• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 Super Rugby] Round 2: Sunwolves vs. Brumbies (24/02/2018)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
2hUozcT.jpg

1pm3eTL.jpg
Versus%20Currie%20Cup.png
1ZOgfhx.png

Venue: Prince Chichibu Memorial Stadium
Time: 06:15 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Sunwolves 23.
(Full squad for context)

They're starting Hosea Saumaki - the wing who has never played anything other than Top League, and on the bench is lock James Moore - with only Top League and NRC experience.
[EDIT: Hosea Saumaki played rugby 7s for Tonga. That explains a lot!]

Also the Japanese 3rd choice scrum half Yutaka Nagare is starting - he was in the Wolves' squad all last season but never got a run - and there are 5 other Japanese internationals in there getting their SR debut.

They're playing a fullback at 10 (Robbie Robinson), and a centre at 15 (Jason Emery). At least Hayden Parker (2nd choice fly half) is on the bench. All 3 are ex Highlanders.

No Matsushima - not even Noguchi, no Tamura, no Tatekawa, no Michael Leitch. Tanaka is on the bench. None of their 3 experienced wings are there...
Lappies Labuschagne is the starting 7 though, so at least that's something.

The pack is looking strong though. The same front row Japan would start, and experienced mercenaries in the 2nd row. The Georgian is on the bench too.

Last edited:
Sunwolves 23.

They're starting Hosea Saumaki - the wing who has never played anything other than Top League, and on the bench is lock James Moore - with only Top League and NRC experience.

Also the Japanese 3rd choice scrum half Yutaka Nagare is starting - he was in the Wolves' squad all last season but never got a run - and there are 5 other Japanese internationals in there getting their SR debut.

They're playing a fullback at 10 (Robbie Robinson), and a centre at 15 (Jason Emery). At least Hayden Parker (2nd choice fly half) is on the bench. All 3 are ex Highlanders.

No Matsushima - not even Noguchi, no Tamura, no Tatekawa, no Michael Leitch. Tanaka is on the bench. None of their 3 experienced wings are there...

Lappies Labuschagne is starting though, so at least that's something.
No Yamada or Kenki Fukuoko either, I honestly don't understand the Sunwolves, is it politics? Do they even take this competition seriously?
Surely you target the home Aussie games as potential "wins".

I don't think Joseph plans on ever letting the ball get wider than the 9.

But you do get the sense that competitiveness in SR is being sacrificed at the altar of building depth for the Blossoms... Unless it's just player management mind games for the opener and then back to normal next week.

I don't think Joseph plans on ever letting the ball get wider than the 9.

But you do get the sense that competitiveness in SR is being sacrificed at the altar of building depth for the Blossoms... Unless it's just player management mind games for the opener and then back to normal next week.
Maybe but Emery at least just arrived, and is Robinson even eligible?
To be fair I heard Nagare is highly rated and may start, but the missing Japanese internationals makes no sense, I honestly think there is some behind the scenes policy that stops some top 14 players being selected, but if that's the case it needs to end. We don't want Super Rugby teams who can't actually play in Super Rugby.

Nah a good chunk of that 23 isn't Japanese qualified, but the ones that are, are low ranking ones. (Except for the front row).

New mercenary signings in the 23 (with past SR experience but not Japanese qualified - AFAIK at least), are the 4 ex-Highlanders (Craig Millar is on the bench) and then the 2 South Africans - Lappies Labuschagne and Grant Hattingh. Notably absent - Ruan Smith.

Here's a stat - outside of the front row starters, 3/4 of this team are getting their 1st ever Sunwolves cap. This is going to be a baptism by fire...

Last edited:
No Yamada or Kenki Fukuoko either, I honestly don't understand the Sunwolves, is it politics? Do they even take this competition seriously?
Surely you target the home Aussie games as potential "wins".
Brums wiped them off the park last year though. I'd figure they'd feel they have a better shot at beating the Blues again than the Brumbies.

Feeling pretty confident this is a bonus point win. Wouldn't be surprised if they get a bonus point just amongst the forward pack alone.

Brums wiped them off the park last year though. I'd figure they'd feel they have a better shot at beating the Blues again than the Brumbies.

Feeling pretty confident this is a bonus point win. Wouldn't be surprised if they get a bonus point just amongst the forward pack alone.
No agreed they have very little chance, and I do think the Brumbies will smash them, but surely play your best team? You have to at least try to win games right?

Edit: I've since found out it's a mixture of injuries and players off form:
https://english.kyodonews.net/news/...rises-with-super-rugby-opener-selections.html

All a bit underwhelming really, Sunwolves wise. Particularly Tatekawa and Yamada being overlooked despite being fit.

I get the need for some non-Japanese forwards but the Japanese backs have proven quality and desperately need as much exposure at this level as possible when fit. Obviously I'll eat my words if the Sunwolves win.

Didn't know they'd be playing a game at Hong Kong. It'll be interesting to see if that draws a crowd.

