• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 6 Nation squad 2024

So if Randall has been promoted to the senior squad, who comes in to the A side? Deserved chance for Warr?

@TRF_Olyy?
Good point, in my head I was thinking whoever doesn't play in the England squad drops down but then they'd only have the captain's run to get acquainted with the side
After O'Sheas comments I think someone like Bracken Jr. is more likely than Warr

Spencer should really get a cap but, if he doesn't, Randall has shown in the past he can run a game quickly from SH. Unfortunately he's also shown quite a lot of rabbit in the headlights moments... Spencer I'd be pretty confident of the level of performance we'd get, Randall could be brilliant, a disaster and anything in between.

Muir and Mitchell out.

Lawrence and Randall in.
Ive seen Mitchell for Randall, havnt seen Lawrence in but im happy about it. Lawrence needs to play if fit, we need some power in our back line. Is he going to be at 12 or 13, lawrence or Manu? What do we think will happen?

I hope not Manu, he's still not on amazing form pre injury, we neeed to move on.

I've got sympathy for SB here as the centres have been made a difficulty due to injuries (like it always seems to be).

It seems obvious that the current pairing need more time to gel but also that they lack power between them. It's all a fair bet that Dingwall and Slade probably weren't his first choice.

So does he go back to his pre injury selection (my guess) of Lawrence and Slade. Or does he keep the current pairing that arnt too suited together and add Lawrence on the bench?

Then Manu who should be done and dusted is still around for some reason. Having him and Lawrence in the same squad is basically being down one player at any one time.

I think SB should really start Lawrence at 13 and leave Dingwall. There's no point in dropping him now, might as well give him the whole 6 nations and see how he goes.

Mitchell out for the rest of the 6N (ACL injury, due back in 2 months ish)

Wouldn't be surprised to see Randall as first choice by the end of the tournament , he's the most similar to Mitchell
Only smaller.

I guess it's an advantage:
he'll be closer to opposing players than they think. Probably get a couple of Scottish back rowers sent off.

I've got sympathy for SB here

Clear breach of forum rules.

I think SB should really start Lawrence at 13 and leave Dingwall. There's no point in dropping him now, might as well give him the whole 6 nations and see how he goes.

I agree in principle about giving players a chance. It's early days but to me he looks a little short of the required standard.

Lawrence on the other hand should be around for a long while and it feels a better investment to see if he can be developed into a genuine 12 / 13 option.

I agree in principle about giving players a chance. It's early days but to me he looks a little short of the required standard.

Lawrence on the other hand should be around for a long while and it feels a better investment to see if he can be developed into a genuine 12 / 13 option.
It's difficult. Yes you want to give players a chance, but also if someone better is available then surely you want them to play. Having said that Lawrence has just come back from injury so is he 100%. The other big consideration is that if the defence depends on players playing games and getting in sync then obviously you want some stability.

Having said that I think neither Lawrence or Dingwall will start and it will be Manu instead. Normally he'd get injured in the warm up, but it seems that now giving him caps outside of WCs is a complete waste of time he's staying fit. Honestly, Manu being picked really annoys me because he's too fragile to be a secure long term option (same as Watson) and we know exactly what he can do and tbh he's not playing at the level he was. We should really be looking at developing a secure long term centre partnership that's not reliant on Manu.

When isn't Twickenham being revamped?

Massive numbers. Even accepting that's where the RFU gets most of its dosh, ploughing hundreds of millions into what's essentially a single use stadium, isn't a good look when so much of the game, at all levels, is struggling.

When isn't Twickenham being revamped?

Massive numbers. Even accepting that's where the RFU gets most of its dosh, ploughing hundreds of millions into what's essentially a single use stadium, isn't a good look when so much of the game, at all levels, is struggling.
It might be unpopular but i think Twickenham is a bit of a dump now tbh. It's ok but that's about it. Every time i go it looks more jaded and seems like a money pit. Old Trafford has the same vibe.

It might be unpopular but i think Twickenham is a bit of a dump now tbh. It's ok but that's about it. Every time i go it looks more jaded and seems like a money pit. Old Trafford has the same vibe.
I don't think it's unpopular. It's also a pain to get to. It's been a while since I've been but I remember the station only having 2 Oyster card readers for 80k travelling fans.

Now I think this will be unpopular I don't hate the Wembley idea. Although that is also far at least they know how to support 80k travelling supporters.

Go into what's on at Twickenham and you just find a bit of rugby.

Stade de France is multi purpose with the Olympics coming to town. Principality and Aviva are also multi use national stadia and even bloody Murrayfield has got 3 Taylor Swift gigs in June. Stadio Olimpico's multi use with the European Athletics Champs this year while Coldplay are popping up there and Eden Park which also hosts cricket.

You can argue that this focus on rugby makes Twickenham special. But in other ways it just feels like an anachronism with little scope to increase revenue streams due to local usage restrictions. So if the RFU pile a load of money into HQ, guess who ultimately pays?

Isn't that due to it's location?
They're only allowed X amount of events there a year because of disruption to locals

Edit: max of three a year, two of which must be on a Saturday

And a restricted crowd of 55,000 for gigs. Lost the US football to the vastly superior facilities at Spurs.

The Twickenham site's got to be worth a fair bit. Surely the aspiration really ought to be to demolish it and build in the Midlands somewhere - where land's a bit cheaper with decent transport links and accessible to the whole country. Start from scratch, develop a state of the art stadium that can regularly be used for other events, has radical facilities like car parking, can be a centre of excellence for the elite and have other well designed money spinning leisure and commercial facilities.

And pigs might fly.

Ewels, Randall, Heyes, Ojomoh and Muir have all dropped down into the A squad

Yeah very frustrating to see Ewels involved - we already know what he can do at international level, he shouldn't be taking a spot away from a youngster, though I feel like all the droppers will be in the 23 (cause why drop them down otherwise, so they can hold tackle bags in the captain's run?)

Latest posts