• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

The port call by the German warships also comes at a particularly tense moment between Berlin and Beijing. While traveling to Manila, the Baden-Württemberg and Frankfurt am Main transited the Taiwan Strait, sparking backlash from China. (from the article)

Last edited:
This Hezbollah pager story is crazy, it's like something out of a spy film

Saw speculation that they were somehow overloaded so they'd overheat and the battery would explode but now seeing other speculation that they somehow had a small amount of high explosives in - which would be crazy considering this is literally hundreds, maybe thousands, of pagers - some even in Syria

This Hezbollah pager story is crazy, it's like something out of a spy film

Saw speculation that they were somehow overloaded so they'd overheat and the battery would explode but now seeing other speculation that they somehow had a small amount of high explosives in - which would be crazy considering this is literally hundreds, maybe thousands, of pagers - some even in Syria
They were new pagers apparently. So I guess only Hezbollah had them ?

They were new pagers apparently. So I guess only Hezbollah had them ?
My understanding was that they found out the idf had got into their Comms, so banned mobiles etc and gave everyone a pager instead.

I'm assuming that the IDF/whatever secret service gave them those new pavers and just waited... Wild if true, especially if it was all planned from the start

I think its a slippery slope to start making fun of assassination attempts. People can not want trump as president and condemn the idea of killing someone at the same time

there is a whole thread on here about gin incidents and largely condemning them, i dont think we want to make light of the idea just because we dont like the person they were after
1726609698110.png
i thought the first laughing reaction might have been a mistake @Al Bangor but have now had 3 of them im thinking you believe this is funny?

View attachment 21349
i thought the first laughing reaction might have been a mistake @Al Bangor but have now had 3 of them im thinking you believe this is funny?
Relax, don't take it personal. I laughed because you had a typo and wrote gin incidents. I changed my mind, but the humor won out. That typo is funny. :D TC

Classic Film Drink GIF by Warner Archive

Last edited:
No one cares about Sudan, Yemen, China or anywhere else. For some reason the Isreal Palestine conflict gets a lot more traction. I couldn't possibly think why.

No one cares about Sudan, Yemen, China or anywhere else. For some reason the Isreal Palestine conflict gets a lot more traction. I couldn't possibly think why.
In large part it's because Africa is written off as a backwards, corrupt, war torn, violent and poverty stricken area. It has had this perception for centuries. A news story confirming this isn't "news" to most people, it's a "Pope is Catholic" type of news.

What's happening around Israel is deemed unusual, it's a "developed" nation fighting against an "undeveloped" one, this is newsworthy. There are distinct, contrasting sides for people to take. What side does someone take in the Sudan conflict?

This isn't saying this attitude is right, but it's a reality if human interaction.

No me either but it does grate when there are far worse and far more relevant conflicts going on that get next to no air or print time.

In large part it's because Africa is written off as a backwards, corrupt, war torn, violent and poverty stricken area. It has had this perception for centuries. A news story confirming this isn't "news" to most people, it's a "Pope is Catholic" type of news.

What's happening around Israel is deemed unusual, it's a "developed" nation fighting against an "undeveloped" one, this is newsworthy. There are distinct, contrasting sides for people to take. What side does someone take in the Sudan conflict?

This isn't saying this attitude is right, but it's a reality if human interaction.
And the other genocides going across the world in countries like Burma and the Muslims being killed in China and being put into camps? But yet people focus on a genocide in Gaza that isn't actually a genocide, it's another war.

I'm still undecided where I sit on this. I think the idea of UBI is useful but it shouldn't be so high that it pays better than entry level work. £1600 pm is more than I earned in my first grad engineering role after 4 years of uni. I still would have done it as I would progress onto something better but with more mundane jobs that don't really have any progression prospects? I can see it causing problems. The salaries for those would need to rise above UBI by enough to make it worthwhile, which would then mean all other job roles would also need to then pay more as you wouldn't want to go to Uni, get a professional job only to be paid less than someone on the tills at McDonalds. This could lead to inflation that then wipes out what is gained through UBI.

Personally, I think UBI should be much lower and should be more akin to job seekers allowance, it should keep you going through rough patches and give you more peace of mind to do what you need to to find work again but I don't think it should even come close to competing with the earnings from actual work.

And the other genocides going across the world in countries like Burma and the Muslims being killed in China and being put into camps? But yet people focus on a genocide in Gaza that isn't actually a genocide, it's another war.
China are in reservation to the ICJ. Burma and Israel both have ongoing genocide cases. Western media has no influence over China or Burma.

It's not that deep.

Let's not also forget instability in North Africa is one of the biggest causes of illegal migration onto the European mainland. This has caused instability and the rise of the far right. Interestingly most of the nations that have the migrants come through are controlled by Wagner backed junta's. To be it's a deliberate act of hybrid warfare but everyone just seems focused on a region that has always been at war with itself.

Latest posts