• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Anyone know the Super 14 Squads Yet?

C

ChiefsFan

I was just curious as to whether anyone already knew the Super 14 squads like how last year Harry Peters released them a day early.

they have been announced for nz anyway

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/536641/2250208
The 2009 Super 14 squads are as follows:
* Indicates player named in Rebel Sport Super 14 squad for the first time. (D) Indicates draft player.

Blues: Tony Woodcock (North Harbour) , John Afoa (Auckland), Charlie Faumuina (Auckland)*, Tevita Mailau (Auckland)* , Keven Mealamu (Auckland), Tom McCartney (Auckland), Ali Williams (Auckland), Anthony Boric (North Harbour), Jay Williams (Auckland)*, Kurtis Haiu (Auckland), Justin Collins (Northland) , Josh Blackie (Auckland), Onosai Auva'a (Auckland), Jerome Kaino (Auckland), Chris Lowery (Auckland)*, Taniela Moa (Auckland), Chris Smylie (North Harbour), Tasesa Lavea (Auckland), Jimmy Gopperth (North Harbour), Michael Hobbs (Wellington) (D)*, Benson Stanley (Auckland), Jamie Helleur (Auckland), Anthony Tuitavake (North Harbour), Joe Rokocoko (Auckland), Rudi Wulf (North Harbour), Rene Ranger (Northland)*, Paul Williams (Auckland), Isaia Toeava (Auckland).

Chiefs: Arizona Taumalolo (Waikato)*, Ben May (Waikato), James McGougan (Bay of Plenty)*, Joe Savage (Bay of Plenty)*,Hika Elliot (Hawke's Bay) (D), Aled de Malmanche (Waikato), Kevin O'Neill (Waikato),Toby Lynn (Waikato), Craig Clarke (Taranaki) (D), Mark Burman (Waikato)*, Liam Messam (Waikato), Tanerau Latimer (Bay of Plenty), Serge Lilo (Wellington) (D)*, Sione Lauaki (Waikato), Colin Bourke (Bay of Plenty), Brendon Leonard (Waikato), Toby Morland (D) (Otago), Stephen Donald (Waikato), Michael Delany (Bay of Plenty), Callum Bruce (Waikato), Jackson Willison (Waikato)*, Richard Kahui (Waikato), Sitiveni Sivivatu (Waikato), Lelia Masaga (Counties Manukau), Sosene Anesi (Waikato), James Wilson (Southland) (D), Malili Muliaina (Waikato), Dwayne Sweeney (Waikato).

Hurricanes: John Schwalger (Wellington), Neemia Tialata (Wellington), Jacob Ellison (Wellington), Tim Fairbrother (Wellington), Andrew Hore (Taranaki) , Dane Coles (Wellington)*, Jason Eaton (Taranaki), Jeremy Thrush (Wellington), Bryn Evans (Hawke's Bay), Api Naikatini (Wellington)*, Faifili Levave (Wellington), Scott Waldrom (Taranaki), Karl Lowe (Hawke's Bay)*, Victor Vito (Wellington)*, Rodney So'oialo (Wellington), Josh Bradnock (Manawatu)*, Alby Mathewson (Wellington), Piri Weepu (Wellington), Willie Ripia (Taranaki), Dan Kirkpatrick (Wellington)*, Ma'a Nonu (Wellington), Conrad Smith (Wellington), Jason Kawau (Southland) (D), Tamati Ellison (Wellington), Hosea Gear (Wellington), David Smith (Wellington), Zac Guildford (Hawke's Bay), Cory Jane (Wellington).

Crusaders: Wyatt Crockett (Canterbury), Ben Franks (Tasman), Owen Franks (Canterbury)*, Bronson Murray (Canterbury), Corey Flynn (Canterbury), Jason Macdonald (Otago) (D), Brad Thorn (Tasman), Ross Filipo (Canterbury), Isaac Ross (Canterbury), Michael Paterson (Canterbury), Kieran Read (Canterbury), Richie McCaw (Canterbury), George Whitelock (Canterbury), Thomas Waldrom (Canterbury), Nasi Manu (Canterbury), Jonathan Poff (Tasman), Andy Ellis (Canterbury), Kahn Fotuali'I (Tasman), Colin Slade (Canterbury)*, Stephen Brett (Canterbury), Tim Bateman (Canterbury), Ryan Crotty (Canterbury)*, Casey Laulala (Canterbury), Adam Whitelock (Canterbury)*, Kade Poki (Tasman), Sean Maitland (Canterbury), Jared Payne (Canterbury)*, Leon Macdonald (Canterbury).

