• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Currie Cup discussion

Don`t sweat it Boggle, everybody screams at Province these days! But ja, can`t believe I`m saying this, but Griekwas are looking pretty strong at the moment. But I`m quietly confident- all that the guys need is a bit of confidence, a new CEO, and, IMO, a new captain. Oh well, at least we`ve got the new coach...

Quick results and roundup of last weekend`s results:

Cheetahs beat the Bulls by 44-18. Things were pretty much even stevens for the 1st 50-60 minutes. But then enter Kabamba Floors as impact player, and what an impact this lad can make! Still has Springbok written all over him.

Province were pretty lucky to be handed an away win by a Griekwas side that weren`t really all that keen to actually win the game. Imean, what was that drop goal attempt from fully 60 metres, which gifted Province their match-clinching try, all about? But an away win`s an away win, and I`ll gladly take it. Even if I`m still swearing at them.

The Sharks were much too strong for an undercooked, but extremely gutsy, Valke side, running out 45-22 victors, and outscoring their opponents by 7 tries to 3.

The Lions were pretty lucky to triumph 15-10 over the gutsy Boland. Ironically, `twas an ex-Boland player, the speedy Bok 7`s star Rayno Benjamin, that was the difference between the 2 sides. Awesome on defense, and looked really threatening the 3 times he actually got some ball, scoring 1 try and setting up the other.

The cheetahs are pretty unstoppable at the moment...

The "lions vs boland" game wasn't a rugby game it was more like watching water polo

lol - looks like the groundskeeper forgot to water the grass - a straw pitch!

seems to encourage open rugby though

at least from the Valke's opponents - Valke crushed again today by the Bulls - hat trick from Mametsa even Hougaard got over for a try

Weekend roundup and results:

- Bulls were way too strong for the low-flying Valke, running out comfortable 48-7 winners, with John Mametsa scoring a hat-trick of tries.

- A very disappointing Cheetahs side just managed to scrape home by 22-20 against a resolute Boland outfit, who were once again their own worst enemies in not closing out what could`ve been a well-deserved upset win.

- Sharks managed to pull off a 24-14 win against the very game Griekwas. Very disappointing 1st half by both sides, but the game certainly livened up quite a bit in the 2nd half.

- Lions beat Province by 19-16 in an absolutely enthralling game of rugby, with both sides looking to give the ball air at every possible oppurtunity. The 2 fullbacks,Conrad Jantjies and Loius Ludik, were both absolutely sublime.

When Diack lost the ball I allmost started crying :(
Actually no that's a lie, I simply swore....rather profoundly.

I was actually skipping between the Cheetas / Boland and Griquas / Sharks games and eventually ended up watching the Boland game. It would have been -very- nice to see Boland actually beat the undefeated log leaders at Wellington, but unfortunately like the week before, all they really did was scare the oposition.

So coming up Province have Boland at Newlands, which I would like to believe at this point, should be atleast 4 points in the bag, hopefully 5 though.

Bulls vs Griquas on Loftus, I'm thinking Bulls should take this too, GQ have been awesome this season, but Bulls at Loftus, even with this young side should do the business.

I really don't think it's worth mentioning the cheetahs Valke match but I will anyway, Cheetahs at home vs this years whipping boys of the comp (now that the -awefull- Pumas are out of the premier division*).

Just to put this into perspective for those forumites who don't necessarily watch the currie cup. This is the top of the log team with 8 wins from 8 games, scoring 46 tries and conceding only 11, with a grand positive point difference of 259 and a healthy 38 log points.
At home, up against.
The bottom of the log team with 0 wins from 8 games, scoring a earth shattering 15 tries and conceding 56 with a grand -negative- points difference of -260 and a solitary 1 log point.

Anyway, match of the weekend definitely Sharks vs. Lions at the Absa stadium in Durbs, Here's hoping (for province' sake) our coastal brethren take down the lions, to at least leave some form of a back door open.

Heaven knows we need it.

Jaaas I hope the Cheetahs don't mess up the rest of their season, they started so well. If they play like they did against boland again, its not gonna end well.

Still, I'll keep shouting Province, with my eyes closed so I cant see them play. :)

Which are the players more impressive of the CC?
Which young people have you to notice?

Thanks

Prediction time gents:

- Province to do the business over their inland neighbours, 33-24

- Bulls to run out pretty comfortable winners over Griekwas, 38-13

- Cheetahs, after a helluva scare last weekend, to expose the Valke turnstile defense and whip up a 60-pointer, at least, and

- Shaks to do a favour for their coastal brethren and beat the Lions in a close encounter, 25-20.

Right, knowing how poor I`ve done in tipping competitions to date, reckon I`ve just cursed WP, Bulls, Cheetahs and Sharks. I hope not...

I hope that your jinx doesn't affect the Sharks... I'm not to worried about the other teams...

I think its about time that the cheetahs lose one, and i always want the bulls to lose, who is WP again? Can they play rugby ;)

Yeah, WP can play rugby, it is their records speaking for themselves! Anyway, it is a huge dissapointment for me seeing Rassie is going to be there and he know that us, Vrystaater`s, hate their guts!

Yeah, WP can play rugby, it is their records speaking for themselves! Anyway, it is a huge dissapointment for me seeing Rassie is going to be there and he know that us, Vrystaater`s, hate their guts! [/b]

That's actually quite interesting, from what I had gatherred in the 'social rings of SA rugby' WP supporters don't mind any teams but the Bulls and to a lesser degree the Lions, I hadn't known Cheetahs supporters felt so strongly about Province.

I certainly don't mind the Cheetahs, if I didn't fall in love with Natal's rugby (*it's a distant second , don't worry guys*) during the 90s they probably would have been my darling team.

Wesleyfraser, take a gander at my signature. ;)

Boogle, it is easy! Remember the former union! It was us (Vrystaaters), Transvaaler`s and Union Jack! Y

Boogle, it is easy! Remember the former union! It was us (Vrystaaters), Transvaaler`s and Union Jack! You were percieved as Union Jack.

I know very well WP performances! I do support you when it comes to Super14! Hack, i even went to some games, including that one when you kicked Crusaders arses!

When it comes to domestic comp, i hate your guts!

Interesting fact- the real Rassie has a holiday home right here in Paradise Beach, probably 400m from our spot. So when I happen to bump into him, I`ll be able to get the inside track on what is happening with the real team for next season.

And so the WP saga continues. I personally think wp is just playing poor rugby. It's that simple.

If you look at the Lions game some of the decisions were just :eek:

Anyway GO Sharks!!!!!

Welcome to TRF Hendrico. Jus to let you know, I`ll also be cheering on the Sharkies today against the Lions, as Province attempt to overhaul them for that all-important 4th slot on the log!

Can someone please call SA rugy and tell them we need new TMOs. :mellow:

First Boland are robbed by that decision to award Province their first try, and now Ndungani manages to cock up -another- try, and somehow it ends up being 5 points, not to mention the bit at the start of the game where the TMO couldn't figure out where the hell the try line is.

On another note, is there some kind of magical anti Ndungani barrier I don't know about ?

I've got to tell you, I'm starting to suspect there is.

:eek:

Latest posts