• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England vs Italy - 10/03/2013

Thanks to Danny Care, Ronan O'Gara no longer wins the award for worst kick of the tournament.

How did England not score that 7 on 3 by the way?

We really need a new winger (or two) into this side, but who?

I can already hear people crowing for Wade, but the thought of Cuthbert/North running at Wade is a very unpleasant one. Shame that Joseph has been out so long - while he's a 13 really, he'd be a good option on the wing and has the experience.
A thousand times May. Since coming back:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zNyZ1WR-a4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmofRRIKnTI#t=52s

Seemingly back to full speed too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFgYBXwWexM#t=52s

Hasn't looked troubled in defense either. Has to be in contention for the summer.

So is this about right for the England - Wales game?

England wins: England wins Grand Slam Six Nations + Triple Crown
England and Wales draw: England wins Six Nations
Wales wins with less than 7 points: England wins Six Nations
Wales wins with more than 7 points: Wales wins Six Nations
Wales wins with 7 points, England score 3 (or more) tries more than Wales: England wins Six Nations
Wales wins with 7 points, England score 1 (or zero) try more than Wales: Wales wins Six Nations
Wales wins with 7 points, England score 2 tries more than Wales: shared championship

Fair play to Italy, they played brilliantly today and our back 3 were made to look very average, which they are. I would love SL to make a change or 2 in the back 3 v Wales but can't see happening apart from maybe Strettle coming in for Ashton which is hardly inspiring. I agree with j'nuh that May is the man that deserves the chance, love watching this kid play.

I would settle for Woodwards's back three of: 11.May 15.Brown 14.Ashton

I really hope Morgan is back next week too so Wood can move back to 6.

A thousand times May. Since coming back:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zNyZ1WR-a4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmofRRIKnTI#t=52s

Seemingly back to full speed too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFgYBXwWexM#t=52s

Hasn't looked troubled in defense either. Has to be in contention for the summer.

Yup, he'd definitely be my first choice.
Only problem is the bullsh*t EPS system.
He's in the Saxons, right? That makes it a bit easier to bring him in.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2

So is this about right for the England - Wales game?

England wins: England wins Grand Slam Six Nations + Triple Crown
England and Wales draw: England wins Six Nations
Wales wins with less than 7 points: England wins Six Nations
Wales wins with more than 7 points: Wales wins Six Nations
Wales wins with 7 points, England score 3 (or more) tries more than Wales: England wins Six Nations
Wales wins with 7 points, England score 1 (or zero) try more than Wales: Wales wins Six Nations
Wales wins with 7 points, England score 2 tries more than Wales: shared championship

Yup. But we can forget about England scoring 2 or 3 more try's than Wales and Wales still winning by 7 or more points because I can't see England giving away that many penalties.

The likely outcome imo is Wales winning by less than 7, with England still taking the championship.

A stat that really sticks out:
McLean, Venditti and Zanni made 235 meters between them. The entire England 23 made 265.
This is probably because Italy made 4 clean breaks to our 1.

Ben Morgan being fit for Wales would be the best possible news right now.

Thanks to Danny Care, Ronan O'Gara no longer wins the award for worst kick of the tournament.

How did England not score that 7 on 3 by the way?

Which one? The one with Parling's foot in touch, or the one where Goode steps in at first receiver, runs an arc that eats up all the space, and then offloads to Flood just before he steps in front of Flood rather than trusting his own momentum?

I agree with j'nuh that Ben Morgan being fit would be fantastic news, but an unfortunate incident that keeps most of the back three out of the next match would be even more welcome.

Overall I have to say, this just rounded up another disappointing round of rugby. :( I don't really know what to say, this years 6N has really sucked any enthusiasm for watching this tournament out of me.

Maybe we do need a bonus point system, or at least move the tournament to a different time of year to avoid the rain. The players and teams CAN play exciting rugby, its just not in their interests right now. Something defiantly needs to change.

