• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Barbarian FC v British & Irish Lions

As much as I dislike Farrell, I've never understood the pretty-boy insults...
He's an ugly wannabe northern hardman, with a not particularly out of the ordinary (albeit ****) haircut!?

...you can be inconsiderate some times apprentice....HEARTLESS EVEN !!...*runs away crying loudly*

Further to my point about changing who plays for the Barbarians, I've read an article in the Citizen (This is Gloucestershire) about how Barbarians players had been midweek drinking and such. (Source.) I think that players should only be picked for the Barbarians if they can promise focus on the task at hand. The Barbarians are turning into a bit of an embarrassment to be honest, because the tradition seems not to be getting the respect of the players.

It is of course obligatory and adds at least 10 quid to every ticket................!!

...you can be inconsiderate some times apprentice....HEARTLESS EVEN !!...*runs away crying loudly*

29fzexi.jpg

This thread is the Juan!

Some serious critics and some serious people with monkeys on their backs. A good win in what was infront of them.

Lot of good performances and a place for the Lions to build upon. As for the quote about it being money making ... so what. It was a warmup game which many on here and in the media were building as a game the Lions should watch themselves.

A job done, a good start to the tour with some very good performances and a bar set for the level that needs to be played. Of course the real tests begin in Australia, but momentum is key.

This thread is the Juan!

Some serious critics and some serious people with monkeys on their backs. A good win in what was infront of them.

Lot of good performances and a place for the Lions to build upon. As for the quote about it being money making ... so what. It was a warmup game which many on here and in the media were building as a game the Lions should watch themselves.

A job done, a good start to the tour with some very good performances and a bar set for the level that needs to be played. Of course the real tests begin in Australia, but momentum is key.

That was after seeing the team on paper (Fotuali'i, Evans, Parisse etc). Most changed their opinion after the "effort" put in whilst getting thrashed by England's experimental team. This Barbarians team reached about 1/10 of the quality it had on paper.

That was after seeing the team on paper (Fotuali'i, Evans, Parisse etc). Most changed their opinion after the "effort" put in whilst getting thrashed by England's experimental team. This Barbarians team reached about 1/10 of the quality it had on paper.

There is a tremendous social side to the Barbs side that would not be coutenanced by a truly professional side that was trying to do something serious.......players, and no names, have been known to be injured for a few weeks before such games for the money on offer and the social side of the game that is provided....15k plus all expenses and bar bills?! Why not........

There was no way that a Barbs side could ever prove to be a great test for England or the Lions and anyone who thought they would is blinkered!

In truth, the conditions acted as a bit of a leveller to this game and distracted the Lions which was a Welsh side with invitation guests!!

There is a tremendous social side to the Barbs side that would not be coutenanced by a truly professional side that was trying to do something serious.......players, and no names, have been known to be injured for a few weeks before such games for the money on offer and the social side of the game that is provided....15k plus all expenses and bar bills?! Why not........

There was no way that a Barbs side could ever prove to be a great test for England or the Lions and anyone who thought they would is blinkered!

In truth, the conditions acted as a bit of a leveller to this game and distracted the Lions which was a Welsh side with invitation guests!!

No, that was only apparent after the England match. Whilst the team has been poor the past 2 or 3 years, let's not forget that in 2009 they beat New Zealand, 2010 they beat South Africa, in 2011 they beat England and Wales.

With the calibre of players they had this time, it is not "blinkered" to have suspected that they could have possibly done the same against a Lions team that struggled against a weakened Argentina and then Royal XV on their last two opening matches. It was only apparent after the England performance that this particular squad of Baabaas were not up to much.

I'm really regretting not saving the photo that Castrogiovanni uploaded to twitter, of himself, Samu Manoa and Parisse all with drinks and Sergio with a lit fag in his hand.
It's since been removed!

Why do people keep talking about everyone criticising people there's not really much, except for mandatory Farrell bashing of course.

Had to wait for a while to see this game after missing it this afternoon.

I'm not quite sure what some were expecting tbh, I'd call a ~50 point win in really difficult conditions a good result!

The majority of the Lions players went well. Adam Jones, Phillips, Tipuric and Roberts were possibly the stand-outs.
I was thoroughly unimpressed with Farrell though. A chip over the rushing defence was the only thing he did well. Otherwise his passing was poor (yes the conditions were bad, but others coped!), he was charged down, and his kicking was poor. I seriously fail to understand what he offers and would prefer any number of players ahead of him especially Biggar or Wilko.

