• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Champions Cup - Pool 1, Round 1 (Clermont, Munster, Sale, Saracens)

^ too cool and casual to spell your team's full name I see. Well, take that !!

10612729_920730404622426_7896761603059297400_n.jpg

This is pretty much full strength Clermont. Dudes ain't goin there for beers. Besides Nalaga and Morgan Parra, and maybe couple here and there, can't see anyone missing.

That team is incredible. I'm not even sure there is a weakness in any part of that team, comparison

Front rows-Ziri/kayser/Flamingo are all world class, and I mean genuine world class. Barrington/George/Plessis is competent but I cant see them being able to handle Clermont. In the locks Hargreaves and Kruis are both talented and at lineout time I think we will have the edge. George Kruis should be the captain IMO England have a real knack of producing locks. Back Row is again close with Brown and Fraser both very good over the ball, Clermont dont have a recognised fetcher and we can really slow the ball down. Half back wise I think that Clermont have the edge even without the Petite General. The centres are so contrasting, for Saracens the ever reliable Brad and Chris. Then you have the best 12 in the world in Fofana and the brilliant Rougerie. Back 3 again very different but Clermont have the edge.

That team is incredible. I'm not even sure there is a weakness in any part of that team, comparison

Front rows-Ziri/kayser/Flamingo are all world class, and I mean genuine world class.

Say uh did you just call Thomas Domingo "Flamingo" ?!! You INSANE weirdo !!!!!

I have no clue what will happen tomorrow, not a clue. I'd imagine a very close game throughout and a very tight end and narrow home win...all I can say is from the French side, Clermont fans are fearful of the Saracens. They know the Sarries are on fire this year and are very wary of their abilities, plus they've obviously got last year's match still very much in the foreground of their consciences. I'm a little less preoccupied and believe Clermont's chances quietly...just dunno, but although a Clermont win would obviously be a huge feat and a surprise, I wouldn't be stunned.

Davies injured or just not picked?

Sale Team Mike Haley, Tom Brady, Jonny Leota, Sammy Tuitupou, Tom Arscott, Danny Cipriani, Chris Cusiter, Eifion Lewis Roberts, Marc Jones, Vadim Cobilas, Jonathan Mills, Michael Paterson, Magnus Lund, David Seymour (Captain), Mark Easter

Replacements Shalva Mamukashvili, Ross Harrison, Alberto de Marchi, Andrei Ostrikov, Josh Beaumont, Will Cliff, Joe Ford, Mark Jennings

It's....interesting. Glad to see Sam and Johnny back in the midfield. Academy fullback starting is.....audacious! By all accounts haley will be the real deal, but didn't expect him to be involved other than LV= this season. If he takes even one high ball then he'll be an improvement on McLean.
Strongest scrummaging front row starting, but then no tighthead on the bench.
Two locks on the bench and no back row (though Ostrikov has a lot of experience at flanker and Beaumont has played a bit of 8.)
Fihaki unlucky to miss out.

Davies injured or just not picked?

Sale Team Mike Haley, Tom Brady, Jonny Leota, Sammy Tuitupou, Tom Arscott, Danny Cipriani, Chris Cusiter, Eifion Lewis Roberts, Marc Jones, Vadim Cobilas, Jonathan Mills, Michael Paterson, Magnus Lund, David Seymour (Captain), Mark Easter

Replacements Shalva Mamukashvili, Ross Harrison, Alberto de Marchi, Andrei Ostrikov, Josh Beaumont, Will Cliff, Joe Ford, Mark Jennings

It's....interesting. Glad to see Sam and Johnny back in the midfield. Academy fullback starting is.....audacious! By all accounts haley will be the real deal, but didn't expect him to be involved other than LV= this season. If he takes even one high ball then he'll be an improvement on McLean.
Strongest scrummaging front row starting, but then no tighthead on the bench.
Two locks on the bench and no back row (though Ostrikov has a lot of experience at flanker and Beaumont has played a bit of 8.)
Fihaki unlucky to miss out.