Highlanders: Jamie Mackintosh (Southland), Clint Newland (Otago), Chris King (Southland), Anthony Perenise (Wellington) (D)*, David Hall (Southland), Jason Rutledge (Southland), Hayden Triggs (Otago), Tom Donnelly (Otago), Josh Bekhuis (Southland)*, Ross Kennedy (Otago), Adam Thomson (Otago), Tim Boys (Southland), Alando Soakai (Otago), Stephen Setephano (Otago), George Naoupu (Hawke's Bay) (D)*, Jimmy Cowan (Southland), Sean Romans (Otago) *, Daniel Bowden (Otago), Matt Berquist (Hawke's Bay) (D), Jason Shoemark (Hawke's Bay) (D), Jayden Hayward (Otago)*, Johnny Leota (Otago), Kendrick Lynn (Southland)*, Brett Mather (Otago), Lucky Mulipola (Otago), Fetu'u Vainikolo (Otago), Ben Smith (Otago)*, Israel Dagg (Hawke's Bay) (D)*.

The number of players from each province is as follows: Auckland (19), Bay of Plenty (5), Canterbury (22), Counties Manukau (1), Hawke's Bay (8), Manawatu (1), North Harbour (6), Northland (2), Otago (17), Southland (10), Taranaki (5), Tasman (5), Waikato (17) and Wellington (22).

Haha, I just created a new topic for this at the same time you posted, what a coincidence...

Tasesa Lavea (Auckland), Jimmy Gopperth (North Harbour) for the Blues...
oh

good

god

NO!!!

To be honest I think you guys are lucky getting Lavea. I would have been umuch happier if we had retained him, as soon as he left Auckland he started playing well.

bit more info on some of the moves and draft picks.

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/536641/2250409
Unlucky Munro misses selection
The Blues have drafted young Lion Michael Hobb's to try and full the troublesome first five-eight position while Lachie Munro is a shock admission.

Munro can consider himself perhaps the most unlucky player in the country after missing selection in all five franchises.

It wasn't so long ago that the 22-year old was touted as a future All Black but after dislocating his shoulder against Bay of Plenty in Round seven of the Air New Zealand Cup he is now not among the top ten first-five eighths in the country.

As was predicted by many Tasesa Lavea and Jimmy Gopperth join Hobbs as the Blues options in the number ten jersey.

Auckland captain Ben Atiga is also a notable absentee and is reportedly taking time out from rugby for an undisclosed period.

Meanwhile in other key moves, prospective All Black hooker Hika Elliot has moved to the Chiefs along with Wellington flanker Serge Lilo while veteran Jason MacDonald goes to the Crusaders.

The Hawke's Bay quartet of Matt Berquist, Jason Shoemark, Israel Dagg and George Naoupu have all gone to the Highlanders.

10 Magpies players have been picked in total to five different franchises.

There will be 31 players making their debuts in the competition - five go to the Crusaders, six each to the Hurricanes, Chiefs and Blues and eight to the Highlanders.

The Chiefs have dipped into the draft five times, the Highlanders four and the Blues, Hurricanes and Crusaders once.

Dane Coles, Daniel Kirkpatrick, Api Naikatini and Victor Vito have been rewarded for breakthrough Air New Zealand Cup seasons for Wellington and are all picked in a strong-looking Hurricanes squad. Impressive Southland centre Jason Kawau is the only draft player in the squad.

Bay of Plenty had hoped to have up to 11 of their players involved but only five were selected.

Southland's strong season translated to eight players earning selection in the Highlanders but Otago still had seven more players to keep the big brother tag despite missing the Air New Zealand Cup playoffs.

New Zealand Rugby Union general manager professional rugby Neil Sorensen said he was delighted with the co-operation shown by all the franchises.

"It's a tough process but also one of the most exciting days of the rugby year. This year there was a real freshness to it all thanks to the new guys on some of the coaching staffs.

"I'm very confident the best 140 players have been chosen. The Air NZ Cup has discovered a whole bunch of new talent who now have a chance to prove themselves in one of the toughest rugby competitions in the world."

South African squads:

Bulls: Heini Adams, Bakkies Botha, Jacques Burger, Marius Delport, Fourie du Preez, Jaco Engels, Burton Francis, Rayno Gerber, Bryan Habana, Francois Hougaard, Wayne Julies, Zane Kirchner, Werner Kruger, Derick Kuün, Bandise Maku, Tiger Mangweni, Victor Matfield, Akona Ndungane, JP Nel, Wynand Olivier, Dewald Potgieter, Jaco Pretorius, Chiliboy Ralepelle, Danie Rossouw, Pierre Spies, Gürthro Steenkamp, Wilhelm Steenkamp, Deon Stegmann, Morné Steyn, Pedrie Wannenburg.