Half-backs: Care didn't play badly, but really doesn't fit with those starting players/game-plan. Flood has shown that he isn't up to it... at all, again. For whatever reason, he doesn't work for England.
If someone who's played as a half-back at a reasonable level could help explain this, that would be great! (I've only ever played in the tight 5)

I still think we need a proper number 8 and our front row are struggling without a proper scrummaging lock.

Good wingers and a running full-back (brown) please!

God knows I'm no half-back either, but I don't think this is fair. Certainly Care's stepped into the team from the subs bench and raised performance plenty of times - and making his tackles and kicks, which Flood did, has been enough to get Farrell tons of media praise.

Both men made half-breaks and looked for support and no one was there. Flood in particular lives and dies by his support runners - if he has them, he can create magic, if not, he'll do a job and little more. There's also a distinct lack of striking power outside them. We've been having problems with penetration in the back line for a while now, since the Scotland game, and basically a break happens when a) the forwards make it b) Manu makes it c) the scrum-half makes it. That's more or less it. Previously there have been mitigating factors, today there was none.

That said, while I fully defend Flood as an England player, I am bewildered by the lack of Burns - who would have offered a breaking threat in himself. I guess by the time Lancaster was ready to move the game had become too tight for his liking. I'd have thrown him and Twelvetrees on a lot earlier.

Agree about an 8, hopefully our options will mature there soon. Agree about the lack of a scrummaging lock - not nearly enough said about that! That said, who? The ultra mobile tight five has been a very important factor for us in the loose, I'd be very loath to lose that.

Not sure anyone can blame the conditions for England's attack today! Hilariously inept.

Play like that next week and Wales want even have to turn up to take the championship. Very, very, very poor.

God knows I'm no half-back either, but I don't think this is fair. Certainly Care's stepped into the team from the subs bench and raised performance plenty of times - and making his tackles and kicks, which Flood did, has been enough to get Farrell tons of media praise.

Both men made half-breaks and looked for support and no one was there. Flood in particular lives and dies by his support runners - if he has them, he can create magic, if not, he'll do a job and little more. There's also a distinct lack of striking power outside them. We've been having problems with penetration in the back line for a while now, since the Scotland game, and basically a break happens when a) the forwards make it b) Manu makes it c) the scrum-half makes it. That's more or less it. Previously there have been mitigating factors, today there was none.

That said, while I fully defend Flood as an England player, I am bewildered by the lack of Burns - who would have offered a breaking threat in himself. I guess by the time Lancaster was ready to move the game had become too tight for his liking. I'd have thrown him and Twelvetrees on a lot earlier.

Agree about an 8, hopefully our options will mature there soon. Agree about the lack of a scrummaging lock - not nearly enough said about that! That said, who? The ultra mobile tight five has been a very important factor for us in the loose, I'd be very loath to lose that.

That's exactly my point though, they are playing well, and doing good things individually but it doesn't work within the context of this team. I think we need a better passing 10 (which I hope Burns can be) and a 9 that can kick.

I think Morgan is already there in terms of maturity, and Billy is there as an understudy.
Attwood has looked impressive in Bath's mid-season revival recently, Savage at Glos, Garvey, Slater...?
I don't know whether any of them are ready now, but out of those four I'm confident we have someone who can fill the role very nicely.

That's exactly my point though, they are playing well, and doing good things individually but it doesn't work within the context of this team. I think we need a better passing 10 (which I hope Burns can be) and a 9 that can kick.

I think Morgan is already there in terms of maturity, and Billy is there as an understudy.
Attwood has looked impressive in Bath's mid-season revival recently, Savage at Glos, Garvey, Slater...?
I don't know whether any of them are ready now, but out of those four I'm confident we have someone who can fill the role very nicely.

Ah, I apologise, misunderstood you somewhat - that said, in the context of the team, I'd rather change what they were working with. I still want Youngs and Farrell to start next week, but the backline is a horrible mess and all of the half-backs would benefit from some changes there.

