• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2019 Six Nations] Wales v Ireland (16/03/2019)

What a day... I was so nervous yesterday morning and hadn't really felt that way for any of the previous games this 6N. I woke up fully dressed and on the sofa... not joking I destroyed a 70cl bottle of Jameson's and there is like a single measure left in the litre bottle of Proper 12. Not sure when the last time was that I hit it that hard.

As many have said, we have played somewhat within ourselves this championship (hell, this run!) but it doesn't really matter... a slam is a thing to be cherished regardless. So proud of the team, the squad and the coaches etc. there is something special in that camp... you can feel it oozing out from them (listened to an Ugo Pod where he visited the camp prior to the 6N and it was apparent).

AWJ is just such a legend... I'm sure he tore is interior knee ligaments in about the 5th minute yesterday... but he 'run' it off... there was just no way he was coming off the field without the slam. I can't put into words how impressed by that I am. I hope his knee is ok... we need it (& him) for the World Cup. Arise Sir Alun Wyn...
England have been looking for a proper 12 since 2003, you're telling me you had one hidden in your drinks cabinet all along?

FML

And what of Gatland and his achievments with Wales (and the Lions)? Its not that long ago that he was getting shanked in forums like this one for a whole series of reasons - and remember not 2 yrs ago when he was getting most stick, he'd done 2 GSs by then. How times change. Now he's getting the accolades he deserves it seems, in the media at least. Be some time before his records are broken I think.

Sorry, but Ellis Jenkins hasn't overtaken Tipuric yet. Only area he's superior is over the ball. I'd have James Davies over Jenkins as well. Jenkins may well develop into the world class player he's capable of being, and a future Welsh captain, but he's suffered too many serious injuries to be in contention for this WC.

Honestly baffled by the Tipuric hate. Guys been a world class player for 8 years. He's a player capable of doing the dirty work and the sublime. He's keep his place in a fully fit back row alongside Faletau at 8 and a shoot-out between Shingler (who was superb pre injury, and would go a long way in sorting out our lineout), Moriarty, and Navidi at 6.

It's not hate. I just feel he is over rated. He's got his shot at 7 at the moment but isn't really making an impact for me. I think he does his job in terms of defence but he doesn't offer much that other teams would be worried about, I'm not the only person to say it. But we can agree to disagree on this one.

Just some stats for the 6 nations
Navidi 83 tackles 4 turnovers
Tips 67 tackles 2 turnovers

Strangely the guy with the most turnovers...George North with 5!

Moriarty not listed on the tables for those although had the most carries in a red shirt with 51...2 ahead of Liam Williams.

Stats dont tell you everything BUT they do give some depth to the arguements.

I would also imagine Falatau getting 50 carries would have created some serious yardage.

I agree with Shingler in the lineout but for him to play I really think there needs balance. I dont think you can have Tips, Jenkins or Cubby at 7 with Shingler at 6 as the backrow would be too light and not abrasive enough. Wales would lose what the currently have.

I feel if we play Shingler it has to be Navidi at 7 so you kind of narrow your options list. Ellis Jenkins MAY work but it would need to be seen how abrasive he can be after such an injury.

I do feel Jenkins is the future and can be Sam Warburton levels of ability.

Is Navidi a 6 or a 7? He has always been a 7 and been a make shift 6/8 at the Blues.

Why is Tips constantly cristised? He doesnt do anything wrong as such. I just wonder if the current gameplan simply doesnt fit his style? He is just boringly consistent. Dod he even miss a tackle this tournament?

I just dont rate Moriarty atm. I thought he was class during the lions season but atm he seems to go nowhere on carries and always looks like he is about to lose his head. He has also missed a lot of tackles.
Navidi has really come of age these last rtwelve months, As for tipric todays 7s need to be strong over the ball, tips gets moved too easily, when have you seen tips do a dominant tackle, he holds on but the second tackler usually puts them to ground. Jenkins is a modern day seven has captained a side that has beaten the ABs at under 20, so as you say, one for the future.
With Faletau and Jenkins in the BR there would be room for shingle imo,. but Navidi has I think made part of the BR his. he has improved his upper body strength 10 fold and has made him all the better.

Navidi has really come of age these last rtwelve months, As for tipric todays 7s need to be strong over the ball, tips gets moved too easily, when have you seen tips do a dominant tackle, he holds on but the second tackler usually puts them to ground. Jenkins is a modern day seven has captained a side that has beaten the ABs at under 20, so as you say, one for the future.
With Faletau and Jenkins in the BR there would be room for shingle imo,. but Navidi has I think made part of the BR his. he has improved his upper body strength 10 fold and has made him all the better.

To be fair Navidi has been good enough for 3/4 years but he was a 7 that had Warburton ahead of him at club level and before that Martyn Williams. At national level had those 2 and Tips ahead of him plus others. It just a case of taking the chance as its lands. Every top player needed a break. Ellis Jenkins has been in the same boat really with Warburton and Navidi so has taken maybe 2 years longer to break through at club level as a result.

For all the hate on Peter O'Mahony he was awarded the Irish player of tournament boyed by all players and staff. Won it be a large amount too.

