Club or Nation
Stormers
DHL Stadium, Cape Town

Line-ups
SA: TBC
vs
NZ: TBC

Referee: Matthew Carley (RFU)
Assistant Referee 1: Andrew Brace (IRFU)
Assistant Referee 2: Jordan Way (RA)
TMO: Ian Tempest (RFU)

Last edited:
I predict NZ will not be happy with Carley after this match.

NZ are the new SA.

But more seriously. I have zero idea what to expect. I feel like I have no clue any more. I feel like I don't even know what the rules are anymore either with Kolbe and Ioane on the touchline, with regard to Fassi and offside, the off feet at rucks, cards for this rather than that. Shot clocks. Bongi's "try" apparently is legit. I always felt I had a decent handle on the game but not anymore.

Aren't we all? Brace is the worst referee in terms of error rate and missing things that we have in the URC. I don't understand how he gets big international games and someone like Hollie Davidson gets SA vs Portugal.

Aren't we all? Brace is the worst referee in terms of error rate and missing things that we have in the URC. I don't understand how he gets big international games and someone like Hollie Davidson gets SA vs Portugal.
He's a good communicator and he's part of a big union. The best URC ref is Piardi. His growth in the last two years is immense and it's reflected in his recent appointments.

The truth is there are very few top refs. The lack of top-tier South African refs is downright pathetic. You have unions like Australia with Berry and Gardner getting top-tier tests and SARU can't get a single Six Nations or TRC test You Saffers likely understand the underlying problem better than me, but it's bizarre that Jaco retired and the there is a no one within a country mile to replace him.

According to news reports, we can soon look forward to these two countries playing eachother 20 times a year. Hopefully the rugby world cup will eventually become South Africa vs New Zealand only, the greatest rugby rivalry ever 🤔

He's a good communicator and he's part of a big union. The best URC ref is Piardi. His growth in the last two years is immense and it's reflected in his recent appointments.

The truth is there are very few top refs. The lack of top-tier South African refs is downright pathetic. You have unions like Australia with Berry and Gardner getting top-tier tests and SARU can't get a single Six Nations or TRC test You Saffers likely understand the underlying problem better than me, but it's bizarre that Jaco retired and the there is a no one within a country mile to replace him.
A lack of SA refs. It's true. That I can actually not give a reason for. Peyper was decent. Joubert had his moments both ways. With the rugby resources at our (SARU) disposal I cannot say why I cannot name a single SA referee that could conceivably ref a rwc QF.
According to news reports, we can soon look forward to these two countries playing eachother 20 times a year. Hopefully the rugby world cup will eventually become South Africa vs New Zealand only, the greatest rugby rivalry ever 🤔
I trust if it increases it won't be more than 3. But that was already too much when it was the case.

1725473833956.jpeg

Go Bokke!!. Genuinely curious as to who the neutrals support in this match-up. Suspect that most go for NZ but I've always supported SA against the All Blacks. Looking forward to another classic battle between the two old rivals. The ABs have never lost 4 in a row against one side in the professional era. Even the Eales/Gregan era Wallabies didn't manage to achieve that feat. The Springboks will accomplish it if they win at the weekend.

View attachment 21298

Go Bokke!!. Genuinely curious as to who the neutrals support in this match-up. Suspect that most go for NZ but I've always supported SA against the All Blacks. Looking forward to another classic battle between the two old rivals. The ABs have never lost 4 in a row against one side in the professional era. Even the Eales/Gregan era Wallabies didn't manage to achieve that feat. The Springboks will accomplish it if they win at the weekend.

Anyone but the All Blacks!

Signed, an England fan.

Plus I have soft spot for the Boks.

I've got South Africa winning this one.
me too i think...bascially i just dont think we have our head around when needs to change to win

its really disheartening because i feel more and more disconnected....the AB's fans i talk too in real lift have load of idea of how to move things around....and often in agreement....and then the AB's coaches just try the same stuff again.........and again....and again

mixing things up a little, was just saying i think BB never looks as good as he does coming off the bench, mad genius against tired legs

1725512738706.png

The changes, forced or not, are not bad at all, but frankly I would have opted for Ioane at 11, Telea at 14 and Proctor at 13.
yeah, although ive seen it mentioned that sititi hasnt played 6 above NPC level...and even then only occasionally...kind of weird when you have Jacobson on the bench who has played there a lot

me too....re ioane/proctor.....i honestly (semi tongue in cheek) wonder if people like ioane and savea have conditions in their contracts on where they start...as savea to 7 and ioane to 11 seems like a really obvious option to try and tidy up some of our deficiencies

1725523175031.jpeg

Williams and Moodie Start - as a neutral, I'm very happy to see that. Only my opinion but I wouldn't have started Pollard. I would have stuck with Sacha and had Pollard on the bench to close it out. WLR also starts which won't please everyone. Am and Hendrikse are back in the squad - SA have reverted to a 5-3 split.

That is a handy-looking NZ side.

SA also making quite a few changes. Moodie in for KLA who is stood down for safety. Pollard and Le Roux in for SFM and Fassi. Rotation or simply wanting older heads in there for a crunch game? I felt SFM and Fassi played well even if there was quite a few lows in amongst the highs. 5-3 bench with Hendrikse and Am coming into the squad. Reinach dropping out completely. Almost surprised to not see Libbok on the bench if Pollard is starting just to keep him in the loop but SFM covers 15 as well.

Missing a buckload of players but still a handy 23 for SA as well. Would've liked to see Thomas du Toit get a bench spot but its good for squad depth to continue with Steenekamp I suppose.

Expecting a close finish again with more "controversy". Both sides will be going at it with everything.

South Africa: 15 Willie le Roux, 14 Canan Moodie, 13 Jesse Kriel, 12 Damian de Allende, 11 Cheslin Kolbe, 10 Handre Pollard, 9 Grant Williams, 8 Jasper Wiese, 7 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 6 Siya Kolisi (c), 5 Ruan Nortje, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Frans Malherbe, 2 Bongi Mbonambi, 1 Ox Nche
Replacements: 16 Malcolm Marx, 17 Gerhard Steenekamp, 18 Vincent Koch, 19 Kwagga Smith, 20 Elrigh Louw, 21 Jaden Hendrikse, 22 Sacha Feinberg-Mngomezulu, 23 Lukhanyo Am

yeah, although ive seen it mentioned that sititi hasnt played 6 above NPC level...and even then only occasionally...kind of weird when you have Jacobson on the bench who has played there a lot

me too....re ioane/proctor.....i honestly (semi tongue in cheek) wonder if people like ioane and savea have conditions in their contracts on where they start...as savea to 7 and ioane to 11 seems like a really obvious option to try and tidy up some of our deficiencies
Razor is still nowhere near settling on his best team yet. I think he's still experimenting and trying to find combinations. To me if ALB isn't starting I wouldn't have him on the bench - I don't think he's a bench player. I'm shocked that Papali'i isn't there - assume he is still injured.

Almost surprised to not see Libbok on the bench if Pollard is starting just to keep him in the loop but SFM covers 15 as well.
Libbok was playing for WP this last weekend (as was Kitshoff), I don't know if he is fully in the camp right now to be honest.

No complaints about the team, BJD likely rotated out due to the poor performance last weekend.

The changes, forced or not, are not bad at all, but frankly I would have opted for Ioane at 11, Telea at 14 and Proctor at 13.
Telea at 11 is the biggest concern. He can't seem to defend that wing and he's kind of useless under the highball.

An old vid, but some Kiwis and gen Z Bok fans still don't understand. Note the white guy's answer especially.

Latest posts