I wasn't too impressed with Maitland either. He had a couple of opportunities, which he failed to take. In comparison, Cuthbert had two chances and took both. Saying that, on another day he takes those balls, and scores, so I will certainly not write him off yet.

Kinda odd that North's first taste of playing at centre in professional rugby has come for the Lions. I'm guessing that Gatland is looking ahead to what sort of bench he can pick, and whether North could cover centre in the event of injuries in a test.

The backrow is still as hotly contested as ever, possibly more than ever. I thought Lydiate, Tupuric and Faletau all played well. Faletau's hands today were top notch when all around him players were struggling with the slippery ball. Add to them a return to form for Croft and Heaslip + SOB and of course the captain, Warburton, and I honestly have no idea what the starting test backrow will be. Warburton is expected, but I'm not entirely sure that's 100% certain.

My lions player ratings would be as follows:

01 Mako Vunipola - 7/10. Part of an excellent scrummaging performance, thoroughly on top of Castro in that aspect. Looked for work, although was a little infective early on with his carrying, though that improved.
02 Richard Hibbard - 7/10. Mostly solid lineout throwing. Part of a strong scrum, made his presence felt around the field with a few big tackles and strong carries.
03 Adam Jones - 7/10. Well and truly got the better of James in the scrum (first time the two have faced each other?). Nice flick off the floor which almost led to Tipuric scoring.
04 Richie Gray - 5/10. Started strongly with a couple of encouraging carries. But really faded I felt.
05 Paul O'Connell - 6/10. Industrious carrying early on. Snuck in for a try early on. But he too faded quite badly I thought.
06 Dan Lydiate - 7/10. Industrious as always. Grabbed a try from the rolling maul late on.
07 Justin Tipuric - 8/10. Really good display from Tips I thought. His link play was integral to the Lions success. Unlucky not to get a try (well great defensive work by Roks).
08 Toby Faletau - 8/10. Solid at the re-start. Some nice soft hands shown throughout. Carried well.

09 Mike Phillips - 8/10. A couple of loose passes aside, he showed again that he performs on the big stage. Two tries, and could have had three. There are still elements of his game I dislike, but when he has that kinda impact on a game, it's difficult not to be happy he's playing.
10 Owen Farrell - 4/10. Really wasn't impressed. Slotted a few simple kicks, one nice chip, and one nice up n' under was all I really noticed him do well. Otherwise he got charged down, and his passing poor.
11 Sean Maitland - 5/10. Could have easily been a 7, had he not bombed both opportunities which came his way.
12 Jamie Roberts - 8/10. Looked sharper than he has for a while. Crossed the gain line every time he took it up. Lovely take from Farrell's up n' under. Put in a few nice passes as well, including his nicely delayed pass for Cuthbert's try.
13 Jon Davies - 7/10. Started strongly with a nice flick followed by a nice kick. Solid tackle on Daly late on. A couple of errors crept into his game in the second half.
14 Alex Cuthbert - 7/10. Relatively quiet until his two try's. Still he took both try's well.
15 Stuart Hogg - 7/10. Looked sharp and covered well in defence. On another day he too could have picked up a try or two.

16 Tom Youngs - 6/10. Put in a few decent carries. Lineout wobbled a little with him on.
17 Cian Healy - 6/10. Did nothing much wrong in his time on the field, but didn't really stand-out either. Expect him to be much better next time out.
18 Matt Stevens - 5/10. Lions scrum struggled a little on his side after he came on. Didn't notice him too much in the loose either.
19 Alun-Wyn Jones - 8/10. Great during his time on the field, both during POC's blood bin, and in the last 20. Capped it off with a try at the death.
20 Jamie Heaslip - 7/10. Worked hard, with a few strong carries. Looks like he's returning to something close to his best.
21 Conor Murray - 7/10. Nice break to set-up Cuthbert's second try and generally continued from where Phillips left off.
22 Johnny Sexton - 6/10. Preferred Sexton's distribution, but he was off target from the tee.
23 George North - 7/10. Came on in an unfamiliar position. Only touched the ball once where he ploughed over the gain line. Did nothing wrong otherwise.

