• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2022 Six Nations] Ireland vs Italy (27/02/22)

Kinsella saying Carbery to start. Ryan may be out after taking a knock. Suggesting Hansen and Lowe will be the wings, Conway possibly injured and Larmour getting involved. Henshaw to start and Kilcoyne and Casey to come onto the bench. Also suggests there's a chance of Hume but not sure how that fits with the rest of what he said.

Kinsella saying Carbery to start. Ryan may be out after taking a knock. Suggesting Hansen and Lowe will be the wings, Conway possibly injured and Larmour getting involved. Henshaw to start and Kilcoyne and Casey to come onto the bench. Also suggests there's a chance of Hume but not sure how that fits with the rest of what he said.
Think Ryan being out is confirmed because Moloney, the geography 1 (justice for Wycherley/Kleyn), trained with the team today.

Larmour is set to be in the 23?? Don't massively rate that.

More change than I expected. Can't get excited for this game really though. Neither an interesting enough contest, nor enough players I'm excited to see to care massively. No slam on the line will do that to a man.

I think Larmour has regressed (or probably been caught up with) to the stage where he needs an experimental run as much as any uncapped player. I don't see how he fits in to a 31 player squad if our centres, Carbery and Keenen are all fit. I prefer Jimilicious as a utility option too but obviously Irish management haven't seen the Jimmy light just yet. He's been in good form this year though and had a tougher run than Jimbo so it's not something I'll hold back on.

Balacoune obviously has some workons because his ceiling appears higher than Conway's but he's not being given chances like the others.

Hope the back three is correct, not the most defensively sound thing I've ever seen but as exciting a group as we've had since the Murphy, Hickie, Horgan days.

Must say a few injuries have enforced it but exciting team rumoured. Butbwill learn little and as was said awful time to play Italy. We will win and win well but expect it to be like a training game.
More worried on injuries we picked up

FMcISkmWUAAOmnm.jpeg

Screenshot_20220225-130231.jpg

Glad to see Lowry start. Hopefully the bench will make an appearance on the 50th minute

15. Michael Lowry (Ulster/Banbridge) uncapped
14. Mack Hansen (Connacht) 2 caps
13. Garry Ringrose (Leinster/UCD) 39 caps
12. Robbie Henshaw (Leinster/Buccaneers) 54 caps
11. James Lowe (Leinster) 9 caps
10. Joey Carbery (Munster/Clontarf) 29 caps
9. Jamison Gibson Park (Leinster) 14 caps

1. Andrew Porter (Leinster/UCD) 42 caps
2. Dan Sheehan (Leinster/Lansdowne) 4 caps
3. Tadhg Furlong (Leinster/Clontarf) 54 caps
4. Tadhg Beirne (Munster/Lansdowne) 27 caps
5. Ryan Baird (Leinster/Dublin University) 7 caps
6. Peter O'Mahony (Munster/Cork Constitution) 81 caps CAPTAIN
7. Josh van der Flier (Leinster/UCD) 37 caps
8. Caelan Doris (Leinster/St Mary's College) 14 caps

Replacements:

16. Rob Herring (Ulster/Ballynahinch) 23 caps
17. Dave Kilcoyne (Munster/UL Bohemians) 45 caps
18. Finlay Bealham (Connacht/Buccaneers) 20 caps
19. Kieran Treadwell (Ulster/Ballymena) 3 caps
20. Jack Conan (Leinster/Old Belvedere) 24 caps
21. Craig Casey (Munster/Shannon) 4 caps
22. Johnny Sexton (Leinster/St Mary's College) 102 caps
23. James Hume (Ulster/Banbridge) 2 caps

My god that is an exciting back 3. Happy to see Baird involved and I'm very glad Carbury is starting.

Would have taken Timoney over Conan on the bench but can't have too many complaints with this. Far more excited for this game now.

Definitely a team capable of playing at pace if they get the opportunity. Baird the hipster start in fantasy. Can understand POM coming in with the leadership vacuum but not delighted by it.

My god that is an exciting back 3. Happy to see Baird involved and I'm very glad Carbury is starting.

Would have taken Timoney over Conan on the bench but can't have too many complaints with this. Far more excited for this game now.
Timoney definitely has to earn his place, he's not at the level of Jack Conan atm and I think it's important that while you give guys opportunities, you also make sure that caps are a valuable thing to have, not just thrown around

That being said, very excited to see how Mikey performs at this level, particularly on the counter attack, he's been so deadly for Ulster. Looks like, barring injury, he'll be getting the full 80 as well

That's a sexy backline.

Lightweight second row that you'd feqlar putting out against a lot of teams but it should be fairly explosive here.

Coombes, Balacoune and Deegan are probably looking at this thinking they're far further from the 23 than you'd have thought Hansen, POM and Doris all covering two positions.

Timoney definitely has to earn his place, he's not at the level of Jack Conan atm and I think it's important that while you give guys opportunities, you also make sure that caps are a valuable thing to have, not just thrown around

That being said, very excited to see how Mikey performs at this level, particularly on the counter attack, he's been so deadly for Ulster. Looks like, barring injury, he'll be getting the full 80 as well
I've been a bit underwhelmed with Conan this year. I don't think he's hitting the highs of last year. Timoney can also play 6/7/8 so I'm thinking more of a case of him providing better cover.

I'd actually prefer Doris at 8 currently to be honest, but maybe Conan needs some minutes to get back to his highs again.

That's a sexy backline.

Lightweight second row that you'd feqlar putting out against a lot of teams but it should be fairly explosive here.

Coombes, Balacoune and Deegan are probably looking at this thinking they're far further from the 23 than you'd have thought Hansen, POM and Doris all covering two positions.
Regards Coombes - He has said it himself to me. He isn't rated highly there and knows it too.

It's great to see Farrell coaching without the restraints previous set ups put on themselves or had put on them. A great sign of the momentum Irish rugby has built since 2013.
Agreed. The first time (and I include Sexton in this) no player is massively irreplaceable as depth is being built. Something no other coach seemed to do for a RWC

The props probably are and I'd want Johnny against the best teams we'll play but agree with the sentiment.
But that it. Yes Johnny is first choice. But if he goes down you'd still have faith Joey can execute. Same with props well maybe THP is a concern.
LHP I think we are well placed.

Really well thought out side imo, and I'm as excited about the thinking behind it as the actual selection. He has retained the core of his first team, giving Carbery, Lowry, Sheehan and Baird a real chance to show that they are genuine options capable of competing for starting spot.

I'm not sure I'd start that back three against a top side because I'd have real concerns about their collective defensive strength, but this is the perfect game for that unit.

I appreciate its not a popular opinion, but I think POM is another clever selection by Farrell after the loss of Ryan and Henderson and with Sheehan getting his first start. We need an experienced lineout caller and a banker jumper, and POM fits that bill perfectly, and while he certainly isn't the future, and I personally would love to see Coombes getting a chance, we really need a solid lineout to avoid getting dragged into trench warfare against the Italians. I also think we would have gone to the corner against France if POM or Sexton had been on the pitch.

On squad depth I think the massive glaring weakness is at tighthead, because if we lose Furlong we are right royally f&#ked. With all due respect to Bealham he isn't the first cousin of an international tighthead prop, and never will be. We really need to develop some options there, but I'm not really seeing a lot coming through there.

Latest posts