• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

And the new Japanese Rugby Team will be called....

9444405289854ff4b24f93186a04e28a.gif

Awsomeuru

That's bloody scary-looking for an abstracted image.

Awesome name! I was hoping for a 'two-pronged' name in the spirit of those awesome Japansese rugby team names in the Top League (Sun Goliath, Wild Knight, Brave Lupus etc)

Any news on player and coaching staff? Surely Shota Horie, Michael Leitch, Tanaka etc who have SR experience will be vital? Goromaru is also a key player for the national side and one would expect he'll be needed for the Sun Wolves to really compete.

I think despite the ridiculous setup Super Rugby might actually turn out fine once fans get used to all the changes and I don't think the SA conferences will be too poor as the Lions have really been stepping up and its only the Cheetahs and Kings that I can see as being poor. While the Japanese and particularly the Argentine side will probably be hugely competitive seeing as they are (assuming it'll be the same with the Japanese side) essentially those nations' national sides. So only 3 of 6 good teams will go through to the knock outs while both 'SA' conferences will have 3 competitive teams and 1 whippig boy (Stormers/Bulls/Sun Wolves/Meh vs Lions/Sharks/Argentina/Meh)

Its a long way off but I expect the SA conferences to put forward the Stormers, Bulls and then Lions/Argentina as finals qualifiers. Aus top 2 and NZ top 3 would be my picks (Brumbies, Waratahs, Highlanders, Hurricanes and Chiefs IMO as an early prediction).

Last edited:
Wonder if this is speeding along to try and get Eddie to stay?

But that is really cool name and logo.

Hopefully kit to match and I might finally have a super rugby team to properly follow.

Will the super rugby team take some of the other Top league players?

Some handy experience there
Bekker
Fouire
Barnes
Etc

Wonder if this is speeding along to try and get Eddie to stay?

But that is really cool name and logo.

Hopefully kit to match and I might finally have a super rugby team to properly follow.

As a Stormers supporter I'd be massively ****** off as we are still in a state of elation over here since Jones has been named Stormers coach- we've been short a good coach for a while now.

Will the super rugby team take some of the other Top league players?

Some handy experience there
Bekker
Fouire
Barnes
Etc

That'd actually be great for SA rugby since we could then be in a position to select those players (Bekker, Jaque Fourie, Fourie du Preez etc) without the headaches currently involved in selecting players based in NH club sides.

That said, the more of our top players we can keep in local sides the better of course.

Well Eddie has said he might listen to a offer from England so he is still not set in stone off to Stormers (despite contract).

Feel for Stormers if happened as he would be perfect.

But would be better for rugby if he stays in Japan IMO.

I wish this team all the best... I hope this doesn't turn into a situation like their national team and really don't beat many teams.

I hope they'll be beating up the South African teams, just like internationals :').

I love the name! I want to see what their kit is going to look like, and I hope it's as badass as the name.

Most South Africans that play in Japan, plays for their SA teams in the Super Rugby, but there are a bunch of guys that doesn't have that clause in their contract. So I hope some of them who were Springbok contenders can join this team, as It would be great to see them play and even be more likely to get picked for the Bokke in the RC.

The players names have been submitted to SANZAR but have been kept under wrapts supposedly.
Very interested in the colours and kit. The latest clubs have been pretty bad so hopefully the Jags and Sunwolves (whats the shorthand there? Suns or Wolves?) Have upted the quality.

That's bloody scary-looking for an abstracted image.

Awesome name! I was hoping for a 'two-pronged' name in the spirit of those awesome Japansese rugby team names in the Top League (Sun Goliath, Wild Knight, Brave Lupus etc)

Any news on player and coaching staff? Surely Shota Horie, Michael Leitch, Tanaka etc who have SR experience will be vital? Goromaru is also a key player for the national side and one would expect he'll be needed for the Sun Wolves to really compete.

I think despite the ridiculous setup Super Rugby might actually turn out fine once fans get used to all the changes and I don't think the SA conferences will be too poor as the Lions have really been stepping up and its only the Cheetahs and Kings that I can see as being poor. While the Japanese and particularly the Argentine side will probably be hugely competitive seeing as they are (assuming it'll be the same with the Japanese side) essentially those nations' national sides. So only 3 of 6 good teams will go through to the knock outs while both 'SA' conferences will have 3 competitive teams and 1 whippig boy (Stormers/Bulls/Sun Wolves/Meh vs Lions/Sharks/Argentina/Meh)

Its a long way off but I expect the SA conferences to put forward the Stormers, Bulls and then Lions/Argentina as finals qualifiers. Aus top 2 and NZ top 3 would be my picks (Brumbies, Waratahs, Highlanders, Hurricanes and Chiefs IMO as an early prediction).

Tanaka's as otago as Speights and steak and cheese pies!....i hope

The players names have been submitted to SANZAR but have been kept under wrapts supposedly.
Very interested in the colours and kit. The latest clubs have been pretty bad so hopefully the Jags and Sunwolves (whats the shorthand there? Suns or Wolves?) Have upted the quality.

Think it's safe to say that Wolves is the best shorthand name...

I imagine they'll be getting Canterbury to make the kit.

Seems like Panasonic is going to be their main sponsor - which is awesome, purely from a sponsorship angle, but also because it suggests they might be willing to cooperate with the rugby side too via the Wild Knights.

John McKee supposedly likely to be head coach, possibly with Ludeke.

CQixAvmUYAAgO-j.png:large

Last edited:
McKee would be a fine choice he has transform Fiji from a team with only flair to a team that has an excellent set price as well.

It's a shame that there is this change as both Jones and McKee have transformed there countries rugby style.

If the Japan super rugby team can get most of national team McKee should have an brilliant setup to take over.

Shame it took the RWC showing to it speed up, would have still had jones if done earlier.