• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A new GIANT winger for Waratahs: Taqele Naiyaravaro (MASS)

I think we're basically agreeing here Conrad. The only difference is you're sick of hearing about Lomu from Rugby groupies, whilst I'm sick of hearing about Campo for the same reasons in Aus.

I think we're basically agreeing here Conrad. The only difference is you're sick of hearing about Lomu from Rugby groupies, whilst I'm sick of hearing about Campo for the same reasons in Aus.

Yeah, but in defense of Campo I must say that the marketing around him isn't as big as Lomu's marketing. Lomu is loved even by football supporters. Maybe because you live in Australia, you feel that people talking a lot about Campo. But outside the rugby world, Campo isn't as famous as Lomu, advantage for Campo.

Yeah, but in defense of Campo I must say that the marketing around him isn't as big as Lomu's marketing. Lomu is loved even by football supporters. Maybe because you live in Australia, you feel that people talking a lot about Campo. But outside the rugby world, Campo isn't as famous as Lomu, advantage for Campo.

There's definitely a bit of that I'm sure. It doesn't help that Campo is also a bit of a loud mouthed ****** that likes to make outlandish and insulting statements but then complains when people criticise him for it.

He now lives in South Africa and complains that people in Australia kept "shooting him down" over **** he said. But he made his own bed by saying incredibly dumb **** that warranted all the flak he copped.

Pure Genius

Jajajajajajajajajajajajaja that video was viewed over 5 million times, I saw it at least 10 times. I'm really amazed and disappointed at the same time, usually I'm used that the stupid football supporters talk me about Lomu, rugby supporters have many favorites rugby players then almost never talking about Lomu, is the most famous player then rugby supporters are a little tired to talking about him.

I came to this forum to talk about REALLY rugby with true rugby supporters. I can talk about Lomu with football supporters in any Football Forum, ​​ALL football supporters love him (Of course, they know nothing about rugby). I'm disappointed, I expect a Kiwi talk me about: Christian Cullen, Tana Umaga, John Kirwan, Sean Fitzpatrick or others great players. It's very boring to mention Lomu, he's the idol of the Rugby World Cup supporters, people who watch rugby every four years in each WC.

See this is why I like chatting with you Conrad, you come up with gold like this ;)

So in conclusion:

Talking about Lomu is not "REALLY" talking about rugby with "true rugby supporters".

Only "stupid football supporters" can talk about Lomu.

Because "true rugby supporters" almost never talk about Lomu.

And in particular it is disappointing that a Kiwi should ever talk about Lomu.

and of course lets not forget:

"Lomu was a good winger, I would never say otherwise but"
but
"Lomu is the most overrated player in the rugby history"
oh no wait
"Lomu was a great winger, no doubt about that."

Last edited:
Hardly unfair really. In the RWC semi vs France in 99, Umaga played like a clown that day and Lomu scored two monumental tries. And that's why Lomu is remembered so fondly, he destroyed teams on the biggest stage and biggest occasions.

Umaga is a legendary player but that was thanks to his rebirth as a centre and he will not be so well known across the world as he never did anything at a World Cup, when they both were in contention for the same wing spot Lomu was the better option.

I can't agree with the retrospective Lomu bashing. If it was all that simple then any big guy would have been devastating at the same time, but Lomu stood apart.

Plenty of big guys played against Chris Paterson in his career like Banahan or Horgan etc, I don't remember any humiliating him like Lomu did (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1tPSkdXLX8). I also remember Mike Tindall once completely marked that morbidly obese but fast French centre out of the game in 2010, Tindall was actually known for despite his limitations as a solid defender, but Lomu steamrollered him (http://youtu.be/kFctRUpALko?t=26m25s).

What I am saying is, it does Lomu a disservice to say he was just a big guy playing little guys when he could destroy equivalent opposition in a way that other big guys like you mention haven't managed to equivalent players. He also was sitting down some big forwards throughout his career as well, it wasn't just Mike Catt. He had a special talent for being able to swat and barge away tacklers. Nemani Nadolo wouldn't have achieved what Lomu did in the late 90's early 00's.

That's what I'm saying, Lomu is loved by Rugby World Cup supporters who watch rugby every 4 years because he made a lot in their WCs. But the WC is a very small portion of rugby world. They are just 7 games each 4 years if your team reaches the final stage. So it's NOT a 100% effective parameter.

Again, I say it again: Lomu was a great winger, no doubt about that. Never put in discussion, I only say it's UNFAIR that he's the most FAMOUS rugby player in history because he is NOT the best player ever. For me he isn't even the best winger in history, I repeat, I prefer players like David Campese or Christian Cullen. And about Tana Umaga, what you say it's a good thing, We all know that the centre position requires many more skills than a winger, if you have 2 players, the better player should play at centre. It's a more difficult position, with more involvement in the game. If you will have a good athlete like Adrian Peterson who never played rugby, he could never be a good centre in few time, it's a position that requires years of training and may have better results playing as wing, a less compromising position.

