• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Champions League 06/07

Well yeah he did in the first half and he tried the same tactics this year, but 2 years ago he had to change things due to injury...

Gerrard is not effective when playing further in front of the striker, to be honest I didn't really notice him that much on the pitch, very off the pace...

Well yeah he did in the first half and he tried the same tactics this year, but 2 years ago he had to change things due to injury...

Gerrard is not effective when playing further in front of the striker, to be honest I didn't really notice him that much on the pitch, very off the pace...
[/b]

The upshot of all this is don't mess with Neil Warnock....curses were at work I tells yer!

08922.jpg

I think his worst move was taking of Mascherano, who had kept Kaka reasonably quiet throughout yet as soon as he went off the space opened up for him and he plays a killer ball through for Inzaghi.

YEsssssssssss....

Right got that off my chest, nice to go back to college with all the Liverpool 'fans' not wearing their shirts. I find it stupid that in an area such as greater manchester. You choose to support liverpool, when there are so many other teams to support.

Anyway, that was a boring game. Decided to watch hollyoaks on E4 it was that bad. Two teams playing with 1 striker was never going to a goal fest. Gerrard, mind elsewhere(chelsea or R.Madrid perhaps?) Bloody diving left right and centre, Pennant and Kewell have redefined how to be a winger, fall on the floor and forget the ball.

The only players I had any respect for were Kaka', Maldini and Gattuso. Played with spirit and without the need to be a pansy.

Oh and you pool fans, can you go to a game and not create trouble? Imagine now if it was the scousers who had gone to the san siro. People would be dead.

**** and Scouse, their gonna rob ya house.

BM

YEsssssssssss....

Right got that off my chest, nice to go back to college with all the Liverpool 'fans' not wearing their shirts. I find it stupid that in an area such as greater manchester. You choose to support liverpool, when there are so many other teams to support.

Anyway, that was a boring game. Decided to watch hollyoaks on E4 it was that bad. Two teams playing with 1 striker was never going to a goal fest. Gerrard, mind elsewhere(chelsea or R.Madrid perhaps?) Bloody diving left right and centre, Pennant and Kewell have redefined how to be a winger, fall on the floor and forget the ball.

The only players I had any respect for were Kaka', Maldini and Gattuso. Played with spirit and without the need to be a pansy.

Oh and you pool fans, can you go to a game and not create trouble? Imagine now if it was the scousers who had gone to the san siro. People would be dead.

**** and Scouse, their gonna rob ya house.

BM [/b]

Why should location be an Issue when it comes to supporting a team...

Most of Greater Manchester are Man City Fans anyway...

It wasn't the best of matches but it was better than the FA Cup Final at the weekend...

Oh and how many times did Milan players dive, look at Inzaghi who acted like he was shot when the ball hit him in the chest, and don't even mention Gattuso...

Kaka and Maldini, Fantastic players with Fantastic spirit... But Gattuso, with his sly punch on Zenden, taking out Kewell blatenly and reacting to every tackle made on him by going in two footed and dangerously...

Don't f***ing comment on what happend outside the ground, you don't know the half of it, when you consider the number of fake tickets circulating and what not, the Stadium Authorities weren't checking and just letting anyone in, it was a disaster waiting to happen, as soon as the Fans with Genuine tickets tried to get in they were comfronted by Riot Police with tear gas and battens, now you tell me how you would feel if you had been one of those people who had an authentic ticket for the game and got told you can't go in. There is more too this than what you have just. I find your comments very offensive...

I am not going to a slanging match with you cos I know your just small minded and have to use things that happend in the past against Liverpool Fans, a typical Sun newspaper reader...

To be honest your comments are enough to warrrant a ban as they are offensive and also culturally abusive towards other members of the board but if I was to it would be classed as a biased view...

If that is your opinion then you may as well not be a member of this board.

You can't really defend all the brilliantly clever Liverpool fans who flew over without a ticket and then moaned when they couldn't get one. Those with authentic tickets who were turned away should be angry with 'supporters' of their own club who faked their way in, not the police. In a crowd that large, and quite probably full of growingly aggressive drunks, there were always likely to be problems.

