• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2020 Six Nations] Ireland vs Scotland (01/02/20)

So just out of interest what was it that Hogg did that irked you English so?

Was quoted as saying "England don't respect us" back in 2015. It was Sean Maitland who said he was "brought up to hate the English" in a half joking way but most people chose to focus on the headline and didn't watch the whole interview which would have revealed the manner in which it was said. Maitland has always come across as a humble and down to earth bloke as most Sarries fans will know.

Said Scotland could beat England......

Not being facetious at all..
Was quoted as saying "England don't respect us" back in 2015. It was Sean Maitland who said he was "brought up to hate the English" in a half joking way but most people chose to focus on the headline and didn't watch the whole interview which would have revealed the manner in which it was said. Maitland has always come across as a humble and down to earth bloke as most Sarries fans will know.
The frikkin heathen!

So conclusions from that:

1. Healy didn't get his scrummage right - will be disappointed in himself I'd think. 5
2. Herring threw well. Quite a few went to the tail and were solid. (Pity about the maul setup after the catch though.) 7
3. Furlong did what Furlong does. But was part of a scrum that creaked a lot more than expected. 6
4. Henderson won quite a few Scottish lineouts and made a few big tackles. 7
5. Ryan had a quieter game, not at his usual (very) high standards. Butchered an overlap in the first half after the Aki break. 5
6. Stander was brilliant, but missed having another big ball carrier with him in the back row.
7. VDF will (and did) tackle all day, but simply not as good a carrier as Leavy or SOB was. 7
8. Doris - not on long enough to rate.

9. Murray was as the norm now, as slow as a week in jail. Box kicks consistently 10 yards too long or 10 yards too short. Needs to be dropped...- out of the squad. 4
10. Sexton was alright, wish he'd quit whining at the referee and worry more about how flat the backs are. 6
11. Conway did OK, hard to hold it against him that he never got much good ball to work with - but shouldn't be scared of going looking it. Good hustle toward the end of the game. 6
12. Aki made a very nice break in the first half, great line. But the midfield play is still pretty turgid, is that his fault or whats going on nearer the ruck? 6
13. Ringrose did alright, didn't set the world on fire and part of the same turgid midfield. Same question as above. 5
14. Stockdale, one good break off Sexton's drop-out, but other than that, fairly quiet. Like Conway, shouldn't be scared of going to look for it if the midfield are unable to deliver timely ball. 5
15. Larmour did not overly impress me, ran up a few too many blind alleys for me and the foot in touch in the 2nd half was kids stuff. Given how the lineouts were going, a bit more territory should have been on the agenda. 5

Others
O'Mahony did the usual, look angry, make a turnover or two and generally do f**k all else. If you wonder why Stander was brilliant yet we couldn't consistently carry the gainline, look no further. 4
Cooney - 4 tackles in his first 5 minutes and about 100 yards of territory off 2 kicks. Much quicker at the base of the ruck compared to what went before. If he doesn't get a start now... 6
Porter - Fair play to him for running both sides of the scrum (these days) 5

Byrne - had one thing to do and f**ked it up, sliced a clearance, thankfully Scotland couldn't capitalise when the pack subsequently f**ked up the lineout. Not on long enough to be rated.
Kelleher - not on long enough to be rated.
Toner - not on long enough to be rated.

Doris - not on long enough to be rated.
Killer - not on long enough to be rated.

In general
Our territory play was very poor. We picked off a number of Scottish lineouts, yet didn't see fit to kick for touch deep into their 22 until Cooney came on and pressure their lineout in the redzone.
Our backplay was its usual turgid mess. Between slow ruck ball from Murray a fairly poor alignment and **** passing, we never really threatened too much. The breaks we made were more off either bad Scottish numbering or a bit of fortune.

The changes
Cooney for Murray. Obviously. McGrath would be onto my bench too.
O'Donoghue for O'Mahony? I would.
The props will depend on how Killer and Furlong are.
Addison for Larmour? I probably would - although he might come into the bench if Ringrose is out.

Oh and Hogg dropping the ball couldn't happen to a better ******.