Singapore again and Hong Kong? Dammit I really got my hopes up that the Wolves were being given equal hosting rights this year.

Only 3 of the omissions are injuries. He says "these are the players who have been training the best and mentally are in the best frame of mind"... Which to me sounds like he isn't claiming these are the best 23 available, just that he's sticking it to the players who have an attitude he doesn't like. I.e. player management mind games & he's treating this game like a pre-season fixture.

Joseph is good at talking up his team... and I'll buy that they'll score some tries. I can see real issues co-ordinating defense though with such a mixed up team and no pre-season games.
Brumbies BP win 41-20.

What's the Brumbies' lineup looking like?

Last edited:
Singapore again and Hong Kong? Dammit I really got my hopes up that the Wolves were being given equal hosting rights this year.

Only 3 of the omissions are injuries. He says "these are the players who have been training the best and mentally are in the best frame of mind"... Which to me sounds like he isn't claiming these are the best 23 available, just that he's sticking it to the players who have an attitude he doesn't like. I.e. player management mind games & he's treating this game like a pre-season fixture.

Joseph is good at talking up his team... and I'll buy that they'll score some tries. I can see real issues co-ordinating defense though with such a mixed up team and no pre-season games.
Brumbies BP win 41-20.

What's the Brumbies' lineup looking like?
Should be:

1. Ben Alexander (Scott Sio's sitting out with an early ****le, but if he had to he could have played... they have the depth though)
2. Josh Mann-Rea
3. Alan Alaalatoa
4. Sam Carter
5. Richie Arnold (I suspect they're trying to introduce him to the system early in a lighter game)
6. Rob Valetini
7. Tom Cusack (was great in NRC and Pocock out early few weeks)
8. Isi Naisarani

9. Joe Powell
10. Christian Leali'ifano (he's put the hard yards in and deprived himself of the off-season so the work at Ulster pays off and makes him the man to beat at the 10 over Hawera)
11. Chance Peni
12. Kyle Godwin
13. Tevita Kuridrani
14. Henry Speight
15. Tom Banks

16. Robbie Abel
17. Faalelei Sione
18. Leslie Leulua'iali'i-Makin
19. Rory Arnold
20. Lachlan McCaffrey
21. Matt Lucas
22. Wharenui Hawera
23. Lausii Taliauli

So... mostly as you'd expect. Blake Enever misses out as they try to fit 6 locks into 3 jerseys and integrate new guys.

I had the score down as 44-10 before I heard of the key Sunwolves omissions (with Brumbies getting 6 tries, 3 from the lineout and another for Isi making 4 tries amongst the forwards). Now I'm thinking somewhere between 70 and 80... and trying hard to hold the Sunwolves tryless.

Fair to say the Brumbies have the best pack in Oz? That will probably really limit the Sunwolves opportunities, although with so many relative unknowns in the Sunwolves, who can say. All things considered I'd say

Brumbies by 15

Certainly the deepest, but I would say the best.

That said, I'm probably unable to keep my own bias out of it. :p

If the backs can keep healthy then I'm feeling pretty confident they'll take the Australian conference despite what others are saying about the Tahs and Rebels. They could possibly cover an injury (singular) to an outside back or ONE of Hawera/Leali'ifano/Godwin if they hit a soft patch in the fixtures... but short of some great leaps in development the depth amongst the backs is the greatest concern. That said, backs can suddenly "get it" quickly as if a switch has been flipped... look at Matt Toomua, I used to wince when he'd come on from the mistakes and opportunities he got force fed, then he turned a corner and got comfortable and his defense went from rock solid to devastating as he figured out how to use that as an impact weapon at Super rugby and international level.

So I haven't SEEN kids like Jordan Jackson-Hope and the like show that yet... but stranger things happen.

First Blood!

Trying to keep the Sunwolves scoreless didn't last 10 minutes.

Injury - Sunwolves bringing a real Fly Half onto the field. (Hayden Parker). One ex-Highlander on for another.

Things were humming along nicely with Parker at 10 - bit disappointed to see Robinson returning to replace him.

Agreed. The other Wolves are all doing great, Robinson not so much. Sub him off early and we can win this game!

EDIT: and they did! Hayden Parker came on after half time.

Last edited:
I've been gone for a long while, lost my rugby coverage and had no reliable means to watch streaming games. Welp, I'm in a new house, with a new computer, and just discovered I get the streaming matches on ESPN3! This is the first Super Rugby match I've been able to watch live in about two years! (Or has it been three....?) Have a few new laws to catch up on, and a lot of new players, but I am thrilled! :)

Tanaka comes on, and the Georgian to the rescue. There's everything still in this game.

So the Sunwolves get the bonus point. The Sunwolves are not quite there without their stars, and the Brumbies gave away a fair few penalties and missed several kicks.

But they did enough to shut us all up with our accusations that they weren't taking this game seriously!

Last edited:

Latest posts