Dan had the right idea, making sure he could actually get into the stadium before booking any travel or accomodation.

You can't really defend all the brilliantly clever Liverpool fans who flew over without a ticket and then moaned when they couldn't get one. Those with authentic tickets who were turned away should be angry with 'supporters' of their own club who faked their way in, not the police. In a crowd that large, and quite probably full of growingly aggressive drunks, there were always likely to be problems.

Dan had the right idea, making sure he could actually get into the stadium before booking any travel or accomodation.
[/b]

I'd be seething if I turned up there with a ticket and couldn't get in...it's not surprising tempers boiled over but what were the Greek police meant to do? The liverpool fans are moaning at UEFA need to look at their fellow reds first. There is no point making a big thing about 40,000 Scousers taking over Athens like it's some badge of honour then acting amazed when there is crowd trouble outside the ground.

I have tonnes & tonnes of sympathy for the ones who had tickets but collectively they've got to self police instead of revelling in the flouting of the rules. This isn't just a liverpool thing, English fan culture needs to change.

Not blaming the police it was the Stadium Authorities and UEFA, People travel because they knew there would be tickets available on the black market, and basically that is because of the number of tickets to the UEFA 'FAMILY' and the 9000 Ballot tickets, however there was a large number of fakes about, and the Stadium Officials were purely letting anyone and everyone in, without even checking tickets... There is nothing wrong with Fans doing that, as Uefa have basically encouraged it to happen due to the small allocations for either set of fans... There is no excuse if there was violence for the police to step in however when they turn around and say in the press that they will use paintballs and not tear gas questions have to be asked about their actual motives, I personally think the clashes have been blown out of proportion by the news, as I haven't seen pictures of it. The Thing is the ticketing procedure for the Champions League is a Joke... Manchester United would of taken more than 17,000 fans if they were there and the same thing would of happened likewise with Everton and Chelsea. Fans are passionate about seeing the club in a final, however it was known that fakes would be about, but when people got into the stadium by flashing train tickets at the Stadium Officials, questions need to be asked...

and basically that is because of the number of tickets to the UEFA 'FAMILY'
[/b]

Yeah but Charlie those are the ones that go to the sponsors...it's their money that keep clubs like yours at the top of the league. They are going to get what's rightfully theirs. The Milan fans knew the score...You should just not go. That's what it boils down to. That's the problem....you can't just criticise the mechanisms in place to deal with the problem or the things that exacerbate it. The root cause is this cheerful "The rules don't apply to me" and the collective revelling in it.

Utd and liverpool will always have a demand-outstripping-supply problem but thems the breaks, Everton have had a few cup lock-outs recently and people got wound up about it. Supporters, as a unit, need to take responsibilty for their actions, self-police and exhibit a bit of discipline. End.Of.Story.

Ultimately the people who went to the ground without tickets or with blag tickets were conning their own.

Originally posted by BBC Sport+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BBC Sport)</div>
Q. Why did Liverpool only allocate 11,000 to their fans?

Liverpool's explanation was that for every major event like this they have an obligation to their own sponsors, their former players and the like.

Any club would use the occasion to award tickets as a thank you to those who work for them, and Liverpool is a club with a strong sense of history and community.

It is not unusual, or unreasonable, although fans might question why so many were distributed in this way.[/b]

That's shocking, it really is. I sincerly hope rugby never becomes such a corporate machine. If always being in the shadow of football is what is necessary, then so be it.

<!--QuoteBegin-BBC Sport

Q. Are the fans culpable?

Any fair analysis will have to conclude some responsibility rests with the fans who knowingly bought forged tickets, and ticket-less fans who tried to rush gates, or just create an incident, knowing in the end, as happens every time, not everyone's ticket will be checked.

It is dishonest and they're cheating their own mates.

My thoughts exactly. UEFA have to take blame for not ensuring they actually picked a stadium with the facilities to cope with such a big match, but a proportion of blame certainly has to be placed with fans who wangled their way in. They knew exactly what they were doing and passionate or not, in an ideal world they would be made to feel the heat from those who didn't get in.

