• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Could you win the World Cup?

goodNumber10

International
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
London Wasps
Right, arm chair coaches the lot of you, so here is a question (s), born out of boredom and an overly fertile imagination.

Do you think you could:

a: Select a Squad, and then a starting team from your nations player population that could win the world cup
b: do you think you could lead them to winning the world cup, i.e: do you reckon you could realistically manage the squad if given the (admittedly unlikely) chance?

Mike-Bassett-605x340.jpeg

If we admit that we couldn't, does that invalidate every opinion we ever have on here ... ?

Am I allowed to pretend to be a Kiwi before answering the question?

Right, arm chair coaches the lot of you, so here is a question (s), born out of boredom and an overly fertile imagination.

Do you think you could:

a: Select a Squad, and then a starting team from your nations player population that could win the world cup
b: do you think you could lead them to winning the world cup, i.e: do you reckon you could realistically manage the squad if given the (admittedly unlikely) chance?

question a: definitely yes because the national team virtually picks itself give or take 2 or 3 players.
question b: no way. However I'd be in favour of players having a big say in the way they want play and let leaders come out and build the team around them.

No worries we already have our own Mike Bassett.

Last edited:
Am I allowed to pretend to be a Kiwi before answering the question?

Only if you have a parent or grandparent from there or have lived in NZ for three consecutive years as a rugby fan.

question a: definitely yes because the national team virtually picks itself give or take 2 or 3 players.
question b: no way. However I'd be in favour of players having a big say in the way they want play and let leaders come out and build the team around them.

No worries we already have our own Mike Bassett.

I dunno about that... Mike Bassett actually beat Argentina ;) :p

Sounds very familiar to me that as we dont have a coach in France of any meaning this is Frances only chance of getting anywhere near 1/4 final qualification by picking random coaches with random players, going on Mon PSA current and past form it may well work as he has produced little better, but a massive ranting how much France had improved under himself after scoring all those points and tries against England, just forgot to mention the 20 pts defeat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but we will soon know the new post WC coach and it should atleast relieve us of the burden that PSA has created amongst the ranks.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm confident I could pick the best squad/starting 15, but actually coaching the side? There's probably a huge amount I don't know about the subtleties of coaching, how to run training sessions, etc. Etc. Anyone who says yes is probably lying. I think you need to be an ex professional player or done all the courses to be a professional coach, let alone an international one.

I could probably do better than PSA though

I would be a terrible coach! My biasness would be problem no. 1. Secondly I know very little about coaching and even less about backline play.

But If I were to coach them, my team would be very dominant at scrum time, and will be defensively orientated.

Also, they will listen to Disturbed's song Conflict just before they run out onto the field...

Guys just to clarify managing isn't coaching... You bring in the right coaches, provide the vision and the over arcing strategy of the squad.

Well if I were managing Wales, I'd bring in the following coaches:

- Retain Shaun Edwards as defensive coach.

- Retain Neil Jenkins as kicking coach.

- Replace McBride with Danny Wilson as forwards coach. He did good things with Wales U20's and transformed the Scarlets forwards during his brief spell there.

- Replace Rob Howley with Nigel Davies. Despite Wales' dour 2007 WC, their attacking play at the time was excellent, whilst the Scarlets backline play isn't a patch on what it was when he was involved. Not head coach material, but a fine backs coach Imo.

I'd maybe also find a place for Lyn Jones somewhere, even if it were in a more developmental role alongside his Dragons commitments. Again, I think he lacks something atm to be head coach at the top level, but he's a great man manager, and developer of young players. He got the best out of the likes of Hook and Henson when others have struggled, and looks to have made a mark with many of the young Dragons players too.

Last edited:
I could win the World Cup with Russia.

Strike that, I could even do it with Scotland.

Guys just to clarify managing isn't coaching... You bring in the right coaches, provide the vision and the over arcing strategy of the squad.

Oh in that case:

Head Coach: Nick Mallett
Forwards Coach: Heyneke Meyer
Backline Coach: Carlos Spencer
Kicking Coach: Naas Botha
Technical Advisor: John Mitchell

Then I'd tell them to compile a team based on stats (like moneyball).

Props: Most dominant at scrums
Hooker: Most successful lineout throws and breakdown steals
Locks: Lineout Success and ruck cleanouts
Openside Flanker: Heinrich Brussouw and Francois Louw
Blindside Flanker: Jaco Kriel and Willem Alberts
No. 8: Duane Vermeulen and Whiteley
Scrumhalf: Fourie Du Preez, and whoever is the next best in line and who as a bit of x-factor
Fly Half: Pollard, Lambie and Jantjies
Wings: Pick the fast guys who can catch the ball in the air and who can tackle.
Centres: Distribution, Defence, running lines and crash ball ability.
Fullback: Willie Le Roux, Jesse Kriel and Cheslin Kolbe.

Latest posts