• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England EPS 2016/17 season.

Hmm actually realised that age might not be an issue in terms of current squad going to the world cup if some players keep fitness up. No one is over 31 currently, so would probably be 33, maybe 34. Possibly past it, maybe not.

Players who I don't see at world cup:
Wood (for me represents old England, who gave away silly penalties and poor decision making, maybe harsh, but I don't rate him overall)
Mullan (if at 30 you can't even break into the first team, I don't see you getting better over the new couple of years)
Hartley (george is better now, simple)

Other 2 if form drops could be Care and Brown.

On BBC highlight show yesterday John Inverdale mentioned reports of talks have started of a England New Zealand test in Autumn. I've not read anything about this, you guys?

Nope, they were suggesting they are hastily trying to organise a game this year... no idea what it's based on.

But it sounds like a terrible idea.

NZ probably checked their bank balance and realised they need us way more than we need them, so by boycotting Twickenham they were on a hiding to nothing.

Hmm actually realised that age might not be an issue in terms of current squad going to the world cup if some players keep fitness up. No one is over 31 currently, so would probably be 33, maybe 34. Possibly past it, maybe not.

Players who I don't see at world cup:
Wood (for me represents old England, who gave away silly penalties and poor decision making, maybe harsh, but I don't rate him overall)
Mullan (if at 30 you can't even break into the first team, I don't see you getting better over the new couple of years)
Hartley (george is better now, simple)

Other 2 if form drops could be Care and Brown.

100% agree on this.

Wood is only back in the picture because of Robshaw and Jones' injuries. When those two are back and Underhill is available, I don't see him staying in/around the squad.

Mullan is a solid and capable reserve who can do an adequate job if needed, but he isn't going to leapfrog Marler or Mako and with players like Genge offering a more dynamic game and a higher ceiling from a development perspective, I can see him being usurped fairly imminently.

The conversation on Hartley is well-documented so I'm not going to elaborate on that one.

Hopefully the Argentina tour gives Eddie the chance to look at possible replacements for Care and Brown. It's likely we will be losing a lot of our experienced players to the Lions, but it's clear we need more depth at 9 and 15, so it would be a real missed opportunity if we don't look at some alternatives.

Robson and Spencer are the obvious options at 9. 15 is a bit more difficult. Personally I think Daly or Watson need to be tried but if both end up with the Lions, I'd go for Woodward.

100% agree on this.

Wood is only back in the picture because of Robshaw and Jones' injuries. When those two are back and Underhill is available, I don't see him staying in/around the squad.

Mullan is a solid and capable reserve who can do an adequate job if needed, but he isn't going to leapfrog Marler or Mako and with players like Genge offering a more dynamic game and a higher ceiling from a development perspective, I can see him being usurped fairly imminently.

The conversation on Hartley is well-documented so I'm not going to elaborate on that one.

Hopefully the Argentina tour gives Eddie the chance to look at possible replacements for Care and Brown. It's likely we will be losing a lot of our experienced players to the Lions, but it's clear we need more depth at 9 and 15, so it would be a real missed opportunity if we don't look at some alternatives.

Robson and Spencer are the obvious options at 9. 15 is a bit more difficult. Personally I think Daly or Watson need to be tried but if both end up with the Lions, I'd go for Woodward.
If Daly and Watson are with the Lions I'd prefer Haley to get a crack at 15

Haley looked very good last season and on the Saxons tour but he's had an injury hit season so far and hasn't looked particularly good when he has played.

He'd be lucky to make the Argentina tour right now I'd say.

So who do we think Jones will look at for England in Argentina? I'd be surprised if Underhill doesn't go if he is available. Genge, Sinckler, Lozowski, George/Taylor/LCD, Robson, Hill (centre), Mallinder?

So who do we think Jones will look at for England in Argentina? I'd be surprised if Underhill doesn't go if he is available. Genge, Sinckler, Lozowski, George/Taylor/LCD, Robson, Hill (centre), Mallinder?

I'd be very surprised to see Hill (centre) included. I reckon of the relatively young centres he's behind Slade, Devoto (that's just at Chiefs), Marchant, Mallinder and Tompkins. Probably missing another couple.

I'd be very surprised to see Hill (centre) included. I reckon of the relatively young centres he's behind Slade, Devoto (that's just at Chiefs), Marchant, Mallinder and Tompkins. Probably missing another couple.

I'm in agreement there. Hill is the main victim of Exeter's abundance of centres. I'd be very surprised to see him in the mix.

The second row and centre are where we're likely to lose the most to the Lions but we also need to look at the back row and fullback ...

I wouldn't be massively surprised to see Itoje, Launchbury and Kruis all tour with Lions. I'm not convinced Eddie rates Attwood, but he and Ewels would be two fairly obvious picks alongside Lawes. For the fourth spot, it's a shoot-out between Barrow and Symons IMO, either of whom I think would complement Lawes well.

Back row wise, Underhill is very likely to get a shot along with Sam Jones (if fit). If not Williams or Fearns may get a look-in. As excited as I am about Mercer and the Curry twins, I think it's too soon and I'd rather see them with the U20 World Cup squad - at least for this season.

In the centres, Farrell is a certain tourist and JJ and Daly (as a utility back) must be close to being definite picks. Te'o is a wildcard but given that he's very much a Gatland style of centre, I think he'll be a surprise selection.

That would pretty much leave Slade as our only centre from the current squad ... if that is the case, I'd go with Devoto, Tompkins and Marchant. Sam James is the other player I'd be interested in taking a look at over the likes of Mallinder. He's shown a lot of talent filling at 10 and I'd like to see what he could do at 12.

15s a tough one. I suspect Eddie wants to look at Daly or Watson but with both likely to be Lions tourists, we may get stuck with Brown. Unfortunately, Haley's had a poor/injury-hit season but he or Woodward are probably the next most likely I'd say. As a left field option, Lozowski is almost certain to be on the Argentina tour and could be worth a look at 12 or 15?

Haley's played/started almost every game this season, and has been in fine form recently Think he missed the first few weeks but played in almost every game since (rested for 2 Anglo Welsh?) and played the full 80 in nearly all of them.
He had a dip, but the whole squad looked **** for a few games. His game against wasps (I think?) was as good as I've ever seen him play.
People keep writing him off because of the Sarries game.

Last edited:
Haley's played/started almost every game this season, and has been in fine form recently Think he missed the first few weeks but played in almost every game since (rested for 2 Anglo Welsh?) and played the full 80 in nearly all of them.
He had a dip, but the whole squad looked **** for a few games. His game against wasps (I think?) was as good as I've ever seen him play.
People keep writing him off because of the Sarries game.

So the big question is are the either of the Curry brothers ready to tour to Argentina? Our backrow definitely needs some young blood. Add underhill and Clifford and we still need some of those under 20s stars coming though.

Carl Fearns continues to earn the plaudits with Lyon with an impressive 52-7 victory yesterday, albeit over Bayonne who will surely be relegated.
I don't know if he'll be considered for the tour to Argentina as he's still playing in France, but uncle Eddie should take note of the rich vein of form that he is currently in.

Same boat as Underhill - if you're playing in the prem the following season, then you're eligible.

Latest posts