• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Carter and Evans to leave for Europe?

Yeah, read this in the weekend. Personally I'm not too worried. We still have a few good first fives out there (ie. Donald and Brett). It'll be interesting to see what happens.

I wouldn't read into this too much, there's no quotes from them and they don't know what club the players talking to.

Reports i've heard are that Evans is waiting on what Carter does - if Carter goes he stay's since he will be the new starter.

This is why NH is better, they're poaching our players! lol nah seriously though, wheres all the NZRU's cash? That's why you don't sell your t.v rights to prime! lol

I wouldn't read into this too much, there's no quotes from them and they don't know what club the players talking to. [/b]

How about a quote from the union direct? :p

"The New Zealand Rugby Union admits it will probably lose first five-eighth Daniel Carter to an overseas club at the end of the year.

Carter is one of a host of top All Blacks off contract at the end of the year.

The rugby union's professional rugby manager Neil Sorenson said the likes of Carter, Nick Evans, Mose Tuiali'i and Jerry Collins could all go."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/category/story.c...jectid=10504203

Damn that really sucks, even with our depth it will still have a big impact on the ABs. Its not going to be easy to find someone that is equally as good as Carter and Jerry their positions because those are some big shoes to fill. Oh well we will have to see how Graham Henry handles the situation. A persons true colors are shown when a crisis occurs.

Why is it that all these players want to leave? if the money getting really that bad. Maybe the Heineken cup is the attractive proposition but still i would stay in NZ with the great weather and gives themselves a chance to play for the most famous team in world sport.

I don't think the HC is main motivator in this instance, it's not the only competition they'll play in. And from reading interviews of players of the northern drift, the HC is just about never mentioned.

Alot of players like Matfield and Smit (and Carter it seems) have indicated they're coming back home soon, Matfield has said after he helps Toulon attempt to get into the 1st division he's coming back.

Only difference now is they can enjoy the great weather in a 6 story house instead of a duplex.

The money issue just won't and can't go away. The only hope for SH unions is that the IRB steps in and does something drastic.

That would be something like allowing each club only one player from the SH unions. We all know there's 0% chance of the IRB stepping in unless it got to the stage where 50% of the SH players were leaving.

The money issue just won't and can't go away. The only hope for SH unions is that the IRB steps in and does something drastic.

That would be something like allowing each club only one player from the SH unions. We all know there's 0% chance of the IRB stepping in unless it got to the stage where 50% of the SH players were leaving. [/b]

What I don't understand is that someone like Carter, a centally contracted player with such star appeal isn't paid more. I find it hard to believe that a NH club with a weekly attendance of 10-15,000 a week could afford to pay a player more than a giant world rugby union.

The All Blacks contract with Adidas is worth over NZ$100m alone, where is that money going?

It' not all that bad for All Black fans

"NZRU is understood to have offered the star five-eighths a sabbatical period, up to 18 months, so he could play in Europe next year while remaining contracted to the national body."

So he may return in time for the 2011 Super 14 and World Cup.

Across the Tasman, Giteau makes:
Western Force salary $100,000
Western Force match fee $50,000
ARU Wallaby top-up $450,000
Test appearance fee $150,000
Corporate sponsorship $500-$750,000

Carter being the best player in NZ, he surely must be making more than that. The question is how much?

Maybe not as much as he would make in the north.

It' not all that bad for All Black fans

"NZRU is understood to have offered the star five-eighths a sabbatical period, up to 18 months, so he could play in Europe next year while remaining contracted to the national body."

So he may return in time for the 2011 Super 14 and World Cup.

Across the Tasman, Giteau makes:
Western Force salary $100,000
Western Force match fee $50,000
ARU Wallaby top-up $450,000
Test appearance fee $150,000
Corporate sponsorship $500-$750,000

Carter being the best player in NZ, he surely must be making more than that. The question is how much?

Maybe not as much as he would make in the north.
[/b]

Im sure Lote Tuquri and Giteau are the highest paid rugby players in the southern hemisphere.

You have to remember Australia is far richer then New Zealand...we'll always pay our players more then in EnZed.

I think it's taken for granted that were a big name player to leave NZ then it would be strictly a temporary time only (2 seasons?) so they could get back to NZ ready for the World Cup.
These boys (and their agents) aren't stupid, plus who would want to miss playing this RWC for NZ?

The irony that New Zealand for years were poaching Pacific Islanders and claiming it was fine...

The irony that New Zealand for years were poaching Pacific Islanders and claiming it was fine... [/b]

Glad you mentioned that, I was actually thinking the same earlier but knew that certain people would get their knickers in a twist if I brought it up. :D

New Zealand has never poached Pacific Islanders, players and their families move to the country because that's where the mon...oh wait...

Latest posts