• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Div Calls on Big Guns...

How is Butch James picked over Lambie?
He plays a handful of games for the Lions, gets himself banned and overtakes the inform SA outside half.

In the event that Brüssow isn't deemed fit, who would they call upon as openside? Please ignore Keegan Daniel's form; He is total rubbish.

BTW, glad to see Gurthrö back.

With Burger and Brussow injured, it's funny how Daniel is ignored, but I don't feel bad. Now he will still play for us in the Currie Cup.

What bugs me, is the fact we only have 3 backrow-players in a squad of 23! We have 4 props, 2 hookers, 3 locks and 3 backrow-players.

In the backs, we have 3 scrumhalves, 2 flyhalves, 2 wingers, 2 fullbacks and 3 centres. Nothing wrong with that, but why do we have only 3 backrow-players?

Couldn't we drop CJ van der Linde for instance and call up Daniel?

Think they are waiting to see how Brussow goes this weekend for the Cheetahs, if he makes it through the game he will be called up...if not...well, it's then up to the 3 stooges to see who and IF they will select another loose forward option.

PLEASE don't let it be Stegman though!!!

Couple of brain-farts;

- 2 backrowers (Danie Rossouw doesn't count LOL); like mentioned above though brussow and Burger are the incumbants, Daniel is a shoe-in on form but it looks like PdV would rather put the fixture beyond our reach and keep the squad 'tight' while holding out.
- No Lambie? I'd have loved to see Lambie outside FdP for at least 1 game; PdV should have looked at his depth at 10 earlier but there's still a chance..
- or Lambie could have played at 15 as we still have no 15; Steyn is a centre and does not join the line or play well positionally in defense/fielding while Aplon is a wing (that should play at 11 in Habana's stead) and doesn't have the boot- can only kick off left and not far enough to put pressure back on to opposition. I still say Riaan Viljoen was the answer but again, the questions have been left for too late by an incompetent sack of Helium coach.

Last edited:
Some players I would definitely have called up are Keegan Daniel, Patrick Lambie and Riaan Viljoen. As mentioned by stormer2010, we are in serious need of a fly-half with more than just one-dimensional play and Lambie would have been perfect for that. In stead, Lambie has only played full-back while against the Barbarians last December, even Elton Jantjies got picked over Lambie for fly-half. Pathetic.

Oh well, it means the Sharks will have Lambie and Daniel for a couple of extra matches. Not that we are impotent without them (we have shown what we can do especially without Lambie) but it's nice to have more depth. The Currie Cup win for the Sharks will be more important to me than a Tri-Nations win for the Springboks.

Oh would you look at that, they've all miraculously recovered from their ''injuries''.

Some players I would definitely have called up are Keegan Daniel, Patrick Lambie and Riaan Viljoen. As mentioned by stormer2010, we are in serious need of a fly-half with more than just one-dimensional play and Lambie would have been perfect for that. In stead, Lambie has only played full-back while against the Barbarians last December, even Elton Jantjies got picked over Lambie for fly-half. Pathetic.

Oh well, it means the Sharks will have Lambie and Daniel for a couple of extra matches. Not that we are impotent without them (we have shown what we can do especially without Lambie) but it's nice to have more depth. The Currie Cup win for the Sharks will be more important to me than a Tri-Nations win for the Springboks.

The 3N loss isn't as bad as the loss of opportunity to learn of our options and give valuable opportunity for those players against their biggest rivals in pressure situations.

Oh would you look at that, they've all miraculously recovered from their ''injuries''.

Apart from the ton of players that havn't. Also, these players were kept out and managed/rehab'ed to recover in time (as they had recurring ****les rather than carreer ending injuries) so.....

I wouldn't normally say this but youre an idiot.

Last edited:
I have to agree. The matches against Australia and New Zealand were perfect opportunities to try out a new system. Why not give Lambie a chance at 10 with Francois Hougaard at 9? If I was the head-coach and I had to choose, given the fact that most players were out injured, I would have picked a squad more capable of playing ball-in-hand rugby.

IMO, if Brussouw is still deemed unfit by next weekend, then Siya Kolisi for me would be the form player to be called up.

Tis a scary thought that Jacques Botes is the only other decent fetcher that is fit in SA (if I were the type to over-berate our players, I would say the only thing Botes has pilfered in the last few months are his wages :D )

I have to agree. The matches against Australia and New Zealand were perfect opportunities to try out a new system. Why not give Lambie a chance at 10 with Francois Hougaard at 9? If I was the head-coach and I had to choose, given the fact that most players were out injured, I would have picked a squad more capable of playing ball-in-hand rugby.

That's part of the problem.

Your comments are logical. PDiv is not.
Your plan smacks off forward thinking. It's not the current Springbok way.

I genuinely hope you smash the Aussies. It is the one thing that most Springbok & AB supporters can agree on.

The odd thing is that teams like the Sharks, Cheetahs and Stormers/Western Province actually play freakin' nice rugby. I think we just need to be patient for that style to develop into the Bok team. Now with oldies like Bakkies, Matfield, Smit, de Villiers, du Preez, Morne Steyn, Smith, Burger and van der Linde, things won't change. You cannot let someone change his way of play after 20 years. Once those guys retire, the way the Boks play rugby will be different.

That is awesome! I can just see it now... Brussow openside, Deysel blindside with Kanko at 8!

Unless the Australians drop McCalman and Elsom, the SA backrow could run the breakdown.
I wouldn't mind bringing Alberts on with 20 or so to go, if he is fit.

Australia just need to drop McCalman or Elsom and play Higginbotham, I don't know why it has taken them this long, but the guy need at least one try at a full game.

Unless the Australians drop McCalman and Elsom, the SA backrow could run the breakdown.
I wouldn't mind bringing Alberts on with 20 or so to go, if he is fit.

there is a high chance of Alberts playing this weekend....

Latest posts