• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Boxing Thread

I think that under sells him a tad, but the ease with which AJ beat him last night does make it look like the first fight was a result of what AJ did wrong rather than Ruiz being significantly better.

Can't see the trilogy ever happening, unless Hearn really doesn't want AJ to face the winner of Fury/Wilder

So was Ruiz just a little fat bloke who got a lucky punch?

I'd probably give him a bit more credit. He is a very skilled boxer who was fortunate to catch AJ during a bad day at the office and then let himself go a bit afterwards. I'd like to see Ruiz up against Dillian Whyte next which would be an intriguing fight. Both probably around no. 5 in the world.

If Wilder v Fury is planned for Spring I can see AJ having an easyish first defence against someone like Hunter. Whyte v Ruiz and Chisora v Parker.

I think that under sells him a tad, but the ease with which AJ beat him last night does make it look like the first fight was a result of what AJ did wrong rather than Ruiz being significantly better.

Can't see the trilogy ever happening, unless Hearn really doesn't want AJ to face the winner of Fury/Wilder
It's does sell him bad but the hype around him leading up to this fight was crazy. He came from relative obscurity to pulling off a bit of fluke win and many pundits had him as the second coming of Tyson. Before the fight you would have been lucky to find an "expert" who didn't back Ruiz. Also disappointed with his press conference where he said he didn't prepare correctly. Well sorry mate that makes you a pretty crap champion

I'm happy AJ won, and he did really well. He was smart. Was a good fight by him, and a good match overall.

So was Ruiz just a little fat bloke who got a lucky punch?

No, Ruiz is a decent fighter and was before beat AJ in June. Many who say his other defeat v Parker in NZ say he won that one. But, this time AJ really used his reach and height advantage to outbox Ruiz and controlled the fight from start to finish and didn't engage in an slugfest like he did last time because he wanted to make a big statement on his American debut. Ruiz totally deserved to win last time. AJ knocked him down for the first time in his career and then tried to finish him off, but then Ruiz countered and concussed AJ in that 3rd round, which is why AJ was never the same for the rest of that fight.

Ruiz gained over a stone though since the last fight and all the partying he admits caught up with him this time round. But if it goes a third fight I'd think AJ would just use the same tactics again to outbox him.

Also disappointed with his press conference where he said he didn't prepare correctly. Well sorry mate that makes you a pretty crap champion

Also, becoming heavyweight champion and being comfortable with it is not easy as history has shown. Love this old documentary about previous heavyweight champions :

Last edited:
Probably Wilder by KO,
Don't know how Fury got up in the first fight but he won't do it again - chins only get weaker with time, not stronger.

It's the old cliche of Fury needs to be on his game all fight, Wilder only needs to be on his game for one punch

It's in Vegas isn't it early hours of the morning? Don't know if I can be arsed to pay and get up for it. Probably wake up to see the result and wait for the full match to be put on YouTube. Not quite the same as watching it live, but not going to enjoy it anyway being half asleep.

Wilder and Fury 2. Cannot wait! I hope Fury wins. Comeback story and all that.

Last edited:
Wilder weighing in at 231 pounds,16.5 stones or 105kgs and Fury at a whopping 273 pounds/19.5 stones or 124kgs. Hmmmm is Fury going to move well in the later rounds carrying that much weight?

Wilder weighing in at 231 pounds,16.5 stones or 105kgs and Fury at a whopping 273 pounds/19.5 stones or 124kgs. Hmmmm is Fury going to move well in the later rounds carrying that much weight?
Fury is too heavy. He will move but not for as long. Can see Wilder catching him in the mid rounds

How much did Fury weigh for the first fight?
I thought he was supposed to be in much better shape for this (as in this is much farther into his come back)

I doubt he'll gas out but his movement won't be the same and that's a death sentence against Wilder

How much did Fury weigh for the first fight?
I thought he was supposed to be in much better shape for this (as in this is much farther into his come back)

I doubt he'll gas out but his movement won't be the same and that's a death sentence against Wilder

Fury was 257 pounds or 116Kgs compared to Wilder's 213 pounds or 96kgs in the first fight. 20kgs difference last time, compared to 19kgs this time, but both fighters blown up more by 8/9kgs each.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deontay_Wilder_vs._Tyson_Fury

Just watched the fight on YouTube before they remove them. Totally dominant win from Fury. Fury even licking the blood from Wilder's ear wound off of Wilder's neck. :p.

Beaten both Klitschko and Wilder in their back yard to win the heavyweight ***les. That is greatness for you.

Hats off, sounds like a totally dominant performance from Fury.

Joshua v Fury would be a massive money spinner. But If I was Joshua I'd be wanting to avoid Fury like the plague. If Fury's heads's right I reckon he could make Joshua look pretty stupid.