• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Gaming news

I've shifted all my physical media, that I owned for films and tv onto my NAS and external HDDs. But for games I am sticking with the physical media unless it was a Sony freebie download. I am still happy to also play old PS4 games and get better value getting second hand games from CEX for the voucher system.

Going through the PS store and the games available which interest me still strike me as less value for money.

I think there will always be a market for second hand physical games especially given the back catalogue of games and also ease with which to share a game with friends/family.

Labib in the YT comments has kindly time stamped so you can jump straight to the game you're interested in.

It's a bit of a weird one. I prefer Sony's approach to games, but not really a fan of what they're releasing. On the other hand, I like xbox's games, but don't like the direction they're taking it with game pass and downloads only. Xbox just has so much variety in their releases. Killer instinct, Starfield, Halo, Gears, Forza, Sea of Thieves, hi fi rush, Flight Sim, Fable etc. Meanwhile, Sony seem to be sticking to what they know only.

It's a bit of a weird one. I prefer Sony's approach to games, but not really a fan of what they're releasing. On the other hand, I like xbox's games, but don't like the direction they're taking it with game pass and downloads only. Xbox just has so much variety in their releases. Killer instinct, Starfield, Halo, Gears, Forza, Sea of Thieves, hi fi rush, Flight Sim, Fable etc. Meanwhile, Sony seem to be sticking to what they know only.
I don't know, there varied but most of those games - Halo, Gears, Forza, Fable, flight sim. Are all games going back to early to mid 2000's if not earlier.

I think the biggest curse is the "remastered" trend. Everyone is sticking with the tried and tested. Any new Ip seems to get hammered at launch, justified at times. So we get tons of remastered old games.

But then again I'm excited for MGS snake eater. That's why they have marketing departments and i only have myself to blame.

I don't know, there varied but most of those games - Halo, Gears, Forza, Fable, flight sim. Are all games going back to early to mid 2000's if not earlier.

I think the biggest curse is the "remastered" trend. Everyone is sticking with the tried and tested. Any new Ip seems to get hammered at launch, justified at times. So we get tons of remastered old games.

But then again I'm excited for MGS snake eater. That's why they have marketing departments and i only have myself to blame.
Speaking of remakes/remasters, there's a rumour going around that Sony are looking to remake Uncharted 1...😮‍💨

Xbox do have this horrible issue of taking forever to get games out though. They've had some of these studios a while now and there's simply nothing there and if I had an xbox, I would be really bored at times I imagine. Least I can get them on PC I guess.

Last edited:
Speaking of remakes/remasters, there's a rumour going around that Sony are looking to remake Uncharted 1...😮‍💨
😂. I just had a ND replay of the UC and TLOU series over Xmas. Big jump in the quality of gameplay between 1 and 2 and then massive leap in graphics between 3 and 4. But still surprisingly replayable even after 17 years.

TLOU remastered for PS5 is still a masterpiece. The big graphical jump made a difference to me. Even though I played it on PS3 and PS4 I still enjoyed it after 10 Years. Managed to get it as I had a voucher when I sold my PS3 to CEX and none of the other games really appealed. Part 2 is still A disappointment.

Currently playing GOW Ragnorak but reminds
Of why I got bored of the GOW on PS4.

😂. I just had a ND replay of the UC and TLOU series over Xmas. Big jump in the quality of gameplay between 1 and 2 and then massive leap in graphics between 3 and 4. But still surprisingly replayable even after 17 years.

TLOU remastered for PS5 is still a masterpiece. The big graphical jump made a difference to me. Even though I played it on PS3 and PS4 I still enjoyed it after 10 Years. Managed to get it as I had a voucher when I sold my PS3 to CEX and none of the other games really appealed. Part 2 is still A disappointment.

Currently playing GOW Ragnorak but reminds
Of why I got bored of the GOW on PS4.
I'm sure they're good, but I just feel like...do we really need another remake? With the PS4/XBO, we saw development times increase dramatically for the big games and now they take so long, we're going 3/4 years before they release. Instead of using that time to make something new, they're just remaking games that played and look fine already. It's an easy risk free way for them, but to me it seems dull and not very creative.

I mean, let's go back to the 360/PS3 and compare now many different games we had. Bioshock, uncharted, resistance, TLOU, Gears, Viva pinata, Journey, The Walking Dead by telltale, dead rising, banjo nuts and bolts, mirrors edge, dead space, state of decay, evil within, deadly premonition, sega racing transformed, yakuza, mass effect...the list goes on. I don't think we got even half that from ea, ubi, Sony, ms etc last gen.

I'm not saying games are rubbish now, but there's definitely something going where the budgets are so high at the top, we're just not seeing the same level of creativity and freshness.

Last edited:

Sounds like big changes are happening at Xbox. Seems the higher ups are not happy with the money they've spent and want a bigger return so are trying to put xbox games on PlayStation etc.

I'm sure they're good, but I just feel like...do we really need another remake?
oh they don't. And I am a casual games player. I only upgraded to PS5 because I got a good deal in the Good Friday sales on one and otherwise I would have sat holding onto my uncharted ps4.

I don't think these remakes are aimed at me but rather the new gamers from PC/Xbox who never got to play them. A bit like films they are remaking - squeezing as much revenue out of them because it's safer to do so rather than take risks.

Indiana Jones and/or Sea of Thieves coming to PS5 would make my year tbh

Sounds like Microsoft are panicking after dropping $70b on buying a studio and then having a poor year last year

Looks like a huge shift to third party is coming

Looks good from what I have seen from the trailer - although first person as opposed to third person in Uncharted. That is one franchise I do miss.

Indiana Jones and/or Sea of Thieves coming to PS5 would make my year tbh

Sounds like Microsoft are panicking after dropping $70b on buying a studio and then having a poor year last year
I think what they'll probably do is continue making hardware for game pass/digital and release things on other consoles to buy game by game if you wish. I think that's fine and will see them win a lot of support tbh. If you like xbox, you can still get one for their games or game pass, or if you just like the odd game from them, you now have access to it on other devices. Win win really.

I just hope we see a return of the shorter games. I'm getting really tired of everything being 40+ hours. Someone on twitter posted a "PS2 manifesto" where it had a points on how PS2/Game Cube/Xbox 360 style games were 7-13 hours (depending on the genre etc) and were made by less people and more focused as a result. It also led to more games getting made with a quicker development time which we need. These big games take 4/5 years nowadays and it's just not needed when most people probably skip a lot of the content.

Last edited:
Bloody hell, feels like I've only had mine 5minutes
I think a lot of these big studios or companies have a choice. As the hardware has gotten better, expectations have grown for better games in every sense, and since the PS4/Xbox One, to make a triple A game it takes a lot more time and money. More then they can realistically risk to be honest, which has resulted in this and last gen feeling very weak in the triple A market. We're getting a less games from them as a result - we've barely had any this gen.

The choice is, either keep going bigger and bigger and hope it doesn't collapse or they go back to xbox 360 or less style games that are cheaper, shorter and with more releases. Personally, I would prefer they cut back as we would get more creative and interesting games.

Latest posts