• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 6 Nation squad 2024

Slade is set to agree a new contract at Exeter even with the hybrid contracts stalling with only George and Itoje having been offered ones so far.

And Arundell.

I don't get that. How difficult can it be to identify the 25 and get them set up? It's just a shambles.

Well, personally, I don't believe they're the only ones who've been offered one - though I fully accept that they're the only one's who've made it public that they've accepted one (or rejected, in Arundell's case).

Let's face it, of those you'd expect to be offered the central contracts - not many have announced they're club contract, let alone an RFU component. If RFU were making announcements without player/club being ready, I'm sure we'd be hearing tonnes of complaints about that.

There's also the complicating factor that the new agreement between clubs and RFU that was expected to be complete by December, still isn't complete - and the central contracts seem to be very much a part of that process.

ETA: that complicating factor may have put the kibosh on anyone else being offered a central contract (as might the new negotiating team for the players, now I think of that), so they may be the only ones - and more the RFU jumping the gun (or suddenly having someone different to negotiate with - seemingly those least willing to compromise)

Well, personally, I don't believe they're the only ones who've been offered one - though I fully accept that they're the only one's who've made it public that they've accepted one (or rejected, in Arundell's case).

Let's face it, of those you'd expect to be offered the central contracts - not many have announced they're club contract, let alone an RFU component. If RFU were making announcements without player/club being ready, I'm sure we'd be hearing tonnes of complaints about that.

There's also the complicating factor that the new agreement between clubs and RFU that was expected to be complete by December, still isn't complete - and the central contracts seem to be very much a part of that process.

ETA: that complicating factor may have put the kibosh on anyone else being offered a central contract (as might the new negotiating team for the players, now I think of that), so they may be the only ones - and more the RFU jumping the gun (or suddenly having someone different to negotiate with - seemingly those least willing to compromise)
'In part this is because the enhanced EPS contracts are bound up in the torturous negotiations over the mooted Professional Game Partnership between the RFU and Premiership Rugby that encompasses everything from academies to the future of the second tier. That has left both clubs and players firmly in the dark over the who, what and when of hybrid contracts as the recruitment window for next season starts to draw to a close.'
This seems to be the issue.

If Slade is bollocksed I wonder what we do with 13?
12. Tuilagi, 13. Lawrence
12. Lawrence, 13. Freeman
12. Dingwall, 13. Lawrence
12. Lawrence, 13. Daly

As much as I'm not big on Daly I'm probably most interested by that final option as it'd mean we get a different winger in and I do think 13 is his best position

Really hope Roots is done now, he was completely anonymous again today
Would start whichever of Chessum/Martin went there today, but if they don't then I'd start CCS and bring Curry onto the bench - Underhill seems to be the designated backrow sub and we lose all breakdown threat when he goes off

Remember when Borthwick said England weren't good at anything? Still aren't...couldn't even get dominance at the scrum.

12. Lawrence, 13. Daly

As much as I'm not big on Daly I'm probably most interested by that final option as it'd mean we get a different winger in and I do think 13 is his best position

Would start whichever of Chessum/Martin went there today, but if they don't then I'd start CCS and bring Curry onto the bench - Underhill seems to be the designated backrow sub and we lose all breakdown threat when he goes off
Roots has been getting better reports than Slade from most of the experts.

Lawrence's poor performance is the main headline on The Telegraph so that
paper will be puzzled if he survives while others are dropped.

Exeter will be hoping Slade signs his new contract before he is going to be dropped.

12. Lawrence, 13. Daly

15 Furbank
14 IFW
13 Freeman
12 Steward
11 Muir
10 Smith
9 Care
8 Earl
7 Underhill
6 Chessum
5 Martin
4 Itoje
3 Cole
2 George
1 Marler

16 Dan
17 Genge
18 Stuart
19 CCS
20 Curry
21 Spencer
22 Daly

Post match review:

1. Genge - 4/10 - Did he do anything good?
2. George - 4.5 - Meh
3. Cole - 6.5/10 - Good in the scrum and was properly putting himself about in the loose.
4. Itoje - 5/10 - He was ok I guess?
5. Chessum - 3/10 - Powderpuff
6. Roots - 4.5 - Did he do anything?
7. Underhill - 7/10 - Good. Best for some time.
8. Earl - 6/10 - Decent shift, carried well.
9. Care - 4/10 - Just get to 100 and leave.
10. Ford - 4/10 - Just why?
11. Daly - 3/10 - I mean what hasn't been said about this selection?
12. Lawrence - 2/10 - Pure ****. Not sure if he's international class.
13. Slade - 2/10 - He isn't international class.
14. Freeman - 5/10 - Did he touch the ball?
15. Furbank - 6.5/10 - Good. Least of our issues.

Subs:
16. Marler - 4.5/10 - Ineffective
17. Dan - 5/10 - Didn't do anything
18. Stuart - 3.5/10 - Not international class, and poor compared to the first 2 outings.
19. Martin - 6.5/10 - Knock on aside, made a decent impact off the bench. Real power.
20. CCS - 5/10 - Not as effective this week.
21. Spencer - 4.5/10 - He was better than Care. Not saying much. Can see why coached don't rate him.
22. Finn Smith - 5/10 - He's ok. Not particularly stellar.
23. Manny Waboso - 7/10 - Must Start. Electric ball in hand, abrasive powerful and wants to run.

I'm not having Slade, Daly, Care or Ford. Daly. Must. Go.

A position he has never played in his life 😐

Having a fullback and a winger at 12/13 feels more of an EJ move than a Borthball one
Why not the all blacks did it and it worked!!!
Sometimes it is about creating an effective unit, rather than playing what the book says

Why not the all blacks did it and it worked!!!
Sometimes it is about creating an effective unit, rather than playing what the book says
Jordie had played centre 10 times for his club before he played there for the ABs and 12 was his first choice position at Hurricanes before he settled there for the ABs

I'm all for building units that work but not debuting players in vastly different positions against the best team in the world (suck it RSA)

So England have had worse results since last year as expected. The WC semi was a one off game and the rest of the time under Borthwick have been very poor. How gameplan and selections have shown he's behind on modern rugby and really judges played by a spreadsheet rather than how they perform at the weekend.

With SB in charge we are destined to lose and be a terrible team. He's never going to Improve us. The toothless RFu need to sack SB and then fall on their swords and quit.

2023 England 31 - 14 Itlay (17)
2024 Italy 24 - 27 England (3 points)
14 points worse off

2023 Wales 10 - 20 England (10 points)
2024 England 16 - 14 Wales (2 points)
8 points worse off

2023 England 23 - 29 Scotland (6 points)
2024 Scotland 30 - 21 England (9 points)
3 points worse off

So far we are 25 points worse off. We've also selected quite an experienced team with only a couple of new players.

England are a disgrace and I'm really done with them for a while now as I'm guessing many supporters are. SB and the RFU show less talent and business acumen then most level 7 clubs!

Latest posts