Last edited:
Just disappointed with the game plan tbh. All of the attack came from smashing the Baa Baas at the fringes and I don't think it'll work vs. the Aussies.

Yup agree with that. Too much aimless kicking as well.

Phillips was made to look much better than his actual skill level. Since he got his hands on the ball at every phase, he got more chances than most and he did well to take them. But his passing wasn't fast or accurate enough, and I know that the Lions will struggle in the tests if they plan on building their game around him darting the fringes.

Definitely agree there. I've watched a couple of Biarittz games when he's been playing and he hasn't played well for them. He doesn't do scrum half 101 i.e ball is available, fast accurate pass off the deck to the 10 & repeat. That's what he needs to be doing 90% of the time. Those cute little runs he does will work against a disorganized Babas side, but not against Australia. I'd also like to see BOD & Tuilagi in the centres together - potentially a great combination. I know MT is a 13, but could easily play 12.

Phillips is Bayonne player not Biarritz! Bayonne maybe only 2 miles away but is as far as Everton is from Liverpool to their supporters.......Brits cited and hearing today!

Last edited:
Dullonien would bump PO'C up a bit he was fantastic.

Also not saying change the rating but Healy made one or two pretty big carries and some strong scrummaging, certainly stood out to me.

Otherwise pretty much agree except maybe dropping Faletau down one.

Well Nice win to start the tour, nicer score line and 80 minutes of rugby that the Lions have now played together.

As many have stated, the Lions XV was fundamentally a Welsh side with a few guests, and it showed on the whole. I thought the pack worked well, and showed some good touches and eagerness to offload from the tackle. Haven't seen much of Vunipola but seemed to work well with Hibbard and Jones. Looked rather comfortable with ball in hand also for a big lad, so it was nice to see.

Back row functioned as it should, settled and effective. Didn't see much of Faletau from scrums, but looked comfortable receiving the kick offs, and made some positive yards to put Lions on the front foot. Can't believe Lydiate played a full 80, encouraging to see after his stop start season. Tipuric showing that Waburton has a tough job on his hands to keep the 7 shirt. I agree that the captaincy is possibly helping his case immensely but Warbruton is a great player and offers a little more physicality and size, which Gatland seems a fan of.

I'm very surprised to see that no-one has commented on the immensely awful Show and Go made by Paul O'Connell for his try?? Was I the only one thinking he made no attempt to convince the defense, and did it for the TV ;) ;) Nice finish nevertheless :D

I do wonder whether a match like this has any significance for the tour ahead. Its nice to see the Lions play against a team constructed of different nationalities, but from a rugby playing point of view, would it not be more beneficial for the Lions to play a settled team, with clear tactics and strategies in place? I know the midweek warm up matches will serve their purpose, but why not start the tour against settled opposition??

I know morale would take a hammering, if Lions were to lose opening match, but surely its more beneficial to a coaching team to learn from mistakes rather than a sugar coated win against an invitational side??

Yeah I agree with TVH11 and a few others - I'm struggling to really take all that much from this game in terms of understanding of our squad and what may or may not work for the bigger games. It'd be much better preparation to play another side with some semblance of cohesion and organisation, even if it was a side of lower level than super XV. I would expect any super rugby side to put away this barbarians. I don't want to be mr skeptical, but I doubt you'd see Mike Philips glide past defences like that against any other opposition. The other thing is that as TVH pointed out this was predominantly a welsh side who are throoughly used to one another. In many ways it was much harder for the handful of other British guys who had to try and gel in amongst them.

On another note, I'm really disappointed to hear that Ioane, Higgingbotham and Timani are injury doubts. I want the best players to be out there against the lions, and that just sucks if those guys arn't there.

Timani and Ioane (really) they can probably live without, but Higginbotham is a pretty serious dent in their team.

Higginbotham's having his scan today I think so we should know soon enough. Apparently the shoulder went back in ok.

I think that Adam Jones cemented his spot as a starter (if there was still anyone doubting it), and Richard Hibbard made a very strong case for himself. His throwing was very good (and, I think, throwing is the main reason Hartley was in the squad to begin with).

As many have stated, the Lions XV was fundamentally a Welsh side with a few guests, and it showed on the whole.

The only problem with that of course is that as soon as the plane flies into the southern hemisphere today, the usual Welsh 'choke-athon' begins! :)