• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2021 Six Nations] France vs Wales (20/03/2021)

Despite the loss, even a 2nd place will justify the 27 Welsh players in the lions squad. ;)

It's the same french defence that England and Ireland played. :p
I only looked back 10 years but only once, England 2019, have any teams scored more points than Wales in a 6 nations. That's counting on Scotland not getting pumped next week.
2 dodgy tries vs England and 8 against teams whilst down to 14 men though... It says Wales are pretty good at attacking sides down to 14 men but nearly half were with the side a man down. Not to discount them but I think that it doesn't give a full picture of Welsh attack.

2 dodgy tries vs England and 8 against teams whilst down to 14 men though...
Not Wales' fault other teams find their heads such a juicy target. I will give you the two dodgy England tries though. Although they did have penalty advantages for both.

Not Wales' fault other teams find their heads such a juicy target. I will give you the two dodgy England tries though. Although they did have penalty advantages for both.
Not saying it's Wales fault, just that I think it's too early to really make comment based on the number of points scored as nearly half of those points were against 14 men, not 15. It says Welsh attack is very good against 14 and through better discipline / luck they keep their players on the field more but I just don't feel that particular point is one that can really be commented on until it has had a prolonged run against 15.

2 dodgy tries vs England and 8 against teams whilst down to 14 men though... It says Wales are pretty good at attacking sides down to 14 men but nearly half were with the side a man down. Not to discount them but I think that it doesn't give a full picture of Welsh attack.
Just coz you couldn't beat 14 men yesterday, it's okay RR we get it...

1616341229380.gif

LP
Not saying it's Wales fault, just that I think it's too early to really make comment based on the number of points scored as nearly half of those points were against 14 men, not 15. It says Welsh attack is very good against 14 and through better discipline / luck they keep their players on the field more but I just don't feel that particular point is one that can really be commented on until it has had a prolonged run against 15.
What about yesterday where they put more points on a 15 man France away than either England or Ireland did at home?

LP

What about yesterday where they put more points on a 15 man France away than either England or France did at home?
Last week England beat France. I wouldn't say that single games really says much other than England can turn it up for the odd game. 2019 England scored tons of points yet as we have seen, we have not been able to maintain that. All I'm saying is Wales have had a single year where they have scored a lot of points, nearly half were against 14 men and 2 very dodgy decisions. If this becomes a theme and they continue to do it against 15 then yes, I'd fully accept the attack is vastly improved. I'm just saying that I don't think the way this 6N has panned out really lends itself to making many comments about that.

Last week England beat France. I wouldn't say that single games really says much other than England can turn it up for the odd game. 2019 England scored tons of points yet as we have seen, we have not been able to maintain that. All I'm saying is Wales have had a single year where they have scored a lot of points, nearly half were against 14 men and 2 very dodgy decisions. If this becomes a theme and they continue to do it against 15 then yes, I'd fully accept the attack is vastly improved. I'm just saying that I don't think the way this 6N has panned out really lends itself to making many comments about that.
Did you see Wales last Autumn? A single try is an improvement I don't think Wales are that great at the moment, but they are better than a lot of people give them credit for. With the England game for example, yes it was two dodgy decisions. But people overlook the last 20 where Wales completely dominated the game.

Despite the loss, even a 2nd place will justify the 27 Welsh players in the lions squad. ;)
Wouldn't complain if 27 Welsh did, last time out a number of the England contingent came back far worse then they left, would rather avoid that this time around especially if it's a watered down version.

Wouldn't complain if 27 Welsh did, last time out a number of the England contingent came back far worse then they left, would rather avoid that this time around especially if it's a watered down version.
Us too tbh... I'd be happy with AWJ going as Captain (as a great end to his career) and no other Welsh players selected.

Don't get me wrong I don't think Wales currently would be troubling SA for world cup. But last week England narrowly beat this French team at home and were back to their best. Wales lose to be fair but give the same french team a massive run for their money away but that was just luck.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong I don't think Wales currently would be troubling SA for world cup. But last week England narrowly beat this French team at home and wete back to their best. Wales lose to be fair but give the same french team a massive run for their money away but that was just luck.
It's all good bud, I think the realistic view is one that we are not as bad as we were last year but not quite up there with SA and NZ. After that I'd suggest that there isn't a great deal between France, Wales, Ireland, Scotland and England.

Don't get me wrong I don't think Wales currently would be troubling SA for world cup. But last week England narrowly beat this French team at home and were back to their best. Wales lose to be fair but give the same french team a massive run for their money away but that was just luck.

The last time we played SA was in the semi final and they beat an injury ravaged Wales by 3 points. I'd class that as troubling them and considering the fact they haven't played since then I wouldn't say I'd be ******** it about playing them at the WC. A lot can change between now and then though.

Not sure about that Wales were excellent yesterday as were France not sure anyone is disputing that, I think Wales have slowly improved over the course of the tournament and maybe getting the rub of the green on a few occasions aiding winning which has given them huge confidence to build on, perhaps the opposite to some extent is true of England, although they did get the win against France. Either way it's fair to say Wales hugely exceeded expectation.

Is all good bud, I think the realistic view is one that we are not as bad as we were last year but not quite up there with SA and NZ. After that I'd suggest that there isn't a great deal between France, Wales, Ireland, Scotland and England.
I was so down before going into this tournament. I thought 2 wins would have been a positive but Wales played quite well at times. There were too many periods of games where the other team dominated though, this cost them the grand slam with France controlling the last 20. But there was some real positives at times.

Latest posts