• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Currie Cup: Round 9

Blue Bulls:

15 Jürgen Visser, 14 Akona Ndungane, 13 JJ Engelbrecht, 12 Francois Venter, 11 Bjorn Basson, 10 Louis Fouchè, 9 Jano Vermaak, 8 CJ Stander, 7 Jean Cook, 6 Dewald Potgieter ©, 5 Franco Mostert, 4 Wilhelm Steenkamp, 3 Werner Kruger, 2 Willie Wepener, 1 Mornè Mellett/Dean Greyling.

Replacements: 16 Chiliboy Ralepelle, 17 Frik Kirsten, 18 Grant Hattingh, 19 Warwick Tecklenburg, 20 Ruan Snyman, 21 Lionel Cronjè, 22 Ulrich Beyers.

Western Province:

15 Joe Pietersen, 14 Gerhard van den Heever, 13 JP du Plessis, 12 Marcel Brache, 11 Damian de Allende, 10 Demetri Catrakilis, 9 Nic Groom, 8 Jebb Sinclair, 7 Tyrone Holmes, 6 Deon Fourie ©, 5 De Kock Steenkamp, 4 Don Armand, 3 Frans Malherbe, 2 Siyabonga Ntubeni, 1 Steven Kitshoff.

Replacements: 16 Deon Carstens, 17 Brok Harris, 18 Wilhelm van der Sluys, 19 Helmut Lehmann, 20 JJ Gagiano, 21 Louis Schreuder, 22 Pat Howard.

Griquas:

15 Willie le Roux, 14 Jannie Boshoff, 13 Jean Stemmet, 12 JP Nel, 11 Rocco Jansen, 10 Francois Brummer, 9 Marnus Hugo, 8 Leon Karemaker, 7 Justin Downey, 6 Marnus Schoeman, 5 Martin Muller, 4 Rynhardt Landman, 3 Lourens Adriaanse, 2 Ryno Barnes ©, 1 Steph Roberts.

Replacements: 16 Matt Dobson, 17 Ivann Espag, 18 Edwin Hewitt, 19 Jaco Nepgen, 20 Jacques Coetzee, 21 Marnitz Boshoff, 22 Walter Venter.

Golden Lions:

15 Andries Coetzee, 14 Deon Helberg, 13 Deon Van Rensburg, 12 Alwyn Hollenbach, 11 Ruan Combrinck, 10 Butch James, 9 Ross Cronje, 8 Warren Whiteley, 7 Jaco Kriel, 6 Cobus Grobbelaar, 5 Franco Van der Merwe, 4 Michael Rhodes, 3 Jacobie Adriaanse, 2 Callie Visagie, 1 JC Janse Van Rensburg ©.

Replacements: 16 Bandise Maku, 17 Caylib Oosthuizen, 18 Willie Britz, 19 Derick Minnie, 20 Guy Cronje, 21 Dylan Des Fountain, 22 James Kamana.

Free State Cheetahs:

15 Hennie Daniller, 14 Nico Scheepers, 13 Robert Ebersohn ©, 12 Andries Strauss, 11 Raymond Rhule, 10 Sias Ebersohn, 9 Sarel Pretorius, 8 Phillip van der Walt, 7 Francois Uys, 6 Lappies Labuschagne, 5 Izak van der Westhuizen, 4 Carl Wegner, 3 Ross Geldenhuys, 2 Hercu Liebenberg, 1 Marcel van der Merwe.

Replacements: 16 AJ Le Roux, 17 Brummer Badenhorst, 18 Waltie Vermeuelen, 19 Davon Raubenheimer, 20 Tewis du Bruyn, 21 Phillip Snyman, 22 Phillip Burger.

Natal Sharks:

15 Louis Ludik, 14 Odwa Ndungane, 13 Paul Jordaan, 12 Tim Whitehead, 11 JP Pietersen, 10 Meyer Bosman, 9 Charl McLeod, 8 Keegan Daniel ©, 7. Jean Deysel, 6 Jacques Botes, 5 Anton Bresler, 4 Jandré Marais, 3 Wiehahn Herbst, 2 Pieter Dixon, 1 Dale Chadwick.

Replacements: 16 Kyle Cooper, 17 Allan Dell, 18 Peet Marais, 19 Tera Mtembu, 20 Cobus Reinach, 21 Riaan Viljoen, 22 S'bura Sithole.

Bulls have taken it to Province today, 26-13 with just a minute remaining.

Confirmation of full time score: 26-13 to the Bulls.

Last edited:
Bulls just waaay better. Province line-outs were shambolic, our kicking aimless, and our attack blunt and ineffective.
Bulls were great at the breakdown, Dewalt had a fantastic game as did all the Bulls loosies, I now see why Fouche is so rated, a team could be built around his kicking game, if you combine the turnovers the Bulls effected and the massive and effective boot of Fouche means we had no possession in the effective areas.

WD Bulls well deserved win.

edit: eh... and by our I mean their, hard to get out of the mindset of a province supporter. Just because I'm supporting my home turf doesn't mean I won't cry myself to sleep tonight over the province loss ;).

Last edited:
Fouché has got a very good boot. Shot us down at Loftus earlier in the season. Bulls have been unpredictable this season, but look to have pulled it together just in time. This will put Griquas at the bottom of the log. I expect the Cheetahs to come out swinging tomorrow. We need to be on the ball from start to finish (and no stupid penalties, please lads).

Griquas - Lions busy at the moment. I hope for some fireworks in this match. Let's see if Griquas have the same confidence they had against the Bulls a few weeks ago.

0-3 after 15 minutes and already 2 Lions players who went off for a concussion test.

The match is on Sky Sports 3 for people who are interested.

0-8 now after 22 minutes. Try by Cobus Grobbelaar.

10 minutes later, it's 7-15 by tries from Rhodes (Lions) and Adriaanse (Griquas)

And now it's 12-15 by Leon Karemaker crossing the line after a 5m scrum! Conversion to come! And it's 14-15

Griquas ahead after 2 penalties, but it's a very tight encounter. Only 2 points in it.

WOW WOW WOW!!!! Brilliant try by Rocco Jansen! Griquas on defense, Brummer boots it foward, Jansen goes for it, picks it up with 1 hand close to the touch line, jumps for the try and grounds the ball a milisecond before his foot touches the line!

27-18 now!!!!

Only 5 minutes to go and it's 30-21 by a Brummer penalty! 9 points in it!

TRY!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROCCO JANSEN!!!!!!!!!!! 4th try means a bonus point and the Lions go home empty-handed!!!!! 35-21 with a conversion to come!

Sharks can top the log if we win in Bloem tonight! Draggs, get the beer ready!

Oh wow Griquas!! Well done boytjies!

Awesome hey! Beating the defending champions home and away... That is some achievement!

Let's hope the Griquas stay in the top 4, would love to see them in a semi-final.

There is a possibility of the Griquas playing the Sharks twice in Durban... Imagine that. They don't even have to travel back to Kimberley.

Wow! What a result!
The boys had better be up for it tonight.

The Bulls match and now this has really shaken up the bottom three, Cheetahs will be gunning for us.

Sharks just need to win. If we throw this away now, we will not win the cup this year.