• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2022 Six Nations] France vs England (19/03/22)

Would you continue with the Malins debacle on the wing?
Depends what the purpose is.

IMO, he's second choice FB for the RWC; maybe in the 23 shirt absent any injuries.
In which case, getting as much game-time into him as possible; whilst not sacrificing game-time for the first choice FB (Steward) makes perfect sense - especially if the aim is to get rid of Daly...

But it means sacrificing performance now, for gains to be had down the road - which we 100% know is an Eddie thing - and a thing I don't have a problem with per se - I just wish he wouldn't make quite so many short-term sacrifices for that aim.

Last edited:

IMO, he's second choice FB for the RWC; maybe in the 23 shirt absent any injuries.
In which case, getting as much game-time into him as possible; whilst not sacrificing game-time for the first choice FB (Steward) makes perfect sense - especially if the aim is to get rid of Daly...

But it means sacrificing performance now, for gains to be had down the road - which we 100% know is an Eddie thing - and a thing I don't have a problem with per se - I just wish he wouldn't make quite so many short-term sacrifices for that aim.
But Jones hasn't done that with any other of the much more vital positions so I don't think that's his logic at all. I think he rates average Malins as the next best wing after our injuries.

why would Jones do that with FB but not with any other more key positions? I think that would be a lovely view but it's pure guesswork.

Fitness permitting and provided he plays there for his club etc I'd definitely have Watson as the alternative to Steward.

Then you're looking at squad spots and Malins, Furbank even Nowell or Slade can all cover FB to differing degrees. I just haven't seen anything in Malins to suggest he brings any USPs at this level.

Jones evidently saw him as the next cab off the rank after the injuries on the wing. Notwithstanding that we haven't played well that experiment has failed and a rethink is needed.

I've read in various places that Jones thinks Willis is as much as 8 or 9 months away from getting back to his real peak plus Underhill isn't yet fit enough for international rugby.

Apparently the 34 man squad announced yesterday will be trimmed to 27 to travel to France late tonight. Will be v interesting to see which back rowers make the trip.

why would Jones do that with FB but not with any other more key positions? I think that would be a lovely view but it's pure guesswork.
Because there aren't any other positions where the 2 candidates are both novices, and one of them is capable (at club level, at least) of playing a different, less important position which has a current vacancy, and doesn't need a new infusion?
Closest I can think of is Dombrandt and Simmonds fighting for the 8 shirt - but with the exception that there isn't a vacancy at flanker, flanker is way, way more essential than wing, and that neither reach the hights of "perfectly capable" there at club level.

Of course it's guesswork, but it's guesswork based on what we know about Eddie, what we know about the players involved, and we (or I) expect the RWC squad to be looking like. [pedant] so much more estimatework than guesswork [/pedant]

Last edited:
I've read in various places that Jones thinks Willis is as much as 8 or 9 months away from getting back to his real peak plus Underhill isn't yet fit enough for international rugby.
Weird to bring them into camp, then - I know it means he gets a closer look at them, but if he's no intention of playing them then surely leaving them undisturbed at their clubs to train/prepare/play would be better for their progress

Weird to bring them into camp, then - I know it means he gets a closer look at them, but if he's no intention of playing them then surely leaving them undisturbed at their clubs to train/prepare/play would be better for their progress
Presumably, he's made that assessment having now seen them train and put them through his fitness assessments.
It also keeps them in the loop, and sits them in for the analysis and tactical meetings.
Not to mention the psychological impact of a "we still love you, we still want you" message.

For the sake of what? 2 days away from their clubs, who don't have anything important on the horizon, and they're unlikely to miss anything of any importance.

Now, why do you lot keep pushing me into "defend Eddie" mode? I'm really not comfortable there, and would far rather be taking swipes at him!

Apparently the 34 man squad announced yesterday will be trimmed to 27 to travel to France late tonight. Will be v interesting to see which back rowers make the trip.
It makes sense.

Different sport I know, but Virgil Van Dyke injured his ACL/operated on in October 2020 and returned to playing start of this season. He's only just really got back to his pre injury form.

Last edited:
Presumably, he's made that assessment having now seen them train and put them through his fitness assessments.
It also keeps them in the loop, and sits them in for the analysis and tactical meetings.
Not to mention the psychological impact of a "we still love you, we still want you" message.

For the sake of what? 2 days away from their clubs, who don't have anything important on the horizon, and they're unlikely to miss anything of any importance.

Now, why do you lot keep pushing me into "defend Eddie" mode? I'm really not comfortable there, and would far rather be taking swipes at him!
I guess the thing is that they're the only 2 open sides in the 34 man squad so unless they are miles off the pace I'm assuming at least one will travel.

Either that or my 4 locks facetiousness may just start to look like premonition. Another option might be Simmonds at 7 - he kind of looks like a nose to the ground flanker but isn't really.

What about Ludlum? (Apologies if I'm mistaken and he is not in the squad)

A back row of Lawes, Ludlum, Dombrandt could be quite a handful.

Just as a testament to the dumbassery of Ewels, literally 5 seconds before he tackled James Ryan, he put in an almost identical tackle on Peter O'Mahony, fully upright and in danger of head contact. What total stupidity, you cant even suggest its a one off after seeing that

Just as a testament to the dumbassery of Ewels, literally 5 seconds before he tackled James Ryan, he put in an almost identical tackle on Peter O'Mahony, fully upright and in danger of head contact. What total stupidity, you cant even suggest its a one off after seeing that
Yeah but POM is a **** on the pitch so that counts as mitigation

Latest posts