• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2022 Six Nations] Wales vs Scotland (12/02/22)

Not sure about a yellow, if the guy had stayed upright, rather than been heading for the grass, likely wouldnt have hapenned.
For me, whille sone of the decisions were questionalble, the best thing about the referreing was that oit was consistant and the same fore both sides. Odd but even I am OK with, what ruins a game is obvious favourarism like last week Wales vs Ireland.

Well played Wales seems a bit like last weekends Calcutta Cup with red shirts on. Dug in and pulled out a really gritty performance when under pressure.

Scotland I felt didn't do an awful lot wrong initially but the discipline was atrocious and kept Wales in the mix.

Still, this is tournament rugby in the mid range, need to have a massive game against France next.

2022-02-12_18h05_09.png

That moment when someone lets rip and absolute stinker.

Was better from Wales this week still think there's much more room for improvement though. Didn't think the Basham/Morgan back row would work but it did well enough, Wales were actually able to affect the ruck speed this week where they couldn't touch Ireland last week. I'd be disappointed if I was a Scotland fan, they should have been able to close that game out but they lost the plot a bit in the 2nd half. Way too many indiscretions and silly mistakes.

Was better from Wales this week still think there's much more room for improvement though. Didn't think the Basham/Morgan back row would work but it did well enough, Wales were actually able to affect the ruck speed this week where they couldn't touch Ireland last week. I'd be disappointed if I was a Scotland fan, they should have been able to close that game out but they lost the plot a bit in the 2nd half. Way too many indiscretions and silly mistakes.
I was disappointed very much so, there were spells when our attack always looked to make progress then something just didn't stick to make it count. Once the phases were strung together I felt we were really building good pressure before a rip or knock on killed the move dead.

On the plus side I was impressed with Schoeman he popped up everywhere, workrate in open play was massive and together with Fagerson stopped a try right at the last gasp. Tuipoloto and Redpath both looked dangerous when they got a run, Harris too and Grahams try was a superb effort. Not VDMs best outing, he will bounce back though.

Russel was a bit up and down, the pundits and editing reel were fairly doing him down at the end, if Scotland had sneaked a win it would have been all plaudits for his mixed kicking. It wasn't his best day by any stretch but then it was a tough game, no easy run expected at this level. The missed restart and the missed touch was a bit annoying but wasn't horrendous in reality.

On the whole I don't feel the Scotland selection was the problem, we just didn't get into the game enough. Bradbury made an impact when he came on so might like to see him in for France.

I was disappointed very much so, there were spells when our attack always looked to make progress then something just didn't stick to make it count. Once the phases were strung together I felt we were really building good pressure before a rip or knock on killed the move dead.

On the plus side I was impressed with Schoeman he popped up everywhere, workrate in open play was massive and together with Fagerson stopped a try right at the last gasp. Tuipoloto and Redpath both looked dangerous when they got a run, Harris too and Grahams try was a superb effort. Not VDMs best outing, he will bounce back though.

Russel was a bit up and down, the pundits and editing reel were fairly doing him down at the end, if Scotland had sneaked a win it would have been all plaudits for his mixed kicking. It wasn't his best day by any stretch but then it was a tough game, no easy run expected at this level. The missed restart and the missed touch was a bit annoying but wasn't horrendous in reality.

On the whole I don't feel the Scotland selection was the problem, we just didn't get into the game enough. Bradbury made an impact when he came on so might like to see him in for France.
Graham was a nightmare for Wales large parts of the game, he's made a lot of progress and I was impressed with him. Russell had one of those nightmare Jekyl and Hyde games, particularly with kicking out of hand as he sucker punched the team at times where he should have put them in commanding positions.

I think the shock was that second half your backs were barely firing due to errors and just not getting a foothold up front or with quick ruck ball. Remains to be seen whether Wales were just undercooked on week one or whether Scotland just didn't bring their A game, but Twickenham for Wales may answer that!

Despite being a critic of him, thought Watkin had a decent game. Showing a bit more go forward with the ball which is what Wales needed from him. Saying that though, I still would start Halaholo if he's fit against England.

Despite being a critic of him, thought Watkin had a decent game. Showing a bit more go forward with the ball which is what Wales needed from him. Saying that though, I still would start Halaholo if he's fit against England.
Agree re Halaholo.

Faletau came through an hour or so for Bath the other day so maybe we'll see him on the bench against England? Might be a bit soon for him but Moriarty was brought in after only an hour or so for Dragons.

North might be back for the Ospreys game against Leinster later this week so maybe we could see him for the France game but, again, probably too soon and might not be worth the risk.

I wouldn't rush North back. Wouldn't mind seeing Tompkins or Watkins get more game time at 13.

Yeah, you're right. I'd like to see Tompkins at least involved in the 23. Maybe we can get him in the England changing rooms prior to the game and put some laxative in their water or something. Think we'll need some outside the box thinking to get a win.

The returning players (a) need more game time and (b) should earn their places, not just walk straight into them.
Moriarty walked into the team with just 60 odd minutes under his belt and that's Ross Moriarty who was, it's fair to say, quite far down the pecking order not so long ago.

If Navidi was match fit he walks in. AWJ walks in. North walks in and if Faletau is fit he walks in, in my opinion.

Moriarty walked into the team with just 60 odd minutes under his belt and that's Ross Moriarty who was, it's fair to say, quite far down the pecking order not so long ago.

If Navidi was match fit he walks in. AWJ walks in. North walks in and if Faletau is fit he walks in, in my opinion.
This mentality is one reason why there isn't enough strength-in-depth and competition in Wales.

This mentality is one reason why there isn't enough strength-in-depth and competition in Wales.
It's not a mentality thing. It's just stating facts. I think the reason why we lack depth in certain areas compared to others is a bit more complex than that.

What would you suggest when everyone is fit? Just play players we know aren't as good as the people ahead of them? The aim should be to generally raise the standard across the board. As I say, the fact the Moriarty walked back in the side having barely played any rugby over the last year or so says it all.

Latest posts