• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[COVID-19] General Discussion

Scottish Chief Medical Officer.

Of all the times not to be a total plank and practice 100% what you preach. Go on little people, do as I say.....

Been stood down from public briefings but kept her job. Bloody lucky in my book.

I found it most surprising that the tabloids had someone following her and taking photographs. Think it was the Sun. Also the uproar about her, but didn't 'Prince' Charles also head up to Balmoral even though he was showing symptoms, which were then confirmed when he was up there.

Also did everyone in the UK get their letter from Boris? What a waste of money and paper, let alone being 2 weeks late.

The stupidity of some people is truly breathtaking. Despite warnings before the weekend that we were in store for nice weather and that people should still stay at home there were still numpties sunbathing in parks and commons today. Do they think that as long as they are not within 2m of anyone they are good to go? Utterly selfish and stupid.

Sitting in public spaces should be banned unless there is a valid medical reason. Hancock was even suggesting that exercising outdoors may be removed if people continue to flout the rules. *****.

Boris Johnson admitted to hospital because of coronavirus symptoms persisting...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52177125

Prime Minister Boris Johnson has been admitted to hospital for tests, 10 days after testing positive for coronavirus, Downing Street has said.

Mr Johnson "continues to have persistent symptoms of coronavirus", a spokeswoman said.

It was described as a "precautionary step" taken on the advice of his doctor.

The prime minister remains in charge of the government and urged people to follow its social distancing advice.

The stupidity of some people is truly breathtaking. Despite warnings before the weekend that we were in store for nice weather and that people should still stay at home there were still numpties sunbathing in parks and commons today. Do they think that as long as they are not within 2m of anyone they are good to go? Utterly selfish and stupid.

Sitting in public spaces should be banned unless there is a valid medical reason. Hancock was even suggesting that exercising outdoors may be removed if people continue to flout the rules. *****.

The stupidity of people never surprises me. But what they did this weekend is just part of the liberal democracy we live in.

Wilson says people who catch Covid-19 can be placed into four broad categories.

The least serious are those people who are "sub-clinical" and who have the virus but have no symptoms.

Next are those who get an infection in the upper respiratory tract, which, Wilson says, "means a person has a fever and a cough and maybe milder symptoms like headache or conjunctivitis".

He says: "Those people with minor symptoms are still able to transmit the virus but may not be aware of it."

The largest group of those who would be positive for Covid-19, and the people most likely to present to hospitals and surgeries, are those who develop the same flu-like symptoms that would usually keep them off work.

A fourth group, Wilson says, will develop severe illness that features pneumonia.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/05/what-happens-lungs-coronavirus-covid-19

Some peeps will consider they are going to fall in the first two groups and risk it because let's face it it's sunny outside and life is about risk and they don't think they'll pose a risk to anyone else because it's not going to happen to them. Stories of what's going on in hospitals is just that to them stories; they may not even watch the news because it's depressing and the media is saturated with it and just follow their social media feeds being interested in what they want to hear and read. As long as they live in their little bubble they think they'll be ok, with little regard to anyone else.

Having said that we do need an exit strategy from this soon, as lockdown is clearly wearing thin as the weather warms up. Certain groups or parts of the country will need to be able return to some normality on a phased basis. But until an antibodies test is reliable and widely available this is going to be the way things are for the forseeable future.

Boris Johnson admitted to hospital because of coronavirus symptoms persisting...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52177125

Must be bad that it's happened/they're publicising it.
If it were for just a couple of tests it wouldn't have been a press release (and likely wouldn't have been at 9pm on a Sunday), they must be anticipating a longer stay/possible step down.

Must be bad that it's happened/they're publicising it.
If it were for just a couple of tests it wouldn't have been a press release (and likely wouldn't have been at 9pm on a Sunday), they must be anticipating a longer stay/possible step down.

Yep, I am thinking the same.

Scottish Chief Medical Officer.

Of all the times not to be a total plank and practice 100% what you preach. Go on little people, do as I say.....

Been stood down from public briefings but kept her job. Bloody lucky in my book.
Fallen on her sword and resigned. Right thing to do.

Having said that we do need an exit strategy from this soon, as lockdown is clearly wearing thin as the weather warms up.

There won't be anything happening soon. There cannot be. Its simply far, far, far too soon.

But perhaps if they learn from the shambles of ramping up the lockdown and publish their milestones for how the lockdown may be eased and what criteria need met for each milestone that it might help - at least people know where they stand.

So not expecting anything.

There won't be anything happening soon. There cannot be. Its simply far, far, far too soon.

But perhaps if they learn from the shambles of ramping up the lockdown and publish their milestones for how the lockdown may be eased and what criteria need met for each milestone that it might help - at least people know where they stand.