I think POM is being wrongly hammered again. Don't think he was superb and didn't set world alight to say he should be starting next week but equally wasn't terible enough to say he should be gone completely.
Healy I think was ok and think him and Killer compliment eachother well as do Furlong and Porter.
At 9. Cooney I agree should start next week. He again was fine tonight not great not good but fine and this mixed with Conor being poor. He started well but his box kick was awful.
Am I only 1 who taught Aki did fine. Alot of people, not here, slating POM etc were same who said it's a disgrace Aki and Stander were selected in 23 this week. They don't know alot.
Conway and Stockdale were ok not great and Larmour was ok too but the game didn't suit them. Doesn't mean they were awful or not up to it just it was a battle. On Toner and havong rewatched it. The worry os he was very weak and seemed not powerful or up to international rugby any more in his little cameo. And this isn't a dig at him as he was selected on form and I'm not saying anyone else should be in more a worry going forward.
Changes for next week pending on injuries.
Front row I'd keep same. As well as 16-18
4&5 the same. 19 not saying I'd change but would look at all options.
If Doris out I would throw Jacko or Deegan in and start POM at 19 regardless.
9. Cooney. 21. Murray
10. Sexton. 22. Byrne was poor today but stays there.
12.13. Same as started although Henshaw looked alive too. Of Ringrose out I confused as I hate Aki Henshaw centre.
Same back 3 with Addison as 23 regardless.

But the test next week will be much more tougher and todays performance will not be worthy of a LBP

I think POM is being wrongly hammered again. Don't think he was superb and didn't set world alight to say he should be starting next week but equally wasn't terible enough to say he should be gone completely.
Healy I think was ok and think him and Killer compliment eachother well as do Furlong and Porter.
At 9. Cooney I agree should start next week. He again was fine tonight not great not good but fine and this mixed with Conor being poor. He started well but his box kick was awful.
Am I only 1 who taught Aki did fine. Alot of people, not here, slating POM etc were same who said it's a disgrace Aki and Stander were selected in 23 this week. They don't know alot.
Conway and Stockdale were ok not great and Larmour was ok too but the game didn't suit them. Doesn't mean they were awful or not up to it just it was a battle. On Toner and havong rewatched it. The worry os he was very weak and seemed not powerful or up to international rugby any more in his little cameo. And this isn't a dig at him as he was selected on form and I'm not saying anyone else should be in more a worry going forward.
Changes for next week pending on injuries.
Front row I'd keep same. As well as 16-18
4&5 the same. 19 not saying I'd change but would look at all options.
If Doris out I would throw Jacko or Deegan in and start POM at 19 regardless.
9. Cooney. 21. Murray
10. Sexton. 22. Byrne was poor today but stays there.
12.13. Same as started although Henshaw looked alive too. Of Ringrose out I confused as I hate Aki Henshaw centre.
Same back 3 with Addison as 23 regardless.

But the test next week will be much more tougher and todays performance will not be worthy of a LBP
Thought Aki did well overall, he and Ringrose actually offered a decent threat in the first half, most dangerous showing from our centres in a while. Wasn't a game for the back three players but they mostly did well when they were involved.

POM was fine, not great and not terrible today, but he and Josh Vdf in the same backrow isn't a good idea, it just doesn't work mostly. Van der Flier is great but he needs the other two players to be able to consistently carry. Still for next week would go for the three we had out there with Deegan on the bench next week, but I'd be looking to change things as the tournament went on. Centres I'd keep the same assuming Ringrose is fit, Henshaw did well but would have Addison at 23 if he's available. Byrne botched his one involvement today but will stay.

Swap Cooney and Murray and to he honest on current form McGrath is unlucky not to be involved as well. There's a point where we just need to pickthe best performing players and we're long past it. Porter should be ahead of Furlong on form. All three locks were decent today I thought, don't necessarily agree on Toner, I thought he looked fine. Do think Dillanne should be considered a genuine option though, but not until the hookers are more established.

As I recall it, it was in the aftermath of England loosing the 6 Nations ***le when Scotland got spanked spectacularly, I think by Wales, England spanked Italy in Rome by a fair old lick, anyway the fact that he was such a prick about it and guess what an English club now pay his salary what a nob.

