• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Currie Cup discussion

And refs too mate. What about Christie Du Preez` handling of the Cheetahs- Valke game? Had he actually had a clue, he would`ve sorted out the ****le early in the 1st half already. And then maybe THAT tackle on Fortuin would never have happened. As things stand now, because of gross incompetence by a useless ref, one of our brightest stars may never play rugby again. I sincerely hope Schalk vd Merwe gets banned for life for that ****, and that Du Preez never, ever refs another game- not even the Pofadder u/9F team.

Anyway, good news for Province is that after their 62-10 drubbing of their neighbours, and our coastal brethren doing their thing with a 21-9 win over the Lions, we`re only 2 points adrift from the magical 4th spot. And finally, finally Francois vd Merwe gets some game time at lock. See the difference that an old-school tight 5 player can make to a pack that spent most of this season in reverse gear? But as soon as a no.4 lock actually starts pushing in the scrums, cleaning out at rucks and adding his substantial bulk to the mauls, all of a sudden guys like Brok Harris and Robbie Diack start looking like the future stars they were tipped to be last season during Province`s stint at the top of the log. Funny that they`ve started looking like last season just when their partner-in-crime V D Merwe got his recall. Makes you wonder what some of our previous coaches, directors of rugby and CEO`s have been smoking these last 12 months....

Ja all South Africa's TMO's are on some sort of drug, or they are smoking something :wall:

I hear Bevin will be out for the rest of the season.

Ja BokMagic I'm with you, Christie Du Preez must really rethink his career as a ref.
Only a blind person could have missed that "tackle" on Bevin

What a weekend World Cup starting and the WP up against the Sharks. :cheers:

Ja Hendrico, I guess most of the match officials- refs, TMO`s and my personal favourite, the touch judges that just love their 15 minutes of fame during the big games, are all smoking something good.

"Roll, roll, roll your dope, lick it at the end. Light it up, take a hit, pass it to your friend!" (to the tune of row-row-row your boat...)

But ja, the Sharks-Province game is gonna be huge. With Kankowski probably running riot from the back of the scrum, kinda expecting a hiding for our boys. Unless of course we go in with V D Merwe at tighthead lock again, in which case we might just see the best of Robbie Diack. An on-form Kankowski vs. an on-form Diack, appetizing thought there.

It won't be a hiding, but I expect a good game on saturday.

15. Odwa Ndungane
14. Gcobani Bobo
13. Waylon Murray
12. Adrian Jacobs
11. Henno Mentz
10. Bradley Barritt
9. Rory Kockott
8. Ryan Kankowski
7. Jean Deysel
6. Jacques Botes ( Capt )
5. Johan Ackermann
4. Steven Sykes
3. Robbie Harris
2. Skipper Badenhorst
1. Tendai "Beast" Mtawarira

Gcobani on the wing, that is going to be intersting
Jean Deysel on his debut, in place for injured AJ
Happy to see Abi Jacobs starting, he brings creativity to the backs

Who is the ref going to be??

Doesn`t really matter who the ref`s gonna be, I`m sur he`ll be "kak" anyway. Glad to see AJ`s injured for this game, by the way. Might make things just a bit easier for us, maybe get within 7 points for the bonus point...

Anyway, Odwa at 15, Bobo at 14? I`d have rather thought Adi on the wing, he`s got some real pace and all. Maybe Bobo at 14 for his defense on Sireli then? And Odwa at 15 so he can`t mess up a clear try and hope for a TMO mistake?

Sharks lost but it was a close game. That was one best rugby games WP played all year.

Sharks had a poor game first half, but the second half was much better

At least Odwa Ndungane scored a try with out the help of the TMO this time.

The Lions won against the Blue Bulls I'm sure it didn't help the WP cause.
What is a weekend without one or two poor TMO decisions like the Blue Bulls try Ruan Vermeulen
scored in the corner.

Hey at least they are consistent if Odwa's try was given I cannot complain about Ruan Vermeulen's try.

Everything stay's pretty muct the same in the CC log.

Good luck Bokke!!

I just wathed the game now actually, what a thriller.

If they keep using Naas olivier as our primary kicker I'm going to go insane, he threw away a good 10 points in that match (2 penalties, and 2 conversions). By the last 10 minutes it felt like I was watching the final of a currie cup or something, my pulse was racing, heart pumping, stoumach churning, especially as we all know how good the sharks are on the counter attack.

Province played really well in the first half, started losing the plot a tad when the subs came on, and Conrad hoffman is still a little edgy at scrumhalf, but they held out well and allmost socred a third try near the death, which pleases me as we were much more threatening towards the sharks goalline. I was especially impressed with the way we stopped two shark lineouts from 5 meters out with a counter drive, and stole a few lineout balls as well.

I never thought I'd be displeased at hearing the Lions beat the Bulls hehe.

But you really have to make your own season.

Well, things are really hotting up now hey- with the Lions and Province both winning games they were expected to lose, all of a sudden there`s only 4 points on the log between 3rd and 5th. So all to play for really.

Right, with the Boks also having won, and the Namibians really giving the Irish a run for their money (27-17 at the moment, 16 minutes to go!), perfect weekend`s results really!