So not expecting anything.
We're not even really starting to flatten the curve yet, but we need to do that, and climb a decent way down the far side before we can be released into the wild. Far enough that the backlog in ICU is cleared, and by enough to cope with the inevitable second spike.

Based on China's graph, my guess would be 3 weeks after we've started to properly come down the far side of the curves, then those who've had symptoms will be allowed out*, 3 weeks later for the first batch of the rest of us (I'd guess thenu infected will be split into 2-3 batches for release, to manage the second spike - probably grouped by job description). We must be a good 3 weeks away from starting our descent.
So by my reckoning, if you've had symptoms (and we're lucky), you're probably a good 6-8 weeks away from being allowed out properly. If you haven't had symptoms, 9-18. If your old/vulnerable, then 18-24.

Second spike has to be far better managed (and really should be, with lessons learned from now). A test for immunity would be invaluable at that point. Of course, testing may change the above, as will political will.

http%3A%2F%2Fcom.ft.imagepublish.upp-prod-eu.s3.amazonaws.com%2F25224e0e-777b-11ea-af44-daa3def9ae03

*I'd be allowing the known/suspected cases out first, to "test" the immunity, and see it carries across strains. This thing then takes 2 weeks from action to first signs of a reaction, so you need to give it 3 to judge that it's not just a one-off reaction. This second peak should be fairly small, but the backlog of the those recovering in hospital won't have fully cleared, so it's a judgement on how soon to ease restrictions.
You then release about half of the uninfected, and get a 3rd peak, which should be smaller again. If the second peak is bigger than expected, then this needs to be delayed, and probably a complete rethink given to the exit strategy. The 3rd peak needs to be allowed to run its course, and be measured, before releasing the rest of the non-vulnerable uninfected, for a 4th peak.
That 4th peak needs to have died down almost completely before the vulnerable are allowed out.

Of course, well probably just talk (in private) about here immunity and (in public) about mental and physical effects of confinement, and just release everyone for the second peak, and have to close everything back down again 3 weeks later.

Last edited:
We're not even really starting to flatten the curve yet, but we need to do that, and climb a decent way down the far side before we can be released into the wild. Far enough that the backlog in ICU is cleared, and by enough to cope with the inevitable second spike.

That spike also has to be far better managed (and really should be, with lessons learned from now). A test for immunity would be invaluable at that point, releasing those people first, giving it a few weeks to see what happens, and then gradually allowing others in drips and drabs - probably by job description.
Mrs OH works for a reasonable size organisation and their working assumption is that they won't be back in the office this side of Christmas. Sounds OTT, but suppressing as we are at the moment is one thing, feeding people back in to society is going to be incredibly difficult.

Mrs OH works for a reasonable size organisation and their working assumption is that they won't be back in the office this side of Christmas. Sounds OTT, but suppressing as we are at the moment is one thing, feeding people back in to society is going to be incredibly difficult.

WFH will start to become the norm for a lot of office type jobs. Plus with Zoom and Skype can replace client face to face meetings. So if Mr OH has one of these type of jobs? It may not be so OTT.

we are already segregating society in terms of essential and non-essential type jobs. It won't be easy for sure and I think we may have to various lockdowns on and off in the next 12-18 months unless we get an anti-body test within this time before the vaccine is widely available.

Talking of vaccines. Trump interceding/interrupting when Dr Fauci is asked again to refute Trump promoting
Hydroxychloroquine.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1246956581717192705?s=21

"
I have answered that 15 times he doesn't have to answer this."

yes he does he's the medical expert not you you idiot.

Last edited:
South Korea has <50 new cases reported yesterday, and only 3 deaths.
The numbers out of China are suss, but I trust Korea's, so whatever they're doing is obviously working (they've not even shut down bars/restaurants)

The numbers out of China are suss, but I trust Korea's, so whatever they're doing is obviously working (they've not even shut down bars/restaurants)
Whatever they're doing appears to be testing and contact tracing.
As soon as someone has symptoms, they're finding everyone they've been within 10m of (based on Bluetooth data I believe) in the previous 2 weeks, and isolating all of them.

Every chain of transmission is being stopped at source, as far as is possible.

https://youtu.be/2R2KBbn7dj8

Doesn't really give a straight answer to your doubts on China's figures but worth a watch. But that and as WT said testing and contact tracing is key. I don't think a lot of nations figures are comparable or there are doubts over them because testing is just so variable around the world and most countries other than SK, China have not done the contact tracing.

12th July Orange Order parades in Northern Ireland cancelled.

Every virus has a silver lining

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-52184743

They'll still find a way to light something on fire, **** their cousins and most importantly accidentally insult the people of Ivory Coast by burning their flag in a continuation of a long history of getting things backwards. Only place in the world you'll find a grown scumbag who owns a baton and cheerleader gloves.

Kunnesberg just reported Boris off to ICU....serious stuff.

Latest posts