As I recall it, it was in the aftermath of England loosing the 6 Nations ***le when Scotland got spanked spectacularly, I think by Wales, England spanked Italy in Rome by a fair old lick, anyway the fact that he was such a prick about it and guess what an English club now pay his salary what a nob.

I assume you've come out from under your bridge and had a few refreshments. Btw, it's losing not loosing.

I assume you've come out from under your bridge and had a few refreshments. Btw, it's losing not loosing.
Not really sure what bridge it is I'm supposed to have been under, I've posted multiple times today, I was typing pretty quickly between attending to my 9 week old daughter. I was simply responding to how I remember it, I'm sorry if that offends you.

Not really sure what bridge it is I'm supposed to have been under, I've posted multiple times today, I was typing pretty quickly between attending to my 9 week old daughter. I was simply responding to how I remember it, I'm sorry if that offends you.

Well I'm guessing your previous posts of the day didn't include the words prick, nob and spanked x 2 all in the same sentence! That's some going. Hats off for bringing your baby daughter into it.

Well I'm guessing your previous posts of the day didn't include the words prick, nob and spanked x 2 all in the same sentence! That's some going. Hats off for bringing your baby daughter into it.
What's with the moral high ground? Your assumptions are what got us into this debate. you assume I'm half cut and base your response on that, I simply explain that isn't quite the case, then you respond with that, I appreciate Hogg is your boy, he's a fantastic rugby player but IMO not great personality, he's come across heavily as anti English and yet happily accepts a superior salary from an English club this screams to me of hypocrisy of the tallest order.
As for multiple uses of spanking it was described by the media as annihilation and demolition so you could say I put it nicely.
The fact remains the original question was why the English dislike Hogg, I doubt even you honestly think you are better placed to explain it than the English, I have no real interest in debating this any further so if you feel strongly about it we can both simply invoke the ignore button.

Genuinely surprised that people don't understand why others don't like Hogg. He's been a jebbend his whole career, even taking away his xenophobia/anti-Englishness he doesn't really endear himself to his opposition on the pitch - guys a chippy little fecker (I guess you have to be when you're 4 foot nothing playing against roided up giants).

I don't think it's anything to take offence to - there's plenty of English players that people hate, and it's whatever. If Biggar or POM dropped a ball over the line I don't think the Welsh/Irish would take the ribbing personally.

Genuinely surprised that people don't understand why others don't like Hogg. He's been a jebbend his whole career, even taking away his xenophobia/anti-Englishness he doesn't really endear himself to his opposition on the pitch - guys a chippy little fecker (I guess you have to be when you're 4 foot nothing playing against roided up giants).

I don't think it's anything to take offence to - there's plenty of English players that people hate, and it's whatever. If Biggar or POM dropped a ball over the line I don't think the Welsh/Irish would take the ribbing personally.

I've honestly not heard about the alleged xenophobia/anti-English thing till today... and I'm still not overly sure on what actually occurred as there appears to be contrasting views. As for him being a 'chippy little fecker', I've just always took his demeanour as being fiercely Scottish and fiercely competitive... things I have no problem with, which is why I was so curious as to the animosity thrown his way.

Honestly why defend a guy who celebrated a try when he quite clearly must of known he dropped it? It's not like it was marginal. That is just bad sportsmanship of the highest order.

Honestly why defend a guy who celebrated a try when he quite clearly must of known he dropped it? It's not like it was marginal. That is just bad sportsmanship of the highest order.
Not intentionally defending the guy just wanting to understand the vitriol. Your comment :rolleyes: is pretty spot on though.

Last edited:
I've honestly not heard about the alleged xenophobia/anti-English thing till today... and I'm still not overly sure on what actually occurred as there appears to be contrasting views. As for him being a 'chippy little fecker', I've just always took his demeanour as being fiercely Scottish and fiercely competitive... things I have no problem with, which is why I was so curious as to the animosity thrown his way.

The 'England don't respect us' quote back in 2015 was the one I could recall. If anyone has anyone video clips or articles that support the xenophobia claim then I'm open minded enough to take a look.

Latest posts