Ja it was a Lions beating Blue Bulls weekend :D

Sorry but that was an upset in some sorts?

The WP Sharks game was a classic game of two halves

WP had the Sharks in the first half, but then the Sharks came back in the second

It was just too little to late for the Sharks.

Yebo Bokke I just hope you hammer the English.

Weekend results and roundup:

- The Bulls were far too strong for Province, dominating the scrums, the lineouts, the rucks, the mauls and as per usual, the high tackles too- thanks for that one on Aplon, JP Nel you fkn thug. Was really impressed by 2 youngsters in the Bulls pack, Cliff Milton (how do you guys breed so many fine locks over there?) and the little guy at no. 8, 21-year-old Deon Stegmann. Bulls won the match 35-10, claiming their 4 tries for a bonus point, thus all but confirming themselves as semi-finalists.

- The Cheetahs can seemingly do no wrong at present, and notched up a fine 24-19 victory over the Lions, although the bonus point claimed by the Lions allowed them to pull out to a 3-point lead over Province in 4th place. Marius Joubert is looking more and more like the player from 2004, while there can be little doubt that both Jannie Doep and Corniel Van Zyl looks destined for bigger things.

- The Sharks all but ensured themselves of a home semi with a pretty clinical 50-25 victory over the plucky Bolanders. Odwa Ndungane`s making a habit of getting on the scoresheet nowadays, while Keegan Daniels, Ryan Kankowski and Waylon Murray reminded everyone that they`re still damn fine rugby players.

- In the clash of the minnows, Griekwas notched up a pretty comfortable 65-25 victory over the low-flying Valke. Excellent performance by the Griekwas, with especially Conrad Barnard, Herkie Kruger and the veteran Gareth Krause looking sharp.

Weekend results and roundup:

- The Bulls were far too strong for Province, dominating the scrums, the lineouts, the rucks, the mauls and as per usual, the high tackles too- thanks for that one on Aplon, JP Nel you fkn thug. Was really impressed by 2 youngsters in the Bulls pack, Cliff Milton (how do you guys breed so many fine locks over there?) and the little guy at no. 8, 21-year-old Deon Stegmann. Bulls won the match 35-10, claiming their 4 tries for a bonus point, thus all but confirming themselves as semi-finalists.[/b]

Yes it was a high tackle and he did get a yellow card, but what about the dirty play from Weepee? Yellow card for repeated punching from the WP flank, Tiaan Liebenberg repeated foul play and Dylan des Foutain for a tackle and a shoulder charge into the ruck which took out Jaco Engels but this wasn't seen by the ref or touch judge! :wall: . So don't be too quick to point a finger.

Ja well, Province vs. Bulls are generally pretty hardcore games in terms of the rough stuff. And I`ll freely admit that both sides were guilty of it. But JP`s got a repeated history, that`s why I`m highlighting it. Probably because he`s been around the block a bit more than some of the other blokes.

And when it comes to WP-Bulls games, well I do give myself a bit of artistic licence hey!

Hi Guys, does anyone else think that Gcobani Bobo is playing beter rugby this season since coming back from the South African 7's setup?

The Sharks really missed AJ in the game against WP.

I`ve always thought Bobo`s got the good stuff- excellent on defense, pretty physical when taking the ball up, strong in the tackle. Plus he`s always run good lines and been a good distributor.

The only thing that`s kept him from adding to his Springbok cap tally has always been his lack of genuine pace IMO. But you`re right, he`s certainly added a bit of gas, plus he`s sharpened up on his skills, since coming back from the 7`s.

Add it seems that he finally has forgotten that stupid no look grubber kick that he used to do quite often a couple of seasons back.

I also agree his defense is alot sharper and the tackles he makes are strong and hard.

Hi guys The Bulls up against the Sharks

Have you seen the team. Abi Jacobs is playing in the flyhalf position, interesting choice.

What do you guys make of that :huh:

just glad to see Henno Mentz and Johan Ackermann back.

Wp up against cheetahs. This will be a huge game for WP.

Adi at flyhalf? Hmmm, don`t quite know about that. Can`t recall him having much of a kicking game. So yea, will be interesting to see how he goes there.

Hendrico, have you got the team sheets maybe? I`m a bit busy at work at the moment, and the wife and the mistress ( the RWC of course!) is demanding too much of my time to look them up on the net right now.

What the hell is going on !?!? :huh: :mellow: :eek:

First we have the Bulls trouncing WP last week (in what was really a weak WP performance) and this week we have the bulls getting unstuck playing only 14 Sharks for 60 minutes.

Then we have the unbeaten Cheetahs getting shown up by the WP at Newlands ( going to watch the game now ).

it's like one big rollercoaster ride, and it's bloody AWESOME.

Well considering the roller-coaster ride that was the Stormers during this year`s S14, is it really any wonder that Province was the team to finally end the Cheetahs winning run?

Ps- just got back from a bit of a long weekend in the bush, and only the Bok game ended up being recorded (!), so I`ve only read some reports on the games. Can`t give the usual run-down of results. If anyone can post something like that, please do so.