There's definitely a bit of that I'm sure. It doesn't help that Campo is also a bit of a loud mouthed ****** that likes to make outlandish and insulting statements but then complains when people criticise him for it.

He now lives in South Africa and complains that people in Australia kept "shooting him down" over **** he said. But he made his own bed by saying incredibly dumb **** that warranted all the flak he copped.

Yeah, I know about the criticism of Campo and I know that many people hate him for that, but I think he can talk about rugby

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way Conrad, I'm interested, what "difficult rugby questions" did you come up with in the end to stump those "stupid football supporters"? (I'm just thinking back to that thread you started the other day).

Also just as importantly what was their reaction to your questioning?

See this is why I like chatting with you Conrad, you come up with gold like this ;)

So in conclusion:

Talking about Lomu is not "REALLY" talking about rugby with "true rugby supporters".

Only "stupid football supporters" can talk about Lomu.

Because "true rugby supporters" almost never talk about Lomu.

And in particular it is disappointing that a Kiwi should ever talk about Lomu.

and of course lets not forget:

but

oh no wait

Sometimes you're so stupid, both thoughts can coexist:

"Lomu was a good winger, I would never say otherwise" YES, YES AND YES

"Lomu is the most overrated player in the rugby history" YES, YES AND YES

I think as rugby supporters have a duty to talk more about other great players we've had in our sport and not just talk about the strength and speed of Lomu. Rugby is more than that

I don't think one could say Jonah Lomu was a raging homosexual. That's just a strange assumption and statement, and I don't think there's any proof of that in the annals.

I just lost my **** completely at this post.....absolute gold, one of the funniest I've read on here ever.

I'm not so sure why people are so excited by Daniel Tupou...

He's big, but I haven't seen if he can scrummage. He's reasonably quick, but there are plenty of reasonably quick front rowers at that level - most of who just don't get to feature on school-boy rugby for the rugby channel.

He's big, but I haven't seen if he can scrummage. He's reasonably quick, but there are plenty of reasonably quick front rowers at that level - most of who just don't get to feature on school-boy rugby for the rugby channel.

Come on Nick. Have you learnt nothing from this thread? If a player has MASS and is pretty quick he will soon become a superstar (apart from Jonah - he was average). That is fact. Besides when has the ability to scrummage ever been a prerequisite for an Australian prop? ;)

Come on Nick. Have you learnt nothing from this thread? If a player has MASS and is pretty quick he will soon become a superstar (apart from Jonah - he was average). That is fact. Besides when has the ability to scrummage ever been a prerequisite for an Australian prop? ;)

hahahaha exactly! he doesn't need to know how to scrummage :D

Taqele played his first Super Rugby game. Congrats!!!

Taqele played his first Super Rugby game. Congrats!!!

Did you watch him? He was pretty rubbish in the short minutes he played. To be honest it looked like he was just way to eager to make his mark. As a result he over ran a pass and flew out of the line missing at least 2 tackles. He had one nice run though but then almost ballzd it up with a poor offload attempt.

The dude has MASS though, Ill give him that!

People are being a little rough on this guy. He's only 23 and has great pace and agility... his defence was crap and he was way too over eager (missing a beautiful pass from Folau when he was open was pretty poor), but if the coaching staff invest in him they can train out a lot of his deficiencies. It just requires that he have the right attitude.

yeah I saw him over run that pass from Izzy. it was almost as if he was thinking about the next play before he had the ball.

People are being a little rough on this guy. He's only 23 and has great pace and agility... his defence was crap and he was way too over eager (missing a beautiful pass from Folau when he was open was pretty poor), but if the coaching staff invest in him they can train out a lot of his deficiencies. It just requires that he have the right attitude.

The only reason people are being 'rough' on Naiyaravaro is because he has been hyped up so much based almost entirely on his physical dimensions rather than his rugby playing abilities.....

Once again you missing their point, and by some distance.
Lomu is arguably the biggest, fastest, strongest and most explosive player ever - those factors combined
To say Lomu is overrated as a winger in his time, farkid lad, you on something?

Hugo Porta was not selected for his ability to run over people or tackle them off; neither should Lomu be concidered for his ability to do a dropkick or intercept a ball, to wear the "complete player" tag, what bull**** is that?

Lomu never scored against the Boks as he was marked by the likes of Joost vd Westhuisen, James Smalll and Japie Mulder.
He deserved that attention as he was that frightening a prospect. And when Japie Mulder said he was freak of nature, I would not disagree

Overrated is a relative term. All it means is that you believe one player is worse than the average opinion of that player. A player cannot be overrated without some people rating him highly. You're basically an essential part of Conrad's argument!

I think Lomu was all the attributes you mention but I don't think he deserves the revered tone. I have seen him ranked as high as the best rugby player to ever play the game. To me that is definitely overrating him. He's an all time great but at the lower end of the scale. He would probably rank about 40th if I ever listed my all time great players.

As for big wingers well I think Nadolo is a good example that you need more than size. The good defences this season have shut Nadolo down well. He has barely been a feature of the big games for the Crusaders. Israel Folau and Julian Savea have all round games and have shut stood up when their teams needed them.

Latest posts