• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Australian strongest XV?

rugbywriter

Academy Player
There's been a lot of discussions about what the SA and Kiwi starting XVs should be for the tri-nations. Where do guys stand on Australia? Below is what I'd probably do, I realise I could be wrong in some cases as I am not an Aussie myself. Just keen to check what different people rate. I am also assuming that there are no injuries come tri-nations.

1. Ben Robinson
2. Tatafu Polota-Nau
3. Ben Alexander
4. James Horwill
5. Nathan Sharpe
6. Rocky Elsom
7. Phil Waugh
8. David Pockock
9. Will Genia
10. Quade Cooper
11. Drew Mitchell
12. Matt Giteau
13. Digby Ioane
14. Peter Hynes
15. Adam Ashley-Cooper
16. Stephen Moore
17. Al Baxter (normally I don't dig fossils, but I still think this guy has game)
18. Dean Mumm
19. Matt Hodgson (I rate this guy stukkend)
20. Luke Burgess
21. Ryan Cross
22. James O'Connor

Probably will be quite a couple of disagreements. Must say there is a lot of talent coming through for the Aussies. Australia are going to be serious contenders in2015.

1. Ben Robinson
2. Tatafu Polota-Nau
3. Ben Alexander
4. James Horwill
5. Nathan Sharpe
6. Rocky Elsom
7. David Pocock
8. Richard Brown
9. Will Genia
10. Quade Cooper
11. Drew Mitchell
12. Matt Giteau
13. Digby Ioane
14. Adam Ashley-Cooper
15. James O'Connor

16. Stephen Moore
17 James Slipper
18 Mark Chisholm
19. Phil Waugh
20. Richard Kingi
21. Berrick Barnes
22. Peter Hynes / Beale

1. Ben Robinson
2. Stephen Moore
3. Ben Alexander
4. James Horwill
5. Nathan Sharpe
6. Rocky Elsom
7. David Pocock
8. Richard Brown
9. Will Genia
10. Quade Cooper
11. Drew Mitchell
12. Berrick Barnes
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper
14. Digby Ioane
15. Peter Hynes

16. Tatafu Polota-Nau
17. Sekope Kepu
18. Mark Chisholm
19. Higginbotham
20. Burgess
21. Giteau
22. O'Connor

There's been a lot of discussions about what the SA and Kiwi starting XVs should be for the tri-nations. Where do guys stand on Australia? Below is what I'd probably do, I realise I could be wrong in some cases as I am not an Aussie myself. Just keen to check what different people rate. I am also assuming that there are no injuries come tri-nations.

1. Ben Robinson
2. Tatafu Polota-Nau
3. Ben Alexander
4. James Horwill
5. Nathan Sharpe
6. Rocky Elsom
7. David Pocock
8. Wycliff Palu
9. Will Genia
10. Quade Cooper
11. Drew Mitchell
12. Matt Giteau
13. Digby Ioane
14. Peter Hynes
15. Adam Ashley-Cooper
16. Stephen Moore
17. Al Baxter (normally I don't dig fossils, but I still think this guy has game)
18. Dean Mumm
19. Matt Hodgson (I rate this guy stukkend)
20. Luke Burgess
21. Anthony Faingaa
22. James O'Connor

Probably will be quite a couple of disagreements. Must say there is a lot of talent coming through for the Aussies. Australia are going to be serious contenders in2015.
Even though I hate James O'Connor, I think he'll be included anyway even if he is overrated fluff...

Even though I hate James O'Connor, I think he'll be included anyway even if he is overrated fluff...
Strange comment. Almost defiantly a result of tall poppy syndrome after watching him play at schoolboy level. If I remember correctly you are an Ipswich fanboy, which means Rabbit probably broke your heart when he turned your school inside out and won the game in the last minute with a sideline penalty goal.

1 Ben Robinson
2 Steven Moore
3 Ben Alexander
4 James Horwill
5 Nathan Sharpe (c)
6 Rocky Elsom / Scott Higginbotham
7 David Pocock
8 Wycliff Palu
9 Will Genia
10 Quade Cooper
11 Drew Mitchell
12 Matt Giteau
13 Rob Horne
14 Digby Ionie
15 Adam Ashley Cooper

16 Tatafu Polota Nau
17 Sekope Kepu
18 Scott Higginbotham/ Rocky Elsom/ Matt Hodgson
19 Dean Mumm/ Mark Chisholm/ Hugh McMeniman (would be great if we got him back).
20 Luke Burgess (played fantastic on the weekend)
21 James O'Connor
22 Kurtley Beale

I don't think Rocky has played that well lately and if higginbotham was fit he'd be either 6 or 8 now. we need a bit of bulk in our pack and he brings speed as well. if not starting then on the bench.
with the backs they are starting to jell well, if Horne gets injured or starts to play poorly id move Ionie to outside and bring Hynes onto the wing.
the notable exclusion is Berrick Barnes. I think both O'Connor and Beale bring a lot more to the team, particularly as bench players. Barnes makes a lot of bad decisions and O'Connor and Beale have more spark.
I also chose Sharpie as captain because he is a great leader and leads by example on the field, also Rockys position in my mind isn't set in concrete the way he's been playing.

