• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Div Calls on Big Guns...

So who'd take over from Elsome as captain? Horwill? Genia?

Well, it's nice to see Deysel sticking around.

Yep. I thought Deysel played pretty well in Wellington. While he certainly didn't seem to blot his copybook, he is a workmanlike player who gets the job done rather than an X-factor player like Brussow or Mr Wrecking Ball.

Not too sure about Johnson and Kanko. I'd prefer Deysel to start still. Strauss is the in-form 8 with Vermeulen out. Potgieter hasn't had a bad game for the Boks as well and plays better at 8 than 7 IMO. Johnson fails at a third of his tackles. That's just not acceptable. I think Alberts is still out.

Well with only Smith and Burger out as 1st choice players and home advantage we have no option but to win this game. Convincingly (at least in the way we play if not on the scoreboard). Pressure time. And do so without having injuries recur..

While Strauss isn't a dynamic 8, I think that he could be relied upon to put in a full 80 minutes without any major issues.
I would have certainly picked him over Johnson.

Heh?

I thought that it was just me that wasn't wetting my pants at the prospect of Johnson playing for the Boks

If PdV called up yet another uncapped player, undoubtedly there would be moaning that he is cheapening the jersey and such

Any other TRF members going to the game?

I know I might get frowned upon by saying this, but the only reason Johnson is not criticized in public is because he is black. I am not saying he was only picked because of that, he did play well in the Super15 season, but the absence of criticism towards Johnson is odd. Josh Strauss would be a much better option. Or maybe Devon Raubenheimer.

What does Keegan Daniel have to do for a callup?
Not that I am complaining- I am glad he is with us right now, but his form over the past year certainly merits selection.

There is a number of players who deserved a call-up and didn't get one.

Deon Fourie, Keegan Daniel, Sias and Robert Ebersohn, Sarel Pretorius, Riaan Viljoen, Devon Raubenheimer, Gerhard van den Heever and maybe even Louis Ludik

Yep. I thought Deysel played pretty well in Wellington. While he certainly didn't seem to blot his copybook, he is a workmanlike player who gets the job done rather than an X-factor player like Brussow or Mr Wrecking Ball.
I thought Deysel was the Human Wrecking Ball??

Deon Fourie, Keegan Daniel, Sias and Robert Ebersohn, Sarel Pretorius, Riaan Viljoen, Devon Raubenheimer, Gerhard van den Heever and maybe even Louis Ludik

Agree on all of them. I was stunned that van den Heever was not selected for the test v Wales in June last year. At the time he certainly deserved selection over Ndungane, Aplon, and Basson.

Ludik is perhaps not Springbok material, but undoubtedly ahead of Kirchner. I'd also add Tiaan Liebenberg, but his injury this season made it tough.

Alberts is a plain wrecking ball, unable to hold on to the ball. Deysel is a much more gifted loose forward who knows what to do

Kankowski and Johnson released for CC duties.
I'm sure their respective clubs would have appreciated them not being pulled in and out of training.

Is Steenkamp actually fit to play this week? He is a monster and SA's best prop when fit.

Why call up to players and not use them at all? Especially since we don't have a decent backup for the loose forward-trio

Oh, Riaan Viljoen is my newest man-crush (has been for some time) and exactly what SA needs at the back IMO.

Kankowski and Johnson released for CC duties.
I'm sure their respective clubs would have appreciated them not being pulled in and out of training.

Is Steenkamp actually fit to play this week? He is a monster and SA's best prop when fit.

Phew! I was seeing us getting monstered by the Aussie pack LOL. So we're probably going to be seeing 6Brussow, 7Deysel, 8Rossouw. Not too bad. I'm hoping rossouw has a good game; I was calling for him to play at 8 earlier in the year but his speed seems to have really gone missing. Pity.

Stay away from Riaan!
He's Sharks/mine. ;)

He has been the on form fullback, yet PdV will pick his favourite player, centre-fullback Frans Steyn, over him.

I genuinely hope you were joking about being monstered by the Aussies. I think the Golden Lions U12 pack could take them on.

Riaan Viljoen will play for us neh-neh haha. You hoped for Sarel to return to South Africa and signing for WP, but he is going to the Cheetahs after the 2012 Super15 season.

It's odd how many Griquas players have stepped up these last few years. Raubenheimer, Viljoen, Sarel, Basson and maybe soon Barry Geel. They either got a chance in the Bok squad or are named by critics to be selected.

What bugs me though, is the fact that the row that we are famous for when it comes to depth (the backrow) is not the strongest feature at the moment. Not that we cannot replace Burger and Smith, it's just that Mr. Pringles prefers Stegmann, Potgieter and Johnson over Daniel and Raubenheimer , which have the ability to make a massive difference.

Latest posts