• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2022 Six Nations] Wales vs Italy (19/03/22)

TRF_Olyy

English Arrogance
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Sale
Screenshot 2022-03-14 at 10.39.13.png

As a huge fan of the legend that is AWJ I would obviously love to see the big man take the field and get his well deserved 150th cap for his country, but at the same time I can't exactly make my mind up considering how the Rowlands-Beard partnership has been starting to look pretty solid now of late. I just hope AWJ really recovers properly before he gets picked in the starting XV again and that he wants to play a role for Wales next year in the WC, whether that is as a playing captain on the field or some kind of coach within the team.

I agree. I'd have him on the bench to bring on for the last 20 against tired legs, though. I'd actually quite like to see Seb Davies in the 2nd row ahead of Beard. Beard hasn't been terrible and has got better as the tournament has gone on but he's not been standout. Rowlands has been the better player so I'd keep him in.

Having said that I'd have thought Pivac will go with Beard and Rowlands but you never know.

Rowlands has seemed to come on quite well this 6 nations, I don't think Beard has done as well so far when compared to last year. He needs to impose himself on the game a bit more, often he goes a bit under the radar in games.
Wales naming their team early later today for some reason. Never really understood the point to be honest though.

Agree with you both - been disappointed with Beard, but he is the young guy in there with potential to grow and he will get better. Rowlands has quietly done an excellent job so doesn't deserve to lose his place for sure.

Would also love to see Seb Davies in second row so interesting to see what the selection looks like today.

Well, Pivac clearly wasn't listening to us knowledgable rugby geniuses.

15. Johnny McNicholl (Scarlets – 9 caps)
14. Louis Rees-Zammit (Gloucester Rugby – 15 caps)
13. Owen Watkin (Ospreys – 30 caps)
12. Uilisi Halaholo (Cardiff Rugby – 9 caps)
11. Josh Adams (Cardiff Rugby – 38 caps)
10. Dan Biggar (Northampton Saints – 99 caps), captain
9. Gareth Davies (Scarlets – 66 caps);
1. Gareth Thomas (Ospreys – 9 caps)
2. Dewi Lake (Ospreys – 4 caps)
3. Dillon Lewis (Cardiff Rugby – 37 caps)
4. Adam Beard (Ospreys – 33 caps), vice-captain
5. Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys – 149 caps)
6. Seb Davies (Cardiff Rugby – 16 caps)
7. Josh Navidi (Cardiff Rugby – 29 caps)
8. Taulupe Faletau (Bath Rugby – 88 caps)

Replacements
16. Bradley Roberts (Ulster Rugby – 1 cap)
17. Wyn Jones (Scarlets – 42 caps)
18. Leon Brown (Dragons – 21 caps)
19. Will Rowlands (Dragons – 17 caps)
20. Ross Moriarty (Dragons – 53 caps)
21. Kieran Hardy (Scarlets – 10 caps)
22. Callum Sheedy (Bristol Bears – 15 caps)
23. Nick Tompkins (Saracens – 19 caps)

AWJ straight in to start - what could go wrong?

Ironically the strongest side Wales have put out this tournament, and it's in a dead rubber vs Italy

If that back line gets some decent ball they will score a few tries. Seems like AWJ get's in to just get 150 caps. Bit disappointed that we haven't seen Ratti at all but not even a place for Morgan or Basham in the 23

AWJ straight in to start - what could go wrong?

Ironically the strongest side Wales have put out this tournament, and it's in a dead rubber vs Italy
I know what you mean about it being a dead rubber but we have a chance to finish above England so all to play for.

More importantly, and I'm not sure on the numbers here, but I think finishing 3rd, as opposed to 5th, is worth about £1 million to the WRU coffers so definitely not something a nation like Wales can afford to turn our noses up at.

As I said earlier, though, I would've had him on the bench to bring on for the last 20 where hopefully we can get a decent point win. Though if England get a losing bonus point I think we need a 45 point win which is doable but it's not like we've exactly been running in tries for fun lately so we need to play our best players if we have any hope of doing that.

Strong looking sqaud, however AWJ's inclusion speaks volumes of where Pivac and the coaches feel the team are in terms of leadership and performance. No one doubts his quality, he is world class. The problem is though he has not played a minute of rugby since the AI's and the moment he is fit he is parachuted back in. If they cannot complete a six nations tournament without him against Italy then Wales have some huge problems!
The old conspiratorial mind makes me think though that throw him in, the Principality cheers him to the rafters, drink loads of beers, celebrate a win against Italy, pop some pounds in the WRFU till and hopefully most wearing the red of Wales will not notice the massive problems Welsh rugby has coming up the track at them.

Strong looking sqaud, however AWJ's inclusion speaks volumes of where Pivac and the coaches feel the team are in terms of leadership and performance. No one doubts his quality, he is world class. The problem is though he has not played a minute of rugby since the AI's and the moment he is fit he is parachuted back in. If they cannot complete a six nations tournament without him against Italy then Wales have some huge problems!
The old conspiratorial mind makes me think though that throw him in, the Principality cheers him to the rafters, drink loads of beers, celebrate a win against Italy, pop some pounds in the WRFU till and hopefully most wearing the red of Wales will not notice the massive problems Welsh rugby has coming up the track at them.
Dunno, give AWJ his 150 cap and then if he struggles or continues to get injured it reduces demand to play him when he is fit.

I'll wait until I hear what Pivac is saying. Rowlands could've had a slight knock or something. He has played pretty much every minute of every match. Similar to Elias who's also been dropped from the 23.

If AWJ is to start I wouldn't have minded seeing him be captain and either Anscombe or Sheedy get a start.

If AWJ is to start I wouldn't have minded seeing him be captain and either Anscombe or Sheedy get a start.
I think Pivac has just mentioned Biggars 100th cap and how nice it'll be that him and AWJ will be sharing the day so looks like there was never any danger of that.

Glad Halaholo is starting at 12, though. And really pleased for Lake. You never get half of what you want in these kind of selections, though. As long as we get a decent bonus point win then I guess who cares, job done I suppose.

Rowlands must be annoyed with that. One of the few bright sparks for Wales this tournament and dropped for someone who's not played in months.
I think any player is annoyed not getting selcted, especially if you've been playing well but Pivac has spoken very highly of him and say they are expecting big things from him, he's also played a lot and is still on the bench.

I disagree with Pivac so not saying he's right but understandable.

Any news on Liam Williams?

Team looks pretty weak tbh. But glad to see that front row get the chance. Just disappointed to see G Davies and Mcnicholl.

AWJ makes sense in reality. Harsh on Rowlands but he'll be a strong finisher anuway and is the best of the 3 coming off the bench I'd say.

Should be AWJ/Rowlands, tbh - Rowlands has been the better of the 2 in the lineout so not like you're sacrificing a first line jumper

Any news on Liam Williams?

Team looks pretty weak tbh. But glad to see that front row get the chance. Just disappointed to see G Davies and Mcnicholl.

AWJ makes sense in reality. Harsh on Rowlands but he'll be a strong finisher anuway and is the best of the 3 coming off the bench I'd say.
I quite like McNicholl to be honest. He'll be good in a game like this and playing at 15 where he's more effective in my opinion. Having said that I'd much rather Ioan Lloyd was involved and think we've missed a trick there not exposing him to international rugby more. Though not helped by the fact he seems to cover every position in the back line.

Agree on Davies but again, he might be well suited to this game.

I didn't think Hardy played that well last week. He's probably not the sole person to blame but he often seemed like he wasn't sure what was meant to be happening next and/or making the wrong decision.

Latest posts