Lions: Cobus Grobbelaar, Doppies la Grange, Jano Vermaak, Louis Ludik, Heinke van der Merwe, Jaque Fourie, Franco van der Merwe, Earl Rose, Anton van Zyl, Willie Wepener, Jannie Boshoff, Willem Alberts, JC Janse van Rensburg, Gert Muller, Henno Mentz, Ashwin Willemse, Michael Killian, Jannes Labuschagne, Chris Jonck, Hans van Dyk, Shandre Frolick, Todd Clever, Siegelaar Allister, Lawrence Sephaka, Dusty Noble, Thiliphaut Marole, Ligtoring Landman, Okkie Kruger, Divan Kotze, Barry Goodes.

Cheetahs: Hennie Daniller, Danwel Demas, Corné Uys, Jacques-Louis Potgieter, Fabian Juries, Meyer Bosman, Tewis de Bruyn, Frans Viljoen, Juan Smith, Heinrich Brüssow, David de Villiers, Nico Breedt, Kobus Calldo, Adriaan Strauss, Wian du Preez, Richardt Strauss, Wayne van Heerden, Hendro Scholtz, Sarel Pretorius, Bjorn Basson, Kabamba Floors, Trompie Nontshinga, Piet van Zyl, Riaan Viljoen, Jean Botha, Flip van Der Merwe, Bees Roux, Jonge Nokwe, Bevin Fortuin, Hanno Coetzee.

Sharks: Skipper Badenhorst, Nikolai Blignaut, Jacques Botes, Deon Carstens, Keegan Daniel, Jean Deysel, Bismarck du Plessis, Jannie du Plessis, Alistair Hargreaves, Ryan Kankowski, Tendai Mtawarira, Johann Muller, Skholiwe Ndlovu, John Smit, Steven Sykes, Albert van den Berg, Monty Dumond, Adrian Jacobs, Chris Jordaan, Rory Kockott, Waylon Murray, Odwa Ndungane, Ruan Pienaar, JP Pietersen, Francois Steyn, Riaan Swanepoel, Stefan Terblanche, Ross Cronje, Justin Downey, Luzuko Vulindlu.

Stormers:Andries Bekker, Wikus Blaauw, Gcobani Bobo, Schalk Brits, Schalk Burger, Tonderai Chavhanga, Bolla Conradie, Jean de Villiers, Dylan des Fountain, Dewaldt Duvenhage, Schalk Ferreira, Adriaan Fondse, Deon Fourie, Peter Grant, Conrad Jantjes, Ricky Januarie, Francois Louw, JD Moller, Brian Mujati, Pieter Myburgh, Sireli Naqelevuki, Morgan Newman, Luke Watson, Percy Montgomery, Kick Koster, JC Kritzinger, Hilton Lobberts, Joe Pietersen, AJ Venter, Duanne Vermeulen.

Why is Andre Pretorious and Todd Clever missing from the Lions squad? im sure both are fit.

I'm actually interesting in seeing Todd Clever play, want to see how he does at Super 14 level.

Why have people only just recently started adding the squads and posting in here? :huh:

This was just supposed to be a quick thread to see if anyone knew the squds early :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChiefsFan @ Feb 8 2009, 11:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Why have people only just recently started adding the squads and posting in here? :huh:

This was just supposed to be a quick thread to see if anyone knew the squds early :D[/b]

I'm pretty sure the South African ones have only just been released on the Friday

Ayeee! Bobily!

What's up with the huge delay..? Why do they take so long to anounce the teams, it must be extremely frustrating over there.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChiefsFan @ Feb 8 2009, 03:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ayeee! Bobily!

What's up with the huge delay..? Why do they take so long to anounce the teams, it must be extremely frustrating over there.[/b]

Ripper! (a.k.a. ChiefsFan) :D

I dunno, aye. I looked around on the internet for quite some time for the squads to find out that they weren't going to be released until the SARU said they had to.

I think it has to do with contracts, the players have only now signed contracts to their respective unions/franchises.

Don't our squads always get announced this late ?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Boggle @ Feb 8 2009, 07:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think it has to do with contracts, the players have only now signed contracts to their respective unions/franchises.

Don't our squads always get announced this late ?[/b]

I checked and I'm pretty sure in 2006 it was early-mid January. I could be wrong though.

@MLegg: Yea, I saw that. It looked flippin' painful! But he made the wider training group so it can't have been bad enough to keep him out the Super 14, could it?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (allyoop @ Feb 8 2009, 09:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Boggle @ Feb 8 2009, 07:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't our squads always get announced this late ?[/b]

I checked and I'm pretty sure in 2006 it was early-mid January. I could be wrong though.

@MLegg: Yea, I saw that. It looked flippin' painful! But he made the wider training group so it can't have been bad enough to keep him out the Super 14, could it?

EDIT: Just checked and he isn't in the WTG. I was sure he was! any idea how long he's out for if he still is?
[/b][/quote]

Latest posts