1. 2016 RBS Six Nations Rugby Table - The Rugby Forum
    Table updated after last fixture of the weekend

[2019 Six Nations] Wales v Ireland (16/03/2019)

Discussion in '2020 Guinness Six Nations' started by The Alpha Bro, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Every Time Ref

Every Time Ref First XV

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Bath

England have been looking for a proper 12 since 2003, you’re telling me you had one hidden in your drinks cabinet all along?

FML

• Like Like x 6
  2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. The5thOfficial

The5thOfficial Bench Player

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

Wales

And what of Gatland and his achievments with Wales (and the Lions)? Its not that long ago that he was getting shanked in forums like this one for a whole series of reasons - and remember not 2 yrs ago when he was getting most stick, he'd done 2 GSs by then. How times change. Now he's getting the accolades he deserves it seems, in the media at least. Be some time before his records are broken I think.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bluemoon

Bluemoon First XV

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

Cardiff

It’s not hate. I just feel he is over rated. He’s got his shot at 7 at the moment but isn’t really making an impact for me. I think he does his job in terms of defence but he doesn’t offer much that other teams would be worried about, I’m not the only person to say it. But we can agree to disagree on this one.

5. oj121

oj121 Academy Player

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

Cardiff

Just some stats for the 6 nations
    Navidi 83 tackles 4 turnovers
    Tips 67 tackles 2 turnovers

Strangely the guy with the most turnovers...George North with 5!

Moriarty not listed on the tables for those although had the most carries in a red shirt with 51...2 ahead of Liam Williams.

Stats dont tell you everything BUT they do give some depth to the arguements.

I would also imagine Falatau getting 50 carries would have created some serious yardage.

6. Dai Yorkshire

Dai Yorkshire Academy Player

Navidi has really come of age these last rtwelve months, As for tipric todays 7s need to be strong over the ball, tips gets moved too easily, when have you seen tips do a dominant tackle, he holds on but the second tackler usually puts them to ground. Jenkins is a modern day seven has captained a side that has beaten the ABs at under 20, so as you say, one for the future.
    With Faletau and Jenkins in the BR there would be room for shingle imo,. but Navidi has I think made part of the BR his. he has improved his upper body strength 10 fold and has made him all the better.

• Like Like x 2
  7. oj121

oj121 Academy Player

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

Cardiff

To be fair Navidi has been good enough for 3/4 years but he was a 7 that had Warburton ahead of him at club level and before that Martyn Williams. At national level had those 2 and Tips ahead of him plus others. It just a case of taking the chance as its lands. Every top player needed a break. Ellis Jenkins has been in the same boat really with Warburton and Navidi so has taken maybe 2 years longer to break through at club level as a result.

8. munstermuffin

munstermuffin Hall of Fame

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Munster

For all the hate on Peter O'Mahony he was awarded the Irish player of tournament boyed by all players and staff. Won it be a large amount too.

9. The Alpha Bro

The Alpha Bro Fat Boi

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

• Like Like x 1
  10. truthteller

truthteller Academy Player

This welsh side is a serious world cup contender now, with 14 wins on the trot and massive confidence and serious quality in most positions. But will Gats sacrifice their shot at the world record winning run of 18 by giving a second string a chance in the summer friendlies with England and ireland to develop that depth for the world cup? I can see Gats going for something like

15 halfpenny (needs some games)
    14 steff evans (ball of energy try scoring machine)
    13 tyler morgan (classy and back from injury)
    12 scott williams (beast and quick too)
    11 josh adams (let him build more experience)
    10 patchell (by far the most talented 10 in wales give the man a fair go at 10, we need a 3rd fly half)
    9 tom williams (unless they can do a deal with rhys webb?)
    8 faletau (should be available by august)
    7 ellis jenkins fingers crossed for his return too
    6 shingler due back any time hes in training already
    5 seb davies the next great hope ...all 18 stones of him
    4 jake ball...need an enforcer when resting sir AWJ
    3 samson lee. huge scrummager needs a run of games
    2 ryan elias scarelts back hooker, already one heck of a player
    1 nicky smith. mobile and strong scrummager
    reps
    gareth davies, jarod evans (classy blues fly half) cory allen (I really rate him at 13 or even wing) , dan lydiate, cory hill, dillon lewis, dee, wyn jones (cracking loose head)

11. mania

mania First XV

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Samoa

and the lions tour. to come to nz as the underdog and then to play all the superFranchises and draw with the ABs was awesome. bretahed life back into the lions tour whilst handing nz a good portion of humble pie.
    twas epic

• Like Like x 1
  12. bushytop

bushytop First XV

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

London Welsh

Where does he stand in NZ, in terms of his chances to replace Hansen?

13. Ridzenieks

Ridzenieks Academy Player

Country Flag:

UK

Club or Nation:

New Zealand

Love Southern Hemisphere rugby as one may, what a wonderful Six Nations. A game like Wales v England was plain scary for the pressure and physicality.
    Wales are a number 9 away from being complete.
    There has been a journalistic opinion in NZ that this is the weakest AB side since 2005. To have a chance in October, we need luck with the good health of key players, on field interpretations, and one, any, someone please, who can kick a goal every now and then.
    Looking across the various sites, there seems to be zero love for SA as potential winners of the World Cup. Watch out!
    A controversial view on Ireland's performance in the 6N. That is, that they entered the competition, perhaps, looking better than they actually are because the success against NZ came about through some very sympathetic officiating.
    The hype and expectation on the team - not its fault - was based on a false premise.

14. The Alpha Bro

The Alpha Bro Fat Boi

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

Controversial and retarded aren't synonyms.

15. mania

mania First XV

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Samoa

not well unfortunately. the nz media hate him and to the few people i've spoken to they reckon he was disrespectful to NZ too many times. which is bs. gatlands was simply sparring and giving it back.
    those ppl need to get the fk over it.
    imho gatlands a viable option and should be considered with those others that will apply. love to see him in the ABs environment. schmidt head coach and gatland as an assistent. of couorse i'm dreaming as its never going to happen.

16. bushytop

bushytop First XV

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

London Welsh

Obviously a bit biased but I think a Gatland-Robertson (Head coach - Assistant) would be the ultimate set up.

17. The Alpha Bro

The Alpha Bro Fat Boi

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

I genuinely don't think Schmidt will coach professionally again after this world cup.

Yesterday he said "I don't know how Warren has coached internationally for 12 years, 6 has nearly killed me." In the same breath he was determined for the world cup but I think he's ready to give it in after.

18. bushytop

bushytop First XV

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

London Welsh

Interesting article in WOL where Shaun Edwards seems to intimate that he would’ve been open to staying on with Wales post World Cup but “Pivac wants to go in a different direction”. Maybe Pivac feels that Edwards defence would not blend with Wellies attack... but that is an almighty call to make after a slam built on D.

Having watched a lot of Scarlets over the last 3 or 4 years, defence is definitely not their strongest attribute... particularly this year (mitigated somewhat by their injury ravaged squad). I really hope that he doesn’t appoint Hayward as our D coach... it’s not say I don’t rate him at all but I’m not sure he is up to the task of coaching defence at the highest level of the game. If he does get the role though... I would be extremely happy for him to prove me wrong though.

19. mania

mania First XV

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Samoa

yeah he's called beuden barrett.

20. truthteller

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=12213471
    crikey i hope thats not true? its madness to turn down the best defence coach on the planet and an honorary welshman too

21. truthteller

How do the welsh rugby union split the £5.5 million prize money?

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!