• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2024 TRC] South Africa v New Zealand - 31/8/2024

OllyM97

Academy Player
1723990467630.jpeg

Venue: Ellis Park
Referee: Andrew Brace (Ireland)

The Springboks are heavy favourites to beat the All Blacks. NZ have been given a 7 point start on the handicap. I reckon SA overturn that and I think they could do it comfortably. I don't know why but if the Boks win I don't think it's a close result. Think it will either be a narrow ABs squeak by 2-3 points or SA by 12-15 points. But I'd favour the latter.

Last edited:
I for one am expecting 1 game each even at home. I just think NZ will lift and we a the best of times tend to struggle to keep the intensity to get passed a team like NZ two games in a row. And we are carrying so much injury (and the bans!) too boot. In most places we do have quality back up but still, no team will not miss Kitshoff, RG Snyman, Mostert, De Jager, Wiese, De Klerk and probably our best player in Willemse.

I for one am expecting 1 game each even at home. I just think NZ will lift and we a the best of times tend to struggle to keep the intensity to get passed a team like NZ two games in a row. And we are carrying so much injury (and the bans!) too boot. In most places we do have quality back up but still, no team will not miss Kitshoff, RG Snyman, Mostert, De Jager, Wiese, De Klerk and probably our best player in Willemse.
Same. Before the squads were named for the rugby championship I thought the boks were clear favourites. Then, seeing all the injuries and suspensions I was not so sure. Still favourites for the Cup, but the All Blacks should compete in SA.

Let's be real here, Pieter Steph du Toit is by far our best player at the moment, probably in the world too. Willemse has a long way to go to recover that form also he just broke Into the first team at the latter end of the world cup.

one win each would be a good result for us i think

Let's be real here, Pieter Steph du Toit is by far our best player at the moment, probably in the world too. Willemse has a long way to go to recover that form also he just broke Into the first team at the latter end of the world cup.
I would agree PSDT is currently our top player. But for me before injury it was Willemse. We can only assume what sort of form Willemse will be in once back.

https://www.springboks.rugby/news-f...-names-springbok-squad-for-new-zealand-tests/.

Some pretty strong cavalry back for SA. Would definitely expect Kitshoff and Wiese to start. Don't expect it to happen but would love Moodie to get a game and light it up.
I fully expect Kitshoff and Wiese to come in. Perhaps Kitshoff on the bench unless Erasmus wants impact off of the bench in which case he will probably prefer Nche wearing jersey 17.

Louw and Smith have gone decently but I think he will want to have a rested/restless Wiese at 8 as the others just haven't grabbed their chances. Pity about Hanekom having been injured. Would have been a great chance to put pressure on Wiese.

Moodie though I cannot see make the match day squad. He can play at 13, wing or 15 but at who's expense? I cannot see it though I do believe he is seen as a long term project. Perhaps if the first test goes swimmingly there will be temptation to go broader with the 2nd.

ive seen lots of people all doom and gloom over this but i think its positive in a weird way, Razor and NZR have been decisive , no ******* around as we saw with fozzie for 4 years

my real question is has someone got on the phone to Tony Brown.....

ive seen lots of people all doom and gloom over this but i think its positive in a weird way, Razor and NZR have been decisive , no ******* around as we saw with fozzie for 4 years

my real question is has someone got on the phone to Tony Brown.....
hopefully but i doubt it would be easy to get him out if that contract.
I'm not surprised at all Macdonald has left.It must be hard for an attack coach to work under big personality Razor. Tony Brown of course was Razor, and Fozzie's, first choice four years ago before he withdrew from both groups. Brown would only work though if Razor liked his approach. Compared to Joseph, he may not get as much autonomy under Razor

hopefully but i doubt it would be easy to get him out if that contract.
I'm not surprised at all Macdonald has left.It must be hard for an attack coach to work under big personality Razor. Tony Brown of course was Razor, and Fozzie's, first choice four years ago before he withdrew from both groups. Brown would only work though if Razor liked his approach. Compared to Joseph, he may not get as much autonomy under Razor
no one really seems to have trouble getting out of contracts, especially an assistant, long gone are the days where people thought you could force anyone to work if they didn;t want, there will be so many clauses in case other opportunities come up

I hear our lock crisis is deepening. RG Snyman still unavailable. That is on top of De Jager, Mostert, Kleyn and more recently Moerat. Apparently Etzebeth is a 50/50 to start as well- even if just test 1. If he is ready then Etzebeth with PSdT and Nortje on the bench is still great- BJD taking the 7 jersey. Or even just start Etzebeth and Nortje.

If Etzebeth is out then I would say keep PSdT at 7 and move BJD into the 4 jersey to partner Nortje. PSdT covering lock from the no7 position. Louw could also cover lock at a pinch so have the bench loaded with loosies like Van Staaden and Smith both even in place of a lock bench spot.

None of the above is ideal but damn, we are being tested with those lock injuries. Maybe time to call in reinforcements from abroad? Jenkins or Van der Mescht perhaps? Who else? I'd love to see JJVdM at 4. With him at 4 we are bound to see the Bokke push in a 1 ton scrum at some point in time. Ou heaviest selection in each position:

1 TdT 136kg
2 JH Wessels 120
3 Malherbe 144
4 JJVdM 145
5 Snyman 131
7 PSdT 115
8 Wiese 118

That comes to 909kg which means anyone at 6 will give us more than a ton in the pack. Make it happen, Rassie!

6 anyone 91kg or more. Most of our 6 option are 105/6kg. Or else go full bore and throw JJvdM at 6 and put in Le Roux Roets at 4. Push for 1050kg.

Last edited:
Call up Cobus Wiese, you know you want to

Could do worse than calling JLdP back up though - he was training with the squad as recently as pre-Ireland series

Call up Cobus Wiese, you know you want to

Could do worse than calling JLdP back up though - he was training with the squad as recently as pre-Ireland series
I thought of the Du Preez twins. But if we haven't called them up yet I can't imagine Rassie giving more caps now. Criminally underrated players. I have totally forgotten about Cobus Wiese.

I also forgot about Nicolas Janse van Rensburg who apparently has already been called in. Don't know how I missed that. For some reason though he just isn't on my radar.

How is Wiese going BTW? I rated him very high at the Stormers when he was still a fringe player here. I expected him to be where Ben Jason Dixon is now.

How is Wiese going BTW?
Started slowly (when being shifted between 2nd/backrow) but turned into a very very good signing - was really gutted when he signed for the Bulls, but can understand his reasons why

Considering he arrived as a 6/lock hybrid he turned into a very good tighthead lock, really strong in the scrum and maul, it was very noticeable when he was/wasn't in the pack and his engine/work rare was second to none

Started slowly (when being shifted between 2nd/backrow) but turned into a very very good signing - was really gutted when he signed for the Bulls, but can understand his reasons why

Considering he arrived as a 6/lock hybrid he turned into a very good tighthead lock, really strong in the scrum and maul, it was very noticeable when he was/wasn't in the pack and his engine/work rare was second to none
I expect the Bulls will likely use him at 4 they are so stacked in the backrow.

Latest posts