• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Achilles tendonitis

Anyone got any experience trying to play with achilles tendonitis flare up?
ice ice ice and tape.

depending on how bad it is you might need to take some time off before going the ice and tape route.

I missed six weeks last fall and I still have some soreness but it is manageable

It flared up last game of last season, I was rehabing straight away, finally went away about 6 weeks ago, and I could sprint full pace no restrictions, the last Tuesday, randomly came back, although not as bad,
I'm trying to get the swelling down to hopefully play Saturday, I don't mind playing through a bit of pain I just rather not start the game in pain ffs

Thanks for the reply

POLICE
Protect (stop aggravating it, wear a splint if necessary - for this, it means rest from sprinting, jumping etc)
Optimal Loading (still use it, just nothing challenging - includes things like specific exercises from the club physio)
Ice (no less than 5 minutes, no more than 10 minutes, repeat no more frequently than 90 minutes between applications - this is controversial, largely based around patients being idiots and not following the advice, and some theoretically less-than-ideal outcomes that haven't been actually proven... yet)
Compression (tubigrip, tape etc)
Elevation (having the ankle higher than the heart - to improve drainage of excess fluids from the area)

Beyond that there are various different options for taping, kinesio, plyo, Zinc Oxide... - see a pro to help with that.
Also things like acupuncture/dry needling, shockwave, maybe orthotics have their place, some people even still use ultrasound (again controversial, mostly due to bad research).
Massage of the calf muscle, including self-massage and ice-massage of the tendon itself, and cross-friction massage of the tendon once it's ready for it.

POLICE
Protect (stop aggravating it, wear a splint if necessary - for this, it means rest from sprinting, jumping etc)
Optimal Loading (still use it, just nothing challenging - includes things like specific exercises from the club physio)
Ice (no less than 5 minutes, no more than 10 minutes, repeat no more frequently than 90 minutes between applications - this is controversial, largely based around patients being idiots and not following the advice, and some theoretically less-than-ideal outcomes that haven't been actually proven... yet)
Compression (tubigrip, tape etc)
Elevation (having the ankle higher than the heart - to improve drainage of excess fluids from the area)

Beyond that there are various different options for taping, kinesio, plyo, Zinc Oxide... - see a pro to help with that.
Also things like acupuncture/dry needling, shockwave, maybe orthotics have their place, some people even still use ultrasound (again controversial, mostly due to bad research).
Massage of the calf muscle, including self-massage and ice-massage of the tendon itself, and cross-friction massage of the tendon once it's ready for it.
Thank you đź‘Ť
I'll take on board

Used to get it a lot in my army days. Anti inflammatories and pain killers work but do try and rest it and don't be tempted to over stretch it.

Not quite the same thing but I twisted my ankle last year March and despite following the whole treatment process - still not 100% like it was before.

Read up down there and how many tendons and joints. It's a bloody complex area including the AT.

Not quite the same thing but I twisted my ankle last year March and despite following the whole treatment process - still not 100% like it was before.

Read up down there and how many tendons and joints. It's a bloody complex area including the AT.
Ligament strains essentially never return to 100% - though with good rehab protocols etc they can get bloody close. The trouble is that that's your new baseline for subsequent recovery.
For an ankle, the most important long-term exercise is going to be balance based training which helps realign scar tissue AND regrow decent nerve supply back into the area.

Ligament strains essentially never return to 100% - though with good rehab protocols etc they can get bloody close. The trouble is that that's your new baseline for subsequent recovery.
For an ankle, the most important long-term exercise is going to be balance based training which helps realign scar tissue AND regrow decent nerve supply back into the area.
Cheers. It just feels tighter around the round bone that sticks out on the left side. Pretty much accepted it now.

Cheers. It just feels tighter around the round bone that sticks out on the left side. Pretty much accepted it now.
Stretch it out,
Apply ice massage and cross friction massage (across the line of the ligament fibres)
Stand on one leg untjl you can do that for 60 seconds, then do the same with eyes closed (if you need them, there are gradations*), until finally you can stand on one leg with your eyes closed on a wobble board.
Single leg squats, single leg deadlifts.
Passing and catching a rugby ball whilst stood on one leg
Depending on how far you want to push it, I've had rugby guys on one leg, on a wobble/bosu board, passing medicine balls.

If you need to, also add a rocker board to challenge and strengthen in more specific planes of movement.

* essentially, ways of stabilising yourself or providing additional neurological feedback, whilst still fully challenging the ankle ligaments and their neurological supply - such as actively holding onto something supportive (eg chair) => flat hand on wall => opposite toe touching the ground => moving that toe closer to you => opposite finger touching a wall.

Last edited:
Stretch it out,
Apply ice massage and cross friction massage (across the line of the ligament fibres)
Stand on one leg untjl you can do that for 60 seconds, then do the same with eyes closed (if you need them, there are gradations*), until finally you can stand on one leg with your eyes closed on a wobble board.
Single leg squats, single leg deadlifts.
Passing and catching a rugby ball whilst stood on one leg
Depending on how far you want to push it, I've had rugby guys on one leg, on a wobble/bosu board, passing medicine balls.

If you need to, also add a rocker board to challenge and strengthen in more specific planes of movement.

* essentially, ways of stabilising yourself or providing additional neurological feedback, whilst still fully challenging the ankle ligaments and their neurological supply - such as actively holding onto something supportive (eg chair) => flat hand on wall => opposite toe touching the ground => moving that toe closer to you => opposite finger touching a wall.

That silly woman missed out on such great advice all over a parking space.

Latest posts