• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Disgraceful treatment of Fiji by ref and coverage

In addition to the matters raised above, the main issue I had most was I had just watched Chile repeatedly being told to get on with the game in searing heat. Including telling Chile they have no credibility when they walk across the pitch then fall to the ground for an injury (for a water break). Then I see Biggar do exactly that, with no remark from Carly. I didn't hear him apply any pressure on Wales to get on with the game and he simply smirked when Wales did their slow walk of shame to restart the game. Like it didn't matter (because time was off) and wasn't a clear ploy by Wales to gain advantage by slowing down the game and recovering their energy.

The context of this game is vital. This was not a meaningless friendly between Tier1 & Tier2. This was a critical match where a Welsh loss would raise the very real possibility they finish 4th in the group and therefore do not auto-qualify for RWC2027. This would necessitate a fundamental change to RWC qualification which is kryptonite to World Rugby and most Tier1 unions, who favour a closed shop. So this game between Fiji and Wales was arguably unprecedented in the professional era of rugby in terms of Tier1 vs Tier2 relations.

However, in isolation I cannot say that this was a premeditated mission to ensure Wales auto-qualify. Incompetence and wider inconsistency is a more likely explanation.

The things to look out for are:

i) if we get a repeat of such poor refereeing in the equally critical Uruguay vs Italy (the only other match as critical as Fiji vs Wales)

ii) Whether Carly is rewarded for this poor showing with a game in the knockouts rather than being on the plane home when the first group of refs are released.

If Carly goes home and Uruguay threaten Italy and the ref doesn't 'intervene' then I will being giving Carly and World Rugby the benefit of the doubt.

I do not think Wales timewasted against Portugal. However, it was notable that when Halfpenny went for his obligatory contact lens moment the ref immediately said 'play on' and just left him to it. Hopefully a sign that Carly is viewed as having mismanaged that aspect of the match.

The things to look out for are:

i) if we get a repeat of such poor refereeing in the equally critical Uruguay vs Italy (the only other match as critical as Fiji vs Wales)

ii) Whether Carly is rewarded for this poor showing with a game in the knockouts rather than being on the plane home when the first group of refs are released.

If Carly goes home and Uruguay threaten Italy and the ref doesn't 'intervene' then I will being giving Carly and World Rugby the benefit of the doubt.
The refereering in the Uruguay vs Italy match gave me no cause for concern in terms of fairness (just some iffy communication at times). I personally thought the yellow against Uruguay in the second half was pretty fair given how high the tackler was.

I suspect Carly's performance will have been considered poor (given how the refs in every other match have kept the game flowing) and he won't see the knockouts.

So no conspiracy here from my perspective unless Carly magically pops up in the final.