• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

If Reform's national vote was truly reflected they would get over 90 seats of the 650. Lib Dems just under 80. The only good thing about FPTP.

If Reform's national vote was truly reflected they would get over 90 seats of the 650. Lib Dems just under 80. The only good thing about FPTP.
Yeah but the Greens would have way more so not the end of the world.

Seriously under PR Lab/LD/Green would have 55% of seats enough to govern but have to work together.

Seriously under PR Lab/LD/Green would have 55% of seats enough to govern but have to work together.

Maybe not a bad thing. So many people refuse to compromise these days and if political leaders act like grown ups and show it can be done for the greater good then maybe that will filter down into society.

Yeah but the Greens would have way more so not the end of the world.
They'd have mid 40s in terms of seats. So yes, not reflected in their share of the vote. But the point is the disparity between national vote and seats reflected. It's not even close and is completely skewed by FPTP. The only good thing with FPTP is to keep down the fringe parties like Reform and keep politics in the centre for Conservatives and Labour.

BTW I am not advocating for FPTP to stay. It is totally unfair.

Maybe not a bad thing. So many people refuse to compromise these days and if political leaders act like grown ups and show it can be done for the greater good then maybe that will filter down into society.
The flaw in that plan is the 'greater good' bit. Rather than Conservative and Labour MP's doing what's best for them and there party.

The flaw in that plan is the 'greater good' bit. Rather than Conservative and Labour MP's doing what's best for them and there party.

Well during this campaign Starmer has repeatedly said "Country first, party second" so we'll see if he lives up to that.

Although the result flatters Labour, Starmer does deserve credit for turning the party around and uniting it. Gonna be a relief to have a governing party that isn't consumed with in fighting and division (for now at least).

If Braverman becomes Tory leader then it'll be the icing on the cake for Starmer and Labour.

This isn't a good thing.
I was pointing out how skewed it is. The only good thing is it keeps Reform's seats way down. But the whole FPTP system does this. No doubt Farage will ask for PR to truly reflect their national vote.

This isn't a good thing.
Of course not.
Though if we had PR, people would have voted differently, and we've no idea what it would look like.

A lot of the Reform vote was tory voters putting the boot in, who chose between Reform, Lib Dem or Don't Vote - all 3 of those options had a big boost in order to get the tories out. Obviously, all 3 have their "natural" supporters who'd have voted that way anyway.
Equally, the inevitable labour landslide will have depressed their vote, as people felt able to vote differently (usually green, independent or LibDem) without feeling that it would cost the labour victory.
If we had PR, the tories would never have lurched this far to the right in the first place, as they wouldn't have needed to fear Reform.

Personally, I support PR (IIRC I've put my head above the parapet with my preferred method a month or two ago); and as a matter of principle, I support it. Yes, it means parties like Reform get a bigger voice, but it also means that Green get a bigger voice; and that those voices are proportionate to the size of national opinion - which is a good thing, even for voices I strongly disagree with.
Further, it means more coalitions, more collaboration, less confrontational politics - which can only be a good thing.

Last edited:
I was pointing out how skewed it is. The only good thing is it keeps Reform's seats way down. But the whole FPTP system does this. No doubt Farage will ask for PR to truly reflect their national vote.
I hate Refrom obviously but I think our system is an absolute joke that they can win so many votes and their voters have so little representation. IMO is a big reason as to why so many people are disengage with politics.

Nice timing.
Keir should wait until after the changing of the guard, before seeing His Maj
ETA: of course, it will, these things take more than 5 minutes

Fair play - good leaving speech from Sunak I thought. Humble, dignified, said sorry several times and actually took personal responsibility. Didn't blame anyone and paid a nice tribute to Starmer. He may have made a few political missteps during his time as PM but IMO wasn't nearly as bad as Johnson and Truss considering the mess he inherited from them.

Latest posts