• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Flannery out of 6 Nations

S

SaintsFan_Webby

So Jerry Flannery has been handed an 8 week ban for stamping on Julien Bonnaire's head during Munster's Heineken Cup match with Clermont.

Originally posted by BBC Sport

I remember Mark Robinson being served a 6 month ban for an incident with Mark Regan a couple of seasons ago. Quite why this incident deserves such a lenient punishment in comparison to others is beyond me. Such a dangerous use of the boot should have a fixed punishment, and a very harsh one at that.

Webby you forget that the ERC and IRB are based in Dublin and will not do anything to possibly upset the cushy deal they have by being there.

Flannery certainly got off lightly and conveniently will be back in time for the quarter final with Gloucester. Hardly seems like a punishment at all.

Having said that he's still a loss for Ireland as we could have done with him coming in off the bench for the last 20 of each game rather than Best, although given Eddie's record with subs that's not too likely either.

Still a pretty tough ban but a blessing in disguise for Munster who will have Jerry Flannery, fit as a fiddle, rested and raring to go.

It was a horrible and needless stamp. Ashame for Ireland though as he seems to be coming back to some form in recent weeks.

well Jackman's form has been better all season, let's just hope that Eddie actually picks him now and doesn't go for Best.

I just don't know what to expect from EOS this season, he keeps coming out with these clangers that I'm half expecting him to pick as close to the side that started against France and Argentina as possible.

8 weeks? bet flavel wont be happy about that either. he got like 10 seasons.

So, it wasn't an accident after all! Fairly light punishment, which makes Munster happy.

Time for Jackman to step forward. He's had good form for the last ten months - better keep it up (IF Eddie picks him).

Its a dissapointing punishment for one of the worst offences in the game. Seems very handy that he'll nice and rested up to take on Glos in the HC. That should have been a minimum 6 month ban, the rules have got to change. Moody got longer for a punch a few seasons ago. Where is the justice in that??

Its a dissapointing punishment for one of the worst offences in the game. Seems very handy that he'll nice and rested up to take on Glos in the HC. That should have been a minimum 6 month ban, the rules have got to change. Moody got longer for a punch a few seasons ago. Where is the justice in that??
[/b]

Hmm,im not so sure. Of course it was a bad stamp and he deserved a ban but i wouldnt say one of the worst offences in the game, his leg was being held so as he was trying to free it the player let go and the momentum meant that it was an ugly site.

There have been MANY worse offences

like this.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb46OZVfqqY

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

Hmm,im not so sure. Of course it was a bad stamp and he deserved a ban but i wouldnt say one of the worst offences in the game, his leg was being held so as he was trying to free it the player let go and the momentum meant that it was an ugly site.

[/b][/quote]

I meant stamping on someones head was one of the worst offences in the game, not Flannerys offence inparticular, ive seen worse.

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

[/b][/quote]

I meant stamping on someones head was one of the worst offences in the game, not Flannerys offence inparticular, ive seen worse.
[/b][/quote]

Ahh sorry, my bad. :wall:

flannery is good but ireland have other alternatives

he shouldnt have lost his cool so close 2 the six nations

well his appeal has been set for Wednesday but seems like a waste of time. He should count himself lucky to have got what he did.

Ban reduced by half - so it WAS an accident ... sort of!

French are supposed to be up in arms, because Audebert's 8 week ban remains in place even after his appeal.

and the LNR have reacted by saying that they now won't enforce his ban. It's a serious case of double standards, Flannery really should count himself fortunate, hopefully it'll spur Jackman on that little bit more knowing that the place will seriously be under threat.

What a crock of ****. Quite frankly the reduction of his ban throws the whole disciplinery system into repute. If a stamp on the head only gets four weeks, where do we go from there?

What a crock of ****. Quite frankly the reduction of his ban throws the whole disciplinery system into repute. If a stamp on the head only gets four weeks, where do we go from there?
[/b]

Headbutting equals no case to answer? Oh hang on....

Ban reduced by half - so it WAS an accident ... sort of!

French are supposed to be up in arms, because Audebert's 8 week ban remains in place even after his appeal.
[/b]

Wasn't Audbert cited for a punch as well though?

Latest posts