Your Italian signings not been a great success so far then?

Your Italian signings not been a great success so far then?

Not really.
McLean hasn't been terrible, been an average premiership 15.....apart from his work under the highball has been really terrible and has led directly to a number of tries.
Di Marchi has been pants - how much of this is due to him having to scrummage next to an out of position Fridge, I don't know - I'd like to see him start alongside Cobilas before I write him off completely.
Did get smashed by a scrum half on the goal line at saints, not scoring a try in the process, which isn't great for a prop.

What are Sales pack like? Munster will keep it tight and look to grind them down up front.

Pretty pacey with some good loose carriers (Paterson and Easter especially), scrum is average with the starters but as soon as replacement tigthead comes on it goes to terrible. Decent maul but maul defence this season has been poor. Lineout not great - some good jumpers but Jones' throwing is very hit or miss.
Very good at the breakdown, strong defence and love a choke tackle. Not much in the way of tight/grunt play. Tend to just crab side to side without making any ground if we try and keep it tight.

Tight play should work well against us, but you'll have to be very wary of Lund and Seymour, Wasps looked to batter us up front and did well enough but as soon as their concentration slipped for even a second we'd turn it over or win a penalty.

Liking the look of Munster's backrow. Very mobile but powerful. Whole pack looks solid but would have thought Cronin ahead of Kilcoyne considering form. As usual the eyesore of Munster's team is their midfield.

Liking the look of Munster's backrow. Very mobile but powerful. Whole pack looks solid but would have thought Cronin ahead of Kilcoyne considering form. As usual the eyesore of Munster's team is their midfield.

Hurlers last game at 12 2 weeks ago was far from eye sore.
Cronin very unlucky but what a great weapon off bench but certainly no saving him. This is big enough battle.

Last edited:
Hurlers last game at 12 2 weeks ago was far from eye sore.
Cronin very unlucky but what a great weapon off bench but certainly no saving him. This is big enough battle.

He strikes me as being one dimensional. A smash it up type. I'm sure he's been effective for Munster as that's the play they seem to be reverting back to, but that shows a limited skill set in my view.

Hurley played really well against Leinster, that being said everyone in a Munster top did.

He is in the same mould as Halstead used to be

Hurley is big and hard but 1 of most skilful players we have too. Look at tries vs Perpignan, Northampton, Wasps and even Leinster game. He's given so world class offloads. I think people don't give him enough credit.

Uuuurrrrrgggghhh I was sure this kicked off at 3, but it's at 1.
I'm in work until 2 so im gonna miss basically the whole game.

The 12000 capacity AJ Bell looks about 3/4 full.......what do the NW people want? Munster has to be a good enough draw to fill the stadium no?

Penalty at scrum for Sale...3-0

Offside penalty to Munster, after dicky kick from Cusiter who messed aboiut in his own in goal. Penalty given 10 metres out and go for touch....Kilcoyne scores beside the post from resulting line out 3-7.

Cips has made really great pass and two very good tackles.........what do you want Lancaster, he has done more in first 10 than Farrell does in 80!!!!!

Another great miss pass from Cips lets Leota loose on 40 metre break which should lead to penalty....which thickie commentators thought was for deliberate knock on when he clearly said after TMO that was not clear so going to original penalty!! 6-7

Ref now pulled muscle...................

Last edited:
Ref gone off injured. Same ref who broke his legs in a match in France

Another Sale scrum penalty for Cips a metre inside his own half but with the wind............incidentally, stadium seems to have filled up with the guys who have now left the bar!! 9-7

It is all Sale pressure with another penalty taken to touch about 5 metres out.......great looking rolling maul but great defence from the ABs ...sorry Munster!!.....but they can not keep the old Biarrot Magnus out and a score in the other corner...14-7...38 metre penalty to 16-7 great kick!!!

Munster not really at the races at the break down leaving it to rather spread across the field. Great touch from another Minster penalty to touch.

Wonderful try from Leota with some sublime work from Cips!!! 21-7

Last edited:

Latest posts