• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2019 Rugby Championship] Round 1: South Africa v Australia (20/07/2019)

Yes. They might win by that or more but they've increased the chance of losing.

You can be sure

Experimenting devalues the tournament. It sends out a bad signal that the tournament is just a warm up contest.

NZ are the only team who have earned the right to heavily rotate their squad. SA and Argentina hasn't won the competition for a long time so it looks bad when they do it.

Nobody cares about a 3-match RC in a world cup year. Look at the history. Teams use this tournament in WC years to get their teams ready for the World Cup.

Experimenting devalues the tournament. It sends out a bad signal that the tournament is just a warm up contest.

NZ are the only team who have earned the right to heavily rotate their squad. SA and Argentina hasn't won the competition for a long time so it looks bad when they do it.
Its a disrespectful team to put out against Australia. Its also disrespectful and damaging to the tournament.

Maybe if the Irish used out of the box lineups or as you would call it "devalued" lineups to grow depth in a world cup year then you guys might have made it past a world cup quarter final. So Irish people are not really the best source for advice when it comes to pre world cup preparation tactics.

Besides all the teams in the RC experiment to a degree in a world cup year, maybe its disrespectful to say that this team is disrespectful to the Aussies as it assumes these players are not of the standard required to play for the Springboks. Also the coaching staff cares deeply about winning the RC that's the main point in splitting the teams as it is seen as the current best strategy by Erasmus to defeat the All Blacks and Wallabies instead of just getting the one victory.

So personally I absolutely love what has transpired with the two squads because that's basically the only reason we will get to see some of the Foreign based players that we would otherwise not have been able to see play, Francois Steyn being in the squad brings back all the nostalgia from the 2007 world cup win as the only surviving member of that squad.

Can't wait for this today, the teams have had a good few tight contests the last couple of years and there are interesting sub-plots for both nations. How will Oz respond to their anus horribilis and for the Boks who showed genuine promise last year, can they continue their upsurge?

I'm thinking the Boks by 8.

The count down is on, the bans don't matter and we're ready! Let's get set to... see Australia lose by 50pts?

Maybe if the Irish used out of the box lineups or as you would call it "devalued" lineups to grow depth in a world cup year then you guys might have made it past a world cup quarter final. So Irish people are not really the best source for advice when it comes to pre world cup preparation tactics.

Besides all the teams in the RC experiment to a degree in a world cup year, maybe its disrespectful to say that this team is disrespectful to the Aussies as it assumes these players are not of the standard required to play for the Springboks. Also the coaching staff cares deeply about winning the RC that's the main point in splitting the teams as it is seen as the current best strategy by Erasmus to defeat the All Blacks and Wallabies instead of just getting the one victory.

So personally I absolutely love what has transpired with the two squads because that's basically the only reason we will get to see some of the Foreign based players that we would otherwise not have been able to see play, Francois Steyn being in the squad brings back all the nostalgia from the 2007 world cup win as the only surviving member of that squad.

Why criticise all Irish people's opinion due to one poster's opinion? And equate your nation's performance with your ability to have an opinion?

It's blunt attack like this that has lead to SA only scoring 3 points in their last game against Ireland. ;)

Why criticise all Irish people's opinion due to one poster's opinion? And equate your nation's performance with your ability to have an opinion?

It's blunt attack like this that has lead to SA only scoring 3 points in their last game against Ireland. ;)
I apologise for my generalisation of all Irish.

However, I do have a feeling that after how the Irish destroyed us in the last game in Dublin they do not fear or rate us at all especially for the likely showdown in the WC QF. It has now become almost a certainty that we will lose to NZ in the first group game purely based on World Rugby showing us the finger and appointing the French ref Garces to ref the game.

I'm too excited to see some serious international test level rugby to worry about all this other stuff... though I have to say I share some people's pessimism about the Wallabies, they seem like a real mess right now. Boks by 15 or more, NZ by 3 this afternoon. :)

8th man is such a **** name for the position.

Cultural differences and all... I used to have a South African business partner (lovely fella) who always referred to the position as 8th man.

Conversely, every time I used 'outside-half' in reference to a 10 it would confuse the **** out of him.

Really enjoyed seeing the Bok winger (Nkosi u I think?) concentrating so hard on blatantly blocking Hodge that he forgot to watch the ball and Hodge just easily caught it...

Really enjoyed seeing the Bok winger (Nkosi u I think?) concentrating so hard on blatantly blocking Hodge that he forgot to watch the ball and Hodge just easily caught it...

Yeah 14 right . . . he's had a pretty bad start under the high ball and kick coverage in general

Springboks really need to stop looking to kick right away . . . It's their entire backljne

Cultural differences and all... I used to have a South African business partner (lovely fella) who always referred to the position as 8th man.

Conversely, every time I used 'outside-half' in reference to a 10 it would confuse the **** out of him.
My rugby club has so many Kiwis I don't bother explaining the translations between 1st 5/fly-half; 2nd 5/inside centre; centre/outside centre. For years I've just got in the habit of talking in numbers, 10 12 and 13

Latest posts