• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2019 Six Nations] Ireland vs England (02/02/2019)

Elliot Daly vs Robbie Henshaw
Jonny May vs Keith Earls
Henry Slade vs Garry Ringrose
Manu Tuiagi vs Bundee Aki
Jack Nowell vs Jacob Stockdale
Owen Farrell vs Johnathan Sexton
Ben Youngs vs Conor Murray

Mako Vunipola vs Cian Healy
Jamie George vs Rory Best
Kyle Sinckler vs Tadhg Furlong
Maro Itoje vs Devin Toner
George Kruis vs James Ryan
Mark Wilson vs Peter O'Mahony
Tom Curry vs John Van Der Flier
Billy Vunipola vs CJ Stander

When I compare across the teams, I see very few Englishmen I'd select in my composite team... A few tight calls, but can't see one where I'd definitely pick white over green. If Big BV had played a bit more, I'd likely take him , but other than that.
Yeah that worked then

Another thing today confirms for me 100% is just how hard it is for teams to play with a constant target on your back - when you're being described as the best. For me if you look at Englands last handful of games we are always playing our best AGAINST the best opposition - New Zealand and Ireland - and conversely when we went into last six nations to play Scotland on the back of the winning streak we looked so half arsed, as if we just needed to turn up to win. It's why New Zealand are so remarkable over the years, because every team who they face sees them as the potentially biggest trophy of their career if they can win. It is extremely hard for a side to get this up for every game and treat it like a cup final. NZ still win the overwhelming majority of games despite this. For Ireland, who have most of the puzzle pieces in place for big success this year, they need to be comfortable wearing that target on their backs. Being honest, Ireland only truly emerged from England's shadow last six nations despite always being up there, so this tournament is their first in the genuine spotlight - it'll be fascinating to see how they cope for the rest of the tournament.

That's not to say Ireland bottled anything today, I don't think that's the case. But sometimes when the opponent is that up for it and are that precise in everything they do, there is very little you can do. New Zealand, England and now Ireland have all found this out over the last 18 months.

I'm glad curry's yellow wasn't costly, it was a 50/50 I have see worse not result in a yellow hopefully it doesn't dent his confidence certainly didn't seem to when he came off he's defiantly one to watch out for, if only he moved to a half descent club, he'd be golden.

I just think we were more aggressive! Like teams have been to England in the past. Curry made a difference despite the gameplan. His natural game is to be a nuiseance at the breakdown and he slowed so much Irish ball down that it helped our defence get their shape to defend at speed.

Daly is a great playmaker from 15 but was also decent as a defensive 15 and Ireland in Dublin is as hard as it gets for a fullback

Wilson was great, no highlights but was always near the tackler and his work rate was so much more than Hack/Robshaw could offer.

Youngs. WTF? Absolute gold today, on his best game as was Farrell.

Slade can give you the best ofrthe worst of his game but he fully deserves a longer run at 13 especially with Manu outside him. Who the fudge is Ringrose ;) (kidding)

May is class. Nowell just a pain for opponents.

As a team we were, for once, fantastically organised. Its rare for an England team to play so well without a standout player. Just need to make sure we keep it up :)

I'm glad curry's yellow wasn't costly, it was a 50/50 I have see worse not result in a yellow hopefully it doesn't dent his confidence certainly didn't seem to when he came off he's defiantly one to watch out for, if only he moved to a half descent club, he'd be golden.

Curry's yellow was 100% BULLSHIT. Wasn't even a penalty. Glad it wasn't costly. #still want Underhill

Don't get all the doom and gloom either.

The pack is spot on and close to our best. We have a physical pack, plenty of carrying options now and on the bench. The backrow is more balanced than it has been in years and it's only Underhill at 6 who could make it stronger. We will be much better at the breakdown than we have been.

The backs are fine, I'd pick Ford - Farrell - Tuilagi, and Brown at FB (just for the Irish game really) but I'm not overly concerned. Daly might not of been great in the Autumn but he is still class.

Also, its not as if you line up ALWAYS 10-12-13-14 and throw the ball down the line, I've no doubt Slade will pop up at 12, and 10 depending on the phase of play and who's been doing the carrying. Daly will join the line and the wingers will drop. Tuilagi is going to be used as much as a dummy runner as he is a carrier which should open up more space for Slade to set free the wider players. Hopefully Ford comes on for Slade to really use Tuilagi and the space that would give the rest of our backs.

I'm optimistic even if it's not the team I would pick but I can see the sense in it, which isn't always the case with EJ's selections.

TBF this guy got it bang on :)

England, in recent times, have been so damn fast out of the blocks!

Vs. Ireland: 1:30
Vs New Zealand: 1:50
Vs Australia: 2:10
Vs Japan: Try 2:50

That's 4 of our last 5 games scoring a try in less than 200 seconds. I feel like we managed it in the 2018 6N as well... Wales?