This welsh side is a serious world cup contender now, with 14 wins on the trot and massive confidence and serious quality in most positions. But will Gats sacrifice their shot at the world record winning run of 18 by giving a second string a chance in the summer friendlies with England and ireland to develop that depth for the world cup? I can see Gats going for something like

15 halfpenny (needs some games)
14 steff evans (ball of energy try scoring machine)
13 tyler morgan (classy and back from injury)
12 scott williams (beast and quick too)
11 josh adams (let him build more experience)
10 patchell (by far the most talented 10 in wales give the man a fair go at 10, we need a 3rd fly half)
9 tom williams (unless they can do a deal with rhys webb?)
8 faletau (should be available by august)
7 ellis jenkins fingers crossed for his return too
6 shingler due back any time hes in training already
5 seb davies the next great hope ...all 18 stones of him
4 jake ball...need an enforcer when resting sir AWJ
3 samson lee. huge scrummager needs a run of games
2 ryan elias scarelts back hooker, already one heck of a player
1 nicky smith. mobile and strong scrummager
reps
gareth davies, jarod evans (classy blues fly half) cory allen (I really rate him at 13 or even wing) , dan lydiate, cory hill, dillon lewis, dee, wyn jones (cracking loose head)

And what of Gatland and his achievments with Wales (and the Lions)? Its not that long ago that he was getting shanked in forums like this one for a whole series of reasons - and remember not 2 yrs ago when he was getting most stick, he'd done 2 GSs by then. How times change. Now he's getting the accolades he deserves it seems, in the media at least. Be some time before his records are broken I think.
and the lions tour. to come to nz as the underdog and then to play all the superFranchises and draw with the ABs was awesome. bretahed life back into the lions tour whilst handing nz a good portion of humble pie.
twas epic

and the lions tour. to come to nz as the underdog and then to play all the superFranchises and draw with the ABs was awesome. bretahed life back into the lions tour whilst handing nz a good portion of humble pie.
twas epic

Where does he stand in NZ, in terms of his chances to replace Hansen?

Love Southern Hemisphere rugby as one may, what a wonderful Six Nations. A game like Wales v England was plain scary for the pressure and physicality.
Wales are a number 9 away from being complete.
There has been a journalistic opinion in NZ that this is the weakest AB side since 2005. To have a chance in October, we need luck with the good health of key players, on field interpretations, and one, any, someone please, who can kick a goal every now and then.
Looking across the various sites, there seems to be zero love for SA as potential winners of the World Cup. Watch out!
A controversial view on Ireland's performance in the 6N. That is, that they entered the competition, perhaps, looking better than they actually are because the success against NZ came about through some very sympathetic officiating.
The hype and expectation on the team - not its fault - was based on a false premise.

Love Southern Hemisphere rugby as one may, what a wonderful Six Nations. A game like Wales v England was plain scary for the pressure and physicality.
Wales are a number 9 away from being complete.
There has been a journalistic opinion in NZ that this is the weakest AB side since 2005. To have a chance in October, we need luck with the good health of key players, on field interpretations, and one, any, someone please, who can kick a goal every now and then.
Looking across the various sites, there seems to be zero love for SA as potential winners of the World Cup. Watch out!
A controversial view on Ireland's performance in the 6N. That is, that they entered the competition, perhaps, looking better than they actually are because the success against NZ came about through some very sympathetic officiating.
The hype and expectation on the team - not its fault - was based on a false premise.
Controversial and retarded aren't synonyms.

Where does he stand in NZ, in terms of his chances to replace Hansen?
not well unfortunately. the nz media hate him and to the few people i've spoken to they reckon he was disrespectful to NZ too many times. which is bs. gatlands was simply sparring and giving it back.
those ppl need to get the fk over it.
imho gatlands a viable option and should be considered with those others that will apply. love to see him in the ABs environment. schmidt head coach and gatland as an assistent. of couorse i'm dreaming as its never going to happen.

not well unfortunately. the nz media hate him and to the few people i've spoken to they reckon he was disrespectful to NZ too many times. which is bs. gatlands was simply sparring and giving it back.
those ppl need to get the fk over it.
imho gatlands a viable option and should be considered with those others that will apply. love to see him in the ABs environment. schmidt head coach and gatland as an assistent. of couorse i'm dreaming as its never going to happen.

Obviously a bit biased but I think a Gatland-Robertson (Head coach - Assistant) would be the ultimate set up.

I genuinely don't think Schmidt will coach professionally again after this world cup.

Yesterday he said "I don't know how Warren has coached internationally for 12 years, 6 has nearly killed me." In the same breath he was determined for the world cup but I think he's ready to give it in after.

Interesting article in WOL where Shaun Edwards seems to intimate that he would've been open to staying on with Wales post World Cup but "Pivac wants to go in a different direction". Maybe Pivac feels that Edwards defence would not blend with Wellies attack... but that is an almighty call to make after a slam built on D.

Having watched a lot of Scarlets over the last 3 or 4 years, defence is definitely not their strongest attribute... particularly this year (mitigated somewhat by their injury ravaged squad). I really hope that he doesn't appoint Hayward as our D coach... it's not say I don't rate him at all but I'm not sure he is up to the task of coaching defence at the highest level of the game. If he does get the role though... I would be extremely happy for him to prove me wrong though.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=12213471
Interesting article in WOL where Shaun Edwards seems to intimate that he would've been open to staying on with Wales post World Cup but "Pivac wants to go in a different direction". Maybe Pivac feels that Edwards defence would not blend with Wellies attack... but that is an almighty call to make after a slam built on D.

Having watched a lot of Scarlets over the last 3 or 4 years, defence is definitely not their strongest attribute... particularly this year (mitigated somewhat by their injury ravaged squad). I really hope that he doesn't appoint Hayward as our D coach... it's not say I don't rate him at all but I'm not sure he is up to the task of coaching defence at the highest level of the game. If he does get the role though... I would be extremely happy for him to prove me wrong though.
crikey i hope thats not true? its madness to turn down the best defence coach on the planet and an honorary welshman too

Latest posts