Morgan's there, I was talking more about Billy - and some options beyond those two would be nice! Someone like Ed Jackson might make it, or maybe Clifford could oust Easter at Quins in the next couple of seasons... something like that.

Most of those are no bigger than Launchbury though - think Slater and Savage would both work out very similar to Launchbury, except possibly without as much raw talent and athleticism. Think Glaws are talking about Savage as a long term blindside anyway. Haven't seen much of Attwood recently so can't comment - would be nice if he worked out his potential. Again, not that big, not like Jim Hamilton or Bradley Davies are! Garvey's the only guy who really does seem that big, and he gets around the park well and I'd love to know why he's not in the general mix. But not sure I'd replace the current second row with him, as a lot of it works really well. It's not like the scrum can't do well with those guys there, we've seen them do it - I think having Corbs fit would solve all issues.

Hahahaha...
England won because Italy missed some points in the first 20 minutes and because of Clancy's favour in the last 20, no more.

Seriously guys, stop to tell ****. Clancy has not refed so badly. Several times, he has been nice with italian who were a bit late in rucks and several times, english players were on their feet disputing the ball on a regular way. But Clancy let played and Italy could have the ball back. Apart, the big mistake of the knock on in the first half (where Owens told him that it was not an italian knock on), he has not been unfair to any teams overall.

Joubert has been totally unfair with the frenchies 2 weeks ago for sure but today, Clancy did not favoured especially the english, I do not understand people that are saying this. I think this is just the underdog that was not far from beating the big guyz that makes people say crap. And as you can imagine, I was more supporting the italian than the english.

If Lawes and/or Parling are out for the Wales game, what the eff do we do?
Both looked to pick up knocks (I think Lawes would have gone off if there was a sub to use), and both have history of injury...

Lineout lock-wise (though I imagine Croft will take over lineout running if Parling goes) we have Robson and...? Gaskell? Neither are international standard, I don't think.
Lawes replacement: Slater? Been playing well for Tigers. How's Attwood doing at Barf? Not had much opportunity to watch any prem games the past couple of weeks, only time I've seen him was when he got double speared vs Glaws. Garvey
Kitcheners been playing OK for Tigers but...I dunno. I just don't like rate him very highly. Looking at the Saxons, other than Slater/Robson/Kitchener we have....Deacon and Botha. ... ... ... Next!

Edit: Haha, just realised this whole post is basically recreated above - that'll teach me to go to an open tab and not refresh before replying :lol:

oh and uhmm....if I may allow myself, just this...a sneak attack....
As I've asserted on this forum before, I do believe that...

Italians to win this matchup next year in Rome !......

:whistle3:

OH MY GOD !!!!!!!!!
FORZA ITALIA !!!!

WHAT a performance by Italy !!! I believe they played even better than against us this time !! I thought for sure they'd get the second try eventually...I'm soooooooooo disappointed at the play when they were like 7m from the line, and the guy was taken at the foot and he was just pivoting 360° looking for support, nobody there...that was the try, England was beaten, and a gaping hole just waiting....ffffffffffackk !!!

That kick pass from Orquera for the try was absolutely SPOT.......ON !
Scoreline so doesn't tell the full story unfortunately, and that's how it'll go down in the history books...one full try+conv. away.

And oh yeh...Italy ??....yeh, guys uhmmm...GET YOUR FAKKING KICKING SOOOOOOOORTED FFS !!!!!!!!!

Gotta agree, Italy were fantastic in the second half and capitalised on English mistakes perfectly. Orquera was the real deal, played just as well as he did against France and Sergio Parisse was phenomenal. Best number 8 in the world for me along with K, Read. Italy could easily have won this one, especially if they had got the conversion and kicked their penalties.

Thanks for giving us a chance at winning the ***le Italy! :D

Latest posts