Haven't read any of this thread so forgive me if I'm repeating anything.

The best thing about the game from my perspective is I had a great view of the Dublin skyline from my seat up in the nosebleeds in the South Stand.

England were brilliant. They suffocated Ireland. Their kicking game was sensational and defense was smothering. Had the game finished 13-32, I'd have had no complaints. England must stick with Owen Farrell at 10. If they continue that level of performance, they'll win a Grand Slam at a canter.

For Ireland, perhaps it's a kick up the ass they needed. I'd be wary about knee jerk reactions but if Ireland want to truly have a 31 man squad heading into the World Cup capable of all fitting into a starting team seemlessly, they may need to make tough decisions. Should Sean Cronin be ahead of Rory Best for example? Conor Murray on form is irreplaceable but on his current form, does he need to be taken down a notch and ride the pine for a game or two?

I'm sure the Robbie Henshaw experiment will be brought up. I don't think it was a failure by any stretch, he played quite well. I would put him back into midfield though because the Bundee Aki and Garry Ringrose partnership didn't work at all. A lot of that is due to brilliant English defence it must be said.

No gloating Ireland where just poor fro. 1 to 15 England walked over a poor team display.
Next 2 games make or break both teams.
I'm writing nowt into a good win for England.
Ireland write off a poor day at office .
1 needs to play same again next week.
1 needs to play 100% better.
As most predicted an open 6 nations.

Haven't read any of this thread so forgive me if I'm repeating anything.

The best thing about the game from my perspective is I had a great view of the Dublin skyline from my seat up in the nosebleeds in the South Stand.

England were brilliant. They suffocated Ireland. Their kicking game was sensational and defense was smothering. Had the game finished 13-32, I'd have had no complaints. England must stick with Owen Farrell at 10. If they continue that level of performance, they'll win a Grand Slam at a canter.

For Ireland, perhaps it's a kick up the ass they needed. I'd be wary about knee jerk reactions but if Ireland want to truly have a 31 man squad heading into the World Cup capable of all fitting into a starting team seemlessly, they may need to make tough decisions. Should Sean Cronin be ahead of Rory Best for example? Conor Murray on form is irreplaceable but on his current form, does he need to be taken down a notch and ride the pine for a game or two?

I'm sure the Robbie Henshaw experiment will be brought up. I don't think it was a failure by any stretch, he played quite well. I would put him back into midfield though because the Bundee Aki and Garry Ringrose partnership didn't work at all. A lot of that is due to brilliant English defence it must be said.

Is Murray a good replacement thought? He isn't really the the 9 to chase a game. Best is a more obvious replacement

Sorry if this has been said already. Just got back to hotel room before going out again. Biggest suprise for me was Sinckler v Furlong. Ihad tbet down as penalty points for Ire. all afternoon. Even had a tenner on yellow for young Kyle. Well impressed with our props today. Honestly thought they'd get monstered in the scrum.

Yeah that worked then

Totally taught a lesson today - we are not good enough to beat teams if we don't bring more energy than them.

England took energy, intensity, great defence, precise kick-chase and your back three displayed a hitherto unseen (aside from Nowell) solidity under the high ball.

edit: I dunno if I'd still change much about my composite team. Whether that is England producing a one-off game of ultra-high intensity or something they can do consistently remains to be seen.

Curry's yellow was 100% BULLSHIT. Wasn't even a penalty. Glad it wasn't costly. #still want Underhill

Agreed, it was 100% bullshit.

Itoje on the other hand would have seen yellow if I were the referee.

Maybe not, but Ireland should never really be chasing a game it the gameplan is being well executed

I'm not irish, but that seems a poor plan, .especially aginstnte All Blacks or Australia or Scotland. Any attacking based side rea;lly.

Totally taught a lesson today - we are not good enough to beat teams if we don't bring more energy than them.

England took energy, intensity, great defence, precise kick-chase and your back three displayed a hitherto unseen (aside from Nowell) solidity under the high ball.

edit: I dunno if I'd still change much about my composite team. Whether that is England producing a one-off game of ultra-high intensity or something they can do consistently remains to be seen.
What it shows is players at this level are all roughly the same but how they are structured as a team and how well they are coached makes a small but significant difference. Today was Eddies day but before its been Joe's day. The teams are almost equal it just depends on who has the right mentally and game plan on the day

I hope Toner and Ringrose are alright. With Beirne and Henderson already out we're short on locks. Roux isn't good enough. Dillane starting a Six Nations game might give him a boost but neither would exactly fill you with confidence and this is a must win now. Ringrose was our best player today.

Need SOB in next week. Pom and Vdf were too lightweight against a team like England but you can't fix that now. They should still work against Scotland though. For all the talk O'Brien is still our best backrow.

Latest posts