• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 Super Rugby] Round 5: Stormers vs. Blues (17/03/2018)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
2hUozcT.jpg

BFsGRzk.png
Versus%20Currie%20Cup.png
rBDTSON.jpg

Venue: DHL Newlands
Time: 15:05 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Unfortunately with the competition that little bit harder, and us looking that little bit weaker this year I think we'll struggle to win this one, especially looking at the Lions last week and us travelling back from NZ.

I might have to accept that it just might not be our year, but I'm not too bleak about it, at least their are some good signs that there is life at our union. Our props are great, we have some good youngsters coming through at flank and Willemse looking very sharp, we are perhaps a few years and perhaps a change of coach away from being ***le contenders.

Still enjoying watching us for the most part.

Unfortunately with the competition that little bit harder, and us looking that little bit weaker this year I think we'll struggle to win this one, especially looking at the Lions last week and us travelling back from NZ.

I might have to accept that it just might not be our year, but I'm not too bleak about it, at least their are some good signs that there is life at our union. Our props are great, we have some good youngsters coming through at flank and Willemse looking very sharp, we are perhaps a few years and perhaps a change of coach away from being ***le contenders.

Still enjoying watching us for the most part.
I have confidence in Fleck. He is part of the new breed of coaches at most of the SA franchises. I hope all the sa franchise coaches stay for something like the next four years and create a stable group of coaches that works with our national structures. The season is still long and the Stormers are basically done with touring. They can still make it a very good season.

To be fair I have far less hatred of him than most Stormers supporters it feels like.

I like that he is willing to try new styles of play at least, he's trying something different and that does take balls.

That said the results haven't really been there. Still time to redeem the season though but it's running out, it's going to be a tough game to win this weekend (Blues have actually traveled less than us by a lot). and if we lose that's potentially 1/16 points in the last four. Hard to come back from that.

yeah you would almost expect the Blues to win this though it would be just like them to win a game they you would expect them to lose then lose a game you expect them to win :)
mostly because the stormers have come back from NZ, still think this is tough to pick. Even after the travel they will still have some relief from being in their home environment, they will also be desperate to get back on track. And well aware of the blues threat after last weeks result.

I don't know guys. The Stormers are a different beast at Newlands, and to be fair to them, they weren't that poor on tour either.

I would be inclined to give the Stormers the benefit of the doubt here... Pending the team selection.

This is a home game for Sonny Bill Williams and the Stormers...

The support in CPT for SBW is greater than that of the Stormers #truestory

This is a difficult one to call but I think the confidence the Blues got from the win last week might just be enough to get them over the line

Blues by 3

Yes Sonny Bill has great support in SA people are even making masks to look like him in the stands.
620x349

d5cfc78ab20140aba7821aa7ccc0afbc.jpg

00b5079da94e6cac25f89568321ae207
Screen-Shot-2018-03-09-at-19.02.54-300x170.png

Did it every occur to anyone with decision making capabilities that having both teams wearing blue was probably not the smartest idea?
Shady parts of the field don't help either.

Impressive 1h from the stormers btw.

Hey!

I am finally getting my Super Rugby viewing schedule down. Watched most of this game as well as most of Sharks v. Tahs and Jags v. Tahs in previous weeks. Games in NZ and Aus will be hard for me to watch.

Don't know what to think of this game really. Stormers have potential for sure. I thought they were great at the physical aspects of the game and many of the backs have experience at the very least. But still, I was not really impressed by them here. It's like they are just poorly organized.

Why aren't the Blues better? So many class players.

Glad the Stormers got the win, but both teams are still the underperformers of their respective countries.

Blues looked like they were just waiting for something to happen in first half, not trying to go and make it happen. Then it was a mile to late! Pretty ordinary, but also at same time give Stormers credit, they tore into the game and fully deserved win.

Blues looked like they were just waiting for something to happen in first half, not trying to go and make it happen. Then it was a mile to late! Pretty ordinary, but also at same time give Stormers credit, they tore into the game and fully deserved win.

Pretty ordinary is NOT the correct word to describe the Blues performance. They played terribly. Tana Umaga should take a big blame for results for fielding the some of the players like Bryn Gatland. He definitely did not play well last week and in fact don't even qualified to be sitting on the sub bench. GOSH he was in starting 15....

Last edited:
Pretty chuffed by this Stormers performance, must say a much weaker Blues side turned out on the day.
JJ Engelbrecht is a brilliant wing but a sub standard no 13, hope Flekkie saw that and will stick with him on the wing.
If we can get PSdT to play like this at lock and bring in Cobus Wiese on flank this will be a beast of a forward unit.

Young Damian Willemse looks the real deal at 10, see a bright future for him
See how good the big centre pair performs when you have some class on the inside

Latest posts