• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 Super Rugby] Round 2: Highlanders vs. Blues (23/02/2018)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
2hUozcT.jpg

910mtWQ.jpg
Versus%20Currie%20Cup.png
rBDTSON.jpg

Venue: Forsyth Barr Stadium
Time: 08:35 CAT (SA, GMT+2)
Teams

Highlanders: 15 Ben Smith (co-captain), 14 Waisake Naholo, 13 Rob Thompson, 12 Tei Walden, 11 Tevita Li, 10 Lima Sopoaga, 9 Aaron Smith, 8 Luke Whitelock, 7 Dillon Hunt, 6 Liam Squire, 5 Tom Franklin, 4 Jackson Hemopo, 3 Siate Tokolahi, 2 Ash Dixon (co-captain), 1 Daniel Lienert-Brown

Substitutes: 16 Liam Coltman, 17 Aki Seiuli, 18 Tyrel Lomax, 19 Dan Pryor, 20 Elliot Dixon, 21 Kayne Hammington, 22 Fletcher Smith, 23 Matt Faddes

Blues: 15 Michael Collins, 14 Matt Duffie, 13 George Moala, 12 Sonny Bill Williams, 11 Rieko Ioane, 10 Bryn Gatland, 9 Augustine Pulu (captain), 8 Akira Ioane, 7 Murphy Taramai, 6 Glenn Preston, 5 Scott Scrafton, 4 Gerard Cowley-Tuioti, 3 Ofa Tu'ungafasi, 2 James Parsons, 1 Alex Hodgman

Substitutes: 16 Leni Apisai, 17 Pauliasi Manu, 18 Michael Tamoaieta, 19 Patrick Tuipulotu, 20 Sione Havili/Antonio Kiri Kiri, 21 Jonathan Ruru, 22 Daniel Kirkpatrick, 23 Melani Nanai

Last edited:
Lot's of hype around the Blues it seems but have to little local knowledge to know whether it is hype or hope?
Care to fill us in please?

The Highlanders are an excellent team. Going away to play them is a tough game.
If the Blues are going to climb off the bottom rung of the NZ Conference then they have to start winning games like this fixture.
It's not enough to get within 7 points, they have to win them and back it up with a strong showing at home games.

The Blues always get their hopes up like this though. I'll believe it when I see it.

Looking at the line up I wouldn't have too much hope for the Blues:
  1. Alex Hodgman, 2. James Parsons, 3. Ofa Tuungafasi, 4. Gerard Cowley-Tuioti, 5. Scott Scrafton, 6. Glenn Preston, 7. Murphy Taramai, 8. Akira Ioane; 9. Augustine Pulu ©, 10. Bryn Gatland, 11. Rieko Ioane, 12. Sonny Bill Williams, 13. George Moala, 14. Matt Duffie,15. Michael Collins.
Backline is heat but the loosies look thin, can't help but think that Tana is a little out of his depth, his selection always seems skewed.

I expect the Blues to win this one away from home and to make a statement of intent in the NZ conference.

Jeezus, what a cracking match. I can't believe it hasn't been discussed.

The lead changed eight times.... Highlanders win 41-34

What a game. Free flowing with so many lead changes.

Blues looking very good if the can get healthy they'll be a decent team this year. Highlanders had the deeper bench in this one which really made a difference.

That yellow although deserved (under the laws) really sunk them otherwise I think they could have definitely won that game.

Up the Landers!

Lot's of hype around the Blues it seems but have to little local knowledge to know whether it is hype or hope?
Care to fill us in please?
Post this game I'd be optimistic for them Health will be the biggest factor if they can get to the playoffs. Wouldn't think they'd be really contending for the ***le or anything but they seem to have the attacking ability to open up any team.

Very entertaining game to watch. If this is the notm we re in for an amazing season.

Great game, they didn't seem rusty at all like the Saffa's did.

Just goes to show you in NZ skills are focused on at school level, and kept sharp till top level
We are just 3 decades behind and now only waking up (at top level)
We have the South African natural ability and thousands of players to choose from
Hopefully they will come together in our lifetime still

I expect the Blues to win this one away from home and to make a statement of intent in the NZ conference.

Strange thing to 'expect' since the Blues haven't beaten an NZ team away from home since 2012, or haven't won vs an NZ team since 2016.

The days when I see a strong Blues line up before the season and claim they will be good are over, I've been burned before. For like the last 8 years.
They also just suffer for being in a brutal conference but they are still under achievers, this year might still be different if they can pick up a few Kiwi scalps at home.

Mathematically though it seems one Kiwi franchise will always lose out. Technically it doesn't have to be the case anymore but you still suspect it's a tall order.

I don't know that they are underacheivers so much as they have had less talent than the other 4.

Could be alright this year though... a season under Bryn Gatland's belt (mark my words, I reckon that kid will wear an All Blacks jersey some day before it's all said and done) and a few other younger players getting more time to develop next to one another.

I don't know that they are underacheivers so much as they have had less talent than the other 4.

Could be alright this year though... a season under Bryn Gatland's belt (mark my words, I reckon that kid will wear an All Blacks jersey some day before it's all said and done) and a few other younger players getting more time to develop next to one another.
Have to disagree, pound for pound they have outrageous talent available, the Highlanders pack certainly doesn't have as many big names as they do (Tuipulotu, Kaino, Ioane, Tuungafasi), and their back line is literally star studded in every position other than 10.

Strange thing to 'expect' since the Blues haven't beaten an NZ team away from home since 2012, or haven't won vs an NZ team since 2016.
It was just my own prediction. Turned out to be false as they lost a very narrow game. But its my right to speculate isn't it? Or does predictions that does not align with the favourites offend you?
And yes i was aware that they have been one of the weakest NZ franchises over the last few years, But that does not mean anything. Let me remind you the Lions went an entire season without beating a team in Super rugby before they rebuilt and is now one of the strongest SA sides.

There will be many games this season where i will "expect/predict/believe" a underdog will take it and if you want to abuse the dislike system everytime i do that then be my guest.

Have to disagree, pound for pound they have outrageous talent available, the Highlanders pack certainly doesn't have as many big names as they do (Tuipulotu, Kaino, Ioane, Tuungafasi), and their back line is literally star studded in every position other than 10.

Do you look at the coaching or are some of the players overrated? Because I agree their supposed talent is outrageous, but if we look deeper, are these players we are rating really better than some of the other NZ franchise players? Personally, I'd rather L.Whitelock and L.Squire. over A.Ioane I would also pick Tom Franklin over P.Tuipolotu too. I think a lot of Blues players are overrated, George Moala being another one.

It was just my own prediction. Turned out to be false as they lost a very narrow game. But its my right to speculate isn't it? Or does predictions that does not align with the favourites offend you?
And yes i was aware that they have been one of the weakest NZ franchises over the last few years, But that does not mean anything. Let me remind you the Lions went an entire season without beating a team in Super rugby before they rebuilt and is now one of the strongest SA sides.

There will be many games this season where i will "expect/predict/believe" a underdog will take it and if you want to abuse the dislike system everytime i do that then be my guest.

Sorry to come across as rude, it's just a tiring hearing the same hype for the Blues season after season only for them to fail year after year, that's why I wouldn't 'expect' anything at this stage.

Latest posts