Well both you have summed it about some fans, not all... may I also just say Dan text me saying he was unable to move as there was probably about 1000 more people in his section than there should of been, the aisles were full so nowhere to go...

This is off a Liverpool Message Board, a Fans view of what happend before it kicked off.

I was there last night and fuming with the incompetence of the organisation at the ground.

There was always going to be a late surge of people because there was no (reported) alcohol in the ground so people will arrive within the last two hours(choosing to take in the cafes, etc in the city). Like it or not it is within our culture to be driven by this factor.

With the lack of tickets and forgergies there was always going to be opportunist who would try and use the late surge to gain entry and/or those with forgeries doing the same.

We arrived at the ground before eight and there was not much of an issue. We then made the mistake of going looking for a couple of tinnies. Probably took us about 20mins as we strolled back having consumed a couple of Amstel to be greeted by a growing crowd getting a bit restless. This is how quick conditions change.

The biggest factor was the absolute slowness that they were processing people. I work in logistics and it is basic commonsense that if you have x times left to process you have to do at y rate.

On top of this there were three check points. The last one was a joke and a nightmare. Make shift barrier with police buses manned by riot police. When I go there it was strating to crush and build up very quickly. I decided to go wide and push up against the riot police barriers. Unfortunately the crowd was getting restlesss as the kick off neared. A surge started and I got pushed up against the riot police shields.

I was staring at their faces. A few of them looked like they were ******** themselves. One of them lashed out and booted me three times. Fortunately the surge meant they started letting people in quicker. I managed to slip into a small gap and I was in. No ticket check - it had been checked (in a fashion) on two occasions already.

The slowness and execution of the ticket validation process was the biggest factor. The police were totally unprepared in how to deal with various scenario's as they unfolded. This was also crtical. This is just laziness as they know they can resort to tear gas if the situation gets out of hand.

I didn't see any evidence of people being drunk and causing crowd compression. The crowd build up and subsquent surge/crushing was entirlely down to the poor processing.[/b]

Lining up with armed bizzies at the first check point sets the tone[/b]

Probably my favourite quote from that forum. Surely armed police are a deterent and (with modern society's football fans) a necessity.

If people view that as a challenge to try and start trouble then they really are moronic.

And then some of these same "supporters" who climbed fences and ran over little kids are singing JFT 96 inside. You f***ing kidding me?![/b]

This guy has it spot on - hypocrisy at its best.

also just to let you all know, Dan is ok, although the police he beat up aren't so good... He is now trying to catch up on some sleep before he flies back to where he was staying which is 2morrow...

he is also a hell of lot richer for selling his ticket for £2000, so thats the hosting paid for ;) (*Joke*)

My god Charlie, for someone who isn't actually in liverpool that is one strong reaction to what was about a line of anti liverpool stuff. The last bit was a bit of a lee trundle chant but hey nevermind.

For you to wangle your power about and threatening to ban me is pretty weak, and another warning. Geez you don't like me.

I am sorry, but if you warned members on here for every anti welsh or english comment, we'd all be gone. Hey we are having a bad towns thread in off topic. Why not flounce about in there. I am by no means a manc, but I am northern enough to know that scousers are by certainly the worst abroad. It may hurt, but it is by no coincidence that liverpool fans were involved in the two worst footballing disasters.

Face it, your 'fans' are ****. They don't care for anyone but themselves. Otherwise they wouldn't have charged the gates like they did. Surely the videos on SSN of the charge, the fights in the street and the attack of one liverpool 'fan' on another.

I am sorry but there is no way you can defend some of the actions in athens. Uefa aren't perfect, but how can you prepare for 1000's of fans charging the gates. Apart from baton charges, but we saw where that gets everyone.

Arsenal got to the final last year and there wasn't an ounce of trouble, face it, there is a reputation for a reason.

So i'll continue to enjoy my league two football at County, because there only the football matters. Its not a 'religion' and its not my 'life'. While you and your friends sit in their liverpool property. Oh thats right, your from Yeovil....

BM

My god Charlie, for someone who isn't actually in liverpool that is one strong reaction to what was about a line of anti liverpool stuff. The last bit was a bit of a lee trundle chant but hey nevermind.

