• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[COVID-19] General Discussion

just google "experts second wave" and you'll see they think it's going to happen.

politicians aren't "experts", scientists are
Thinking isn't what is happening though at present small clusters or no cases aren't a wave.

just google "experts second wave" and you'll see they think it's going to happen.

politicians aren't "experts", scientists are
Thinking isn't what is happening though at present small clusters or no cases aren't a wave.
Sure...you know I ******* hate that condescending I'm older than you tone. But sure I'm in my mid-30's but loads of people I know who have been politically active are appalled by this.

So kindly do one with that attitude.
Age is irrelevant so I agree I have a right to express an opinion as much as yourself no attitude in comment intended and if you thought so I apologise.

The second wave doesn't exist because I listed a load of countries that are taking extensive actions to prevent a second wave?

What the genuine f**k.

I thought what happened in March meant even the dumb c**ts among us got the gist of this (unless your in America).
Well I don't think nothing happened in March unsure how you draw that conclusion.
So far better to discuss is there going to be a second wave.?
Why are Oxford worried not enough virus about for trials in UK as its disappearing.?
We don't have herd immunity but various events are pointing towards 80% have natural immunity.?
SARS MERS the brother sister disappeared will covid be the same?
No maybe I'm just dumb actually at school was called Thick then we eventually got rid of the name calling and we call it Dyslexia.
No idea if I have American blood as I'm a Barnardo's boy.

Yeah your an arse and have no idea what you talking about I have several family members that have been diagnosed with dyslexia. Complete opposite is true all of them are pretty clever people who got treated as thick and the school system gave up on them. Once identified and given the help they required they had pretty successful lives.

I'm going with the virologists and epidemiologists on this one, all warning of a second wave.

There have been spikes in those countries post lifting of lockdown. Have you not heard Wuhan is testing all 11 million now? Spikes in Germany and South Korea (night club) due to reinfections.

So you cannot say it "never happened" and I am scaremongering
This virus is not going to miraculously disappear. There is likely going to be 2nd and 3rd waves or have you really not been reading and watching the news and living in a cave somewhere during lockdown?

This autumn/winter combined with the flu could see a bigger impact. That is why they have keep an eye on the R number to keep it below 1 and lift restrictions slowly.
I have never said it never happened.
China reporting no new cases.
Isolated outbreaks to me are that not spikes but open to debate.
97% or so relative to SARS MERS which did miraculously disappear so would it be fair to say the same about covid19.
100% these type of virus are winter related why because stronger UV light destroys bacteria and viruses bench why hospital have used UVC to disinfect operation areas with it.
Outside gives us UVA and B which also kill viruses although not in seconds as c does.
So outside is the place to be.
We use 2 mtr rule 30 yrs of date for outside WHO says 1 mtr with update research.
UCL advice for our Government seems poor ,Oxford far better advice.
If the team working on vaccine say they wont have enough cases to run trials with due to drop , then I wonder why we are still in mass panic mode?
We still have issues in social care and care homes this is where the virus is present, and I believe when epidemiologists say the virus is Harvesting how ever a horrible term that is.

97% or so relative to SARS MERS which did miraculously disappear so would it be fair to say the same about covid19.
100% these type of virus are winter related why because stronger UV light destroys bacteria and viruses bench why hospital have used UVC to disinfect operation areas with it.
Outside gives us UVA and B which also kill viruses although not in seconds as c does.
We use 2 mtr rule 30 yrs of date for outside WHO says 1 mtr with update research.
If the team working on vaccine say they wont have enough cases to run trials with due to drop , then I wonder why we are still in mass panic mode?
We still have issues in social care and care homes this is where the virus is present, and I believe when epidemiologists say the virus is Harvesting how ever a horrible term that is.

:confused:

Specify any evidence well it doesn't exist,unless of course you know something that experts don't.
Never happened China, SK Singapore not at present in Germany or any other European country so I'll stick you as a scaremonger or your just scared yourself.

And no new cases in China? China reporting 11 new cases. It may mean nothing to you, but means a hell of a lot to China, when they are ramping up testing to stop the spike becoming anything bigger.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...19-cases-vs-three-a-day-earlier-idUSKBN23102F

And in respect of SARS and i am sure applicable to MERS:

https://theconversation.com/the-mys...he-current-one-but-didnt-for-the-other-137583

What about a SARS vaccine? Vaccine studies for SARS-CoV-1 were started and tested in animal models. An inactivated whole virus was used in ferrets, nonhuman primates and mice. All of the vaccines resulted in protective immunity, but there were complications; the vaccines resulted in an immune disease in animals. No human studies were done, nor were the vaccine studies taken further because the virus disappeared. Many factors were involved in the end of SARS-CoV-1, perhaps including summer weather, and certainly strict quarantine of all those who had contact with infected individuals, but we don't really know why the epidemic ended. Viruses are like that, unpredictable!

Many of the vaccines being developed for SARS-CoV-2 are quite different, and many use only small portions of the virus, or the virus RNA. This may circumvent the problems with SARS-CoV-1 vaccines that used more of the virus. Vaccine development has a large experimental component; we just have to make educated guesses and try different things and see what works. Hence, many different avenues for vaccines are being tested by different labs around the world.

