• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

ABs No.6 Steve Luatua - For the future?

Luatua has played a good couple games and is most defo the future no. 6 but I'm still not sure if I'd pick him against the Boks. Messam just offers that bit more physicality at the minute. I'd probably pick him against Argentina though

I really don't think Messam offer physicality, Messam is better in the wider exchanges Luatua is a more traditional 6 in my eyes.

another great luatua performance, getting better and better. i am in awe of his athleticism, he was everywhere tonight! i think this thread ***le should be changed to steven luatua- the incumbent?

Luatua played it a bit wide for my liking. He's certainly extremely athletic and doesn't make many mistakes, I just wish last test he did a bit more grunt work as he can certainly be physical enough. That said it was still a very good performance, hope he has become the incumbent.

Yeah this most recent match was actually his least impressive - he spent more time on the wing than in the rucks. I'd be interested to see the official stats for breakdowns hit...

Luatua played it a bit wide for my liking. He's certainly extremely athletic and doesn't make many mistakes, I just wish last test he did a bit more grunt work as he can certainly be physical enough. That said it was still a very good performance, hope he has become the incumbent.
Fair enough you might think that, but that is clearly on coaches direction though. I thought he was tremendous yet again in tough conditions!

Adding to Luatua's case is the rather poor form of Shields at ITM cup level so far this season. Larksea, have you been watching Shields? Do you still think he would have gone as well as Luatua at international level had he got the chance? Pretty bloody hard to make that argument now isnt it?

Unfortunately for Messam, three games in a row starting for the ABs and playing so well, I believe now that Luatua is not only "the future" but has now actually locked himself in as the ABs #1 Blindside. Thoughts?

Adding to Luatua's case is the rather poor form of Shields at ITM cup level so far this season. Larksea, have you been watching Shields? Do you still think he would have gone as well as Luatua at international level had he got the chance? Pretty bloody hard to make that argument now isnt it?

I've seen Shields play a really strong game before his injury, and he had me convinced he was of test level. He was just as good as Luatua is now at the moment, I even think Shields seemed a bit stronger. At one stage I do think Shields could have gone as well as Luatua has but injuries has been the setback for Shields. I havent heard of Shields at all lately, I dont even know what team he's playing for now.

I've seen Shields play a really strong game before his injury, and he had me convinced he was of test level. He was just as good as Luatua is now at the moment, I even think Shields seemed a bit stronger. At one stage I do think Shields could have gone as well as Luatua has but injuries has been the setback for Shields. I havent heard of Shields at all lately, I dont even know what team he's playing for now.
Huge call man. Do you really belive that? I mean Shields had a few good games for the Hurricanes and the Lions (his current ITM cup team) but I think Luatua right now is in an entirely different league than any level Shields reached. Right now Shileds ITM cup form for Wellington has been very dissapointing. You would think he should dominate at ITM cup level but he has been far from it. At this rate he may not even make the end of year tour.

Shields definitely doesn't have the physicality or all round skills of Luatua. He is talented sure but he hasn't really consistently shown that at any level above ITM Cup. I expect Shields to replace Messam by 2015 but I don't think he is there yet.

Unfortunately for Messam, three games in a row starting for the ABs and playing so well, I believe now that Luatua is not only "the future" but has now actually locked himself in as the ABs #1 Blindside. Thoughts?

Luatua is the present.

It might come down to how Hansen wants to manage the bench, whether he start Luatua and if game against the Boks gets more physical and tight, they would sub him for Messam.

I always write what I think and I think at one stage Shields looked as good as he was hyped up from the commentators. Don't get me wrong Im wrapt to see an Aucklander doing great for himself. I hope Luatua keeps his jersey for a long time because theres nothing like an Auckland flanker :)

I always write what I think and I think at one stage Shields looked as good as he was hyped up from the commentators. Don't get me wrong Im wrapt to see an Aucklander doing great for himself. I hope Luatua keeps his jersey for a long time because theres nothing like an Auckland flanker :)
Haha, good on ya bro. Yeah and I hope Shields gets back to form because there is no doubting his physical ball running abilities and that would be very valuable off the bench for the ABs. Looks to me though that he may have been overtaken by a few guys at this stage....

With respect to Messam a quick comment should be made in regards to his performance on Saturday. He was massive IMO. He played a fantastic game before being forced from the field by an idiotic (and very dangerous) elbow from Bismark. The point I am making though is that Messam really impressed me, it is clear he brings more physicallity than Luatua and should clearly be preffered in games against SA.

Luatua is certianly the future, but the present, for me is now a toss up. I belive the ABs will rotate them both and tactically choose one over the other depending on the opposition.

BIG congrats to Messam for a standout comeback game against a pretty mean opposition. Such a shame it got cut short by foul play....