For you to wangle your power about and threatening to ban me is pretty weak, and another warning. Geez you don't like me.

I am sorry, but if you warned members on here for every anti welsh or english comment, we'd all be gone. Hey we are having a bad towns thread in off topic. Why not flounce about in there. I am by no means a manc, but I am northern enough to know that scousers are by certainly the worst abroad. It may hurt, but it is by no coincidence that liverpool fans were involved in the two worst footballing disasters.

Face it, your 'fans' are ****. They don't care for anyone but themselves. Otherwise they wouldn't have charged the gates like they did. Surely the videos on SSN of the charge, the fights in the street and the attack of one liverpool 'fan' on another.

I am sorry but there is no way you can defend some of the actions in athens. Uefa aren't perfect, but how can you prepare for 1000's of fans charging the gates. Apart from baton charges, but we saw where that gets everyone.

Arsenal got to the final last year and there wasn't an ounce of trouble, face it, there is a reputation for a reason.

So i'll continue to enjoy my league two football at County, because there only the football matters. Its not a 'religion' and its not my 'life'. While you and your friends sit in their liverpool property. Oh thats right, your from Yeovil....

BM [/b]

You don't know my background so don't comment on it...

Actually I have good grounds to ban you, as I have banned Lora before for similar stuff and it is actually in the rules of the board, not that you would of read them, cos you don't seem to read anything else...

The Bad towns is based on towns themselves not actual individuals, so I don't see the comparisson, so you try and pull something back on me, anti english and anti welsh comments are based on teams and banter, you were using a stereotype to be insulting and abusive to members of the board.

No your wrong again Black Monday, Some of Our Fans are wankers, every club has wankers, whoever you are... You need to read up on history and stop reading the Sun newspaper, as Stuey will probably back me up there is more to the Hillsborough and Heysel disasters than what was actually made official.

The reason why there was no trouble or any known trouble in Paris is because they know how to organise events of a large scale, Athens wasn't prepared for the number of Liverpool Fans that were due, they therefore caused problems, tickets weren't checked properly as you were asked to hold them above your head and the police paniced and didn't know how to control the situation...

Man United Fans got involved in clashes with Roma fans earlier on the Champions League, that is therefore
their minority of fans... You will also probably find that the people who caused the trouble in Athens weren't season ticket holders and were purely going over to try and find a way into the game...

It also wasn't 1000's of fans, so get your facts right before you post on here...

The Fact is the blame needs to be spread between UEFA and Some of the Liverpool Fans, there are stories of some of them nicking tickets off genuine fans to get in and I am not condoning that...

But for you to come on here and post about something you don't know the full facts is pathetic....

And Once again you bring where I am currently living, which is just sad and pathetic because you don't know your facts...

Originally posted by BBC Sport
Q. Why did Liverpool only allocate 11,000 to their fans?

Liverpool's explanation was that for every major event like this they have an obligation to their own sponsors, their former players and the like.

Any club would use the occasion to award tickets as a thank you to those who work for them, and Liverpool is a club with a strong sense of history and community.

It is not unusual, or unreasonable, although fans might question why so many were distributed in this way.

That's shocking, it really is. I sincerly hope rugby never becomes such a corporate machine. If always being in the shadow of football is what is necessary, then so be it.
[/b]

Rugby, is like that.
I mean, i work in a rugby shop that simply sells the products, but all the companies throw out a handful of tickets our way for any international or club game that goes on in wales.
It's just the wa it works. Canterbury wouldn't have the money to sponsor Ireland etc. were it not for shops like us selling their product. So they thank us.
There are lots of shops, lots of employees, both internal and external to the companies.
I know for a fact that there are huge chunks of seating area in the millenium stadium that are corporate only. Well i should, i'm usually sitting there.

yup... its the same in all major sports. an uncle of mine works for 3 mobile in australia and he scored tickets to the boxing day ashes test. hes not even a cricket fan FFS!! he left them in his desk draw and forgot about them.

But not to the extent that a team only gets an allocation of 11,000 tickets out of 63,000 that should be available.