You need to bare in mind that even coming out of lockdown, there will still be a lot of uncertainty because we do not yet know how this virus will mutate. So you just pointing to spikes and dismissing them and that thinking is not going to assuage people's fears and return back to normality.

SARs and MERs taught countries like South Korea, Taiwan, Japan and HK not to take such viruses lightly. Why do you think their infection rates and death tolls for COVID -19 are so low? Because they learnt from their mistakes in relation to SARs and MERs.

The UK have to be ready for a second wave IF it happens and that means lifting the restrictions slowly, testing/contact tracing extensively and ensuring we have enough capacity/hospital beds/PPE/Ventilators IF required. The inaction of this Government to allow the virus to spread in February/March was bad enough. It would be unforgivable if they were to allow a second wave IF it happened to get out of hand and supersede what happened in February/March.

And if there is no second wave because we have prepared, it does not mean we can slip into this mentality "oh we were panicking over nothing". This is the kind of thinking that got us in trouble in the first place in February/March.

Your dismissal of the new cases sounds EXACTLY like when people were dismissing it when it was in just double figures. Remind us all how that turned out? Living proof people never learn.

So far better to discuss is there going to be a second wave.?

There won't be a second wave if people pay heed to the advice given and ignore the opinion of those ignorant to reality.

If there is no second wave due to action taken, do you think that proves you right?

Why are Oxford worried not enough virus about for trials in UK as its disappearing.?
Citation please

We don't have herd immunity but various events are pointing towards 80% have natural immunity.?
Citation please

SARS MERS the brother sister disappeared will covid be the same?

SARS and MERS transmitted quite differently, neither to my knowledge could easily transmit via aerosol.

Once they were understood, containment was significantly easier than for CoV-2

I personally think it is fear because generally people are scared of the unknown.
You are 100% correct about countries preparing lessons to be learned.
UCL the Government advisers on this must be held just as accountable.
We have apparently plenty of contact tracking in place why not using it's a big scandal .
We test now 120k a day all front line done ,so vast % now are people with symptoms but under 2% actually have it?
We need to start testing the general population with no symptoms to get a true reflection how far the infection is down ,
My wife is a deputy practice manager at a 40k GP surgery figures outside social care and care homes are rare.
The work pressure is virtually non existent and they have layed off 5 locum GPs due to lack of work.
Who thought 3 months ago GPs would be signing on?

Well yes of course there is fear of the unknown; that is the challenge to overcome get people to back to normality. But that will take time and it needs trust in the Government, which they largely have in South Korea, Taiwan and Japan.

Unfortunately, this is why the Cummings incident is so relevant because it is undermining this trust and Bojo can't or won't see that.

We have apparently plenty of contact tracking in place why not using it's a big scandal .

Do they? Can you cite a source that isn't a liar government minister?

We test now 120k a day all front line done ,so vast % now are people with symptoms but under 2% actually have it?

120k/day is a pittance.

To eradicate this effectively, that number needs to be north of 500k a day.

We need to start testing the general population with no symptoms to get a true reflection how far the infection is down ,

You aren't doing that effectively, even with sample sets, with 120k tests a day.

My wife is a deputy practice manager at a 40k GP surgery figures outside social care and care homes are rare.
The work pressure is virtually non existent and they have layed off 5 locum GPs due to lack of work.
Who thought 3 months ago GPs would be signing on?

Which also makes you wonder just how many people have to go to see a GP.

The obvious follow on thought to that would be - should there be (i) a small surcharge for a GP visit that isn't necessary and/or (ii) a small surcharge for an A&E visit that isn't necessary for frequent visitors that usually have nothing wrong with them?

Your dismissal of the new cases sounds EXACTLY like when people were dismissing it when it was in just double figures. Remind us all how that turned out? Living proof people never learn.
I'm not dismissing them I'm merely saying a wave is alot of cases over a whole area not a small outbreak is a smaller area .

BBC News - Cornavirus: Dominic Cummings to make statement on lockdown allegations
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52798632

Ooh saucy. Gotta resign surely. But probably won't.

Hahahah this is like a real life sitcom

Looking forward to it. I can't believe how badly they have misjudged this. Do they think a statement from Cummings will make this go away? You'd think they would have learned after yesterday's attempt by Fatty to bat this away.

There are over 20 Tory MPs who have spoke out against Cummings. As well as discontent amongst the public, Fatty is facing a party split if he sticks with Cummings. All he has to do is get himself a new Chief of Staff and have Cummings working behind the scenes on trying to beat Starmer at the next election.

Last edited:
You missed out Kinnocks birthday party and Ali's funeral (+100). Or are they more liked by the left so don't count.
Or maybe just maybe minor back bench MPs aren't the same significance as the Chief Advisor to the Government...don't reply I know what your answer will be.

I'm not dismissing them I'm merely saying a wave is alot of cases over a whole area not a small outbreak is a smaller area .

Which is what was said about the initial Coronavirus outbreak... Why is the concept of smaller numbers rapidly becoming much bigger numbers something people can't grasp with this virus?