Strange comment. Almost defiantly a result of tall poppy syndrome after watching him play at schoolboy level. If I remember correctly you are an Ipswich fanboy, which means Rabbit probably broke your heart when he turned your school inside out and won the game in the last minute with a sideline penalty goal.

Actually it's because he called me a c*nt when I went to shake his hand after the game....

1. Benn Robinson
2. Tatafu Polota- Nau
3. Ben Alexander
4. James Horwill
5. Nathan Sharpe
6. Rocky Elsom
7. David Pocock
8. Richard Brown
9. Will Genia
10. Quade Cooper
11. Drew Mitchell
12. Matt Giteau
13. Adam Ashley Cooper
14. Digby Ioane
15. James O'Connor
16. Stephen Moore
17. Ben Daley
18. Dean Mumm
19. Scott Higginbotham
20. Luke Burgess
21. Berrick Barnes
22. Peter Hynes

Ashley Cooper at Outside over Ioane just because his hands are so much better than digbys

1. Benn Robinson
2. Tatafu Polota- Nau
3. Ben Alexander
4. James Horwill
5. Nathan Sharpe
6. Rocky Elsom
7. David Pocock
8. Richard Brown
9. Will Genia
10. Quade Cooper
11. Drew Mitchell
12. Matt Giteau
13. Adam Ashley Cooper
14. Digby Ioane
15. James O'Connor
16. Stephen Moore
17. Ben Daley
18. Dean Mumm
19. Scott Higginbotham
20. Luke Burgess
21. Berrick Barnes
22. Peter Hynes

Ashley Cooper at Outside over Ioane just because his hands are so much better than digbys

But AA-C is one of the best fullbacks in the world. WHy would you want him at centre?

Was thinking that as well,
JOC had a good game against the mid-week England team, and did well against England, but AAC is a lot better imo
Are Australia that short on wings that they've got to play AAC out of position?

On a side note, i'm very impressed with Drew Mitchell atm, he's got bags of pace, and hits some cracking lines

Was thinking that as well,
JOC had a good game against the mid-week England team, and did well against England, but AAC is a lot better imo
Are Australia that short on wings that they've got to play AAC out of position?
On a side note, i'm very impressed with Drew Mitchell atm, he's got bags of pace, and hits some cracking lines

I wouldn't say that. I think they've got tons of talent on the wings. I think Robbie Deans just isn't utilizing it properly

hes played at outside a few times for the wallabies and plays there a lot for the brumbies. i just like the look of him there and with oconnor at full back but you could also have horne or ioane at outside and AAC at fullback with oconnor on the bench

Does anyone know when the Australian Tri-Nations squad will be announced?Or has it been announced already and I just missed it somehow?

I can agree with most of the line ups suggested here, but I would also include Stirling, as most of the S14 games I saw he played some good rugby

I thought Stirling got injured half-way through the S14, and was set to miss the Tri-Nations?

Well to be honest, I only followed the S14 until March, due to work.
But whenever there is a possibility he could play, the coach should hive him a chance.

hes played at outside a few times for the wallabies and plays there a lot for the brumbies. i just like the look of him there and with oconnor at full back but you could also have horne or ioane at outside and AAC at fullback with oconnor on the bench

O'Connor is a good runner of the ball in open space, but he's still far too inconsistent with high balls to be at fullback in a tournament as tough as the Tri Nations. Maybe after he gets a little older, bigger and less rattly, but now he should really just be a reserve to run the forwards ragged in the last 20 IMO.

As for our strongest XV:

1. Ben Robinson
2. Tatafu Polota-Nau
3. Ben Alexander
4. James Horwill
5. Nathan Sharpe
6. Rocky Elsom
7. David Pockock
8. Wycliff Palu
9. Will Genia
10. Quade Cooper
11. Peter Hynes
12. Berrick Barnes (better kicking game/defence than Giteau - who IMO is way out of form)
13. Rob Horne
14. Digby Ioane
15. Adam Ashley-Cooper

Reserves:
16. Stephan More
17. Sekope Kepu
18. Phil Waugh
19. Matt Giteau
20. James O'Connor
21. Lachlan Turner
22. Luke Burgess

Last edited: