• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 Rugby Championship] Round 4: New Zealand v South Africa (15/09/2018)

Becaus
Why oh why did NZ not just kick a simple drop goal? Blueprint for how to beat NZ there
Because we didn't kick anything else where it should be kicked all night..... How would we suddenly pull an accurate droppy out of a hat?

Why oh why did NZ not just kick a simple drop goal? Blueprint for how to beat NZ there
Who are you trusting to take that kick?
Far more likely to score a try than a DG in that position imo

Class interview from Reid. Giving all the credit to SA defence and admitting they put them under pressure.

Think that loss will make the all blacks a lot better for world cup. They should realise they need Beauden not to kick. Costs them too much, Mckenzie or Jordie would be fa better and theyll then have accurate kickers for world cup as well as the same try scoring ability

FYI there is no secret blueprint for beating the all blacks, keep the pressure on for 80+ and take your chances when you get them.

Anyway,huge amount of ticker shown by the boks. Defended like demons, fantastic game.

Think that loss will make the all blacks a lot better for world cup. They should realise they need Beauden not to kick. Costs them too much, Mckenzie or Jordie would be fa better and theyll then have accurate kickers for world cup as well as the same try scoring ability
I just wonder whether Hansen has decided it'd knock too much confidence out of Barrett to take the tee off him. Sounds like a stupid little thing that shouldn't matter to you professional sportsman, but first fives are fragile beasts
It would've been the easy option to go to McKenzie when barret had missed three from five, but it would have been a show of no confidence in Barrett.
Plus, there's not really anyone else in the run on 15 that can do it, especially if jordy isn't part of that mix.

What an awesome. Game of the year so far for me. It will definitely be these 2 teams in the RWC final next year.

what a game luckily i woke up 4 am to see this. totally worth it.
great job BOkKE you beat the strongest combo in the world AB+home ad+nigel Owens. . this is so good for the game.
now let them stew in their own juices, until they come to arg and kick the sh*t out of us.
please kiwis don't say it was a b team. thanks!

Absolute jubilation! Really thought we were gonna lose it. Great game one of the best games in years. Nobody expected us to win. Never mind win we were expected to lose by far!

South Africa is getting drunk tonight! The Braai is already burning.

I'm an emotional wreck. Might comment tomorrow if I'm not dead from liver failure. Immense effort from the boys and NZ were poor, by their standards but we'll take it.

Did not expect to wake up and see that result. International rugby is alive and well by the sound of it!

It took Rassie about 5-6 games to get Munster going, and then they played to their potential for more or less his entire stay. Bodes well for the boks, I thought they were going to have to cut their losses and build for 2023.

What a game that was! Unbelievable defense by the Boks. The team took their opportunities when they presented themselves and managed to get the win with less than 30% possession and I think more than 200 tackles. I think PSDT really showed how much this means for all of us in SA. Looking forward to Loftus.

Nah. Them going for a try when they had the ball in front of the post and McK on the field was a very, very stupid decision. Just take the drop kick.

I was referring to the two missed conversions 4 easy points. Should have made it 31 points but for some inexplicable reason Barrett hurried his kick and hit the post. Then hit the post again for the second one at 34 points.

I think Hansen may be too stubborn, Barrett has already cost him games and, while he's still their best 10 option, it hasn't stopped Hansen making very little effort to entice guys like Sopoanga and Cruden to stay. 10 could end up being a problem position for NZ, I'm not convinced Barrett is a great player once he's pit under any sort of pressure and kicking is a part of that. Add to that that his two deputies in case of injury are an undersized* 15 playing 10 and a guy without anywhere near enough experience.

*An outstanding undersized player but more prudent sides will still take advantage.

Congrats to South Africa! Other than SBW's red card vs B&I Lions last year, this is the first time we've been beaten at home since...
12 September 2009: New Zealand 29-32 South Africa reffed by Nigel Owens in Hamilton.

South Africa claim 2.00 RP and move above Scotland to 6th.
New Zealand drop 2.00 RP to 92.52. Still in 1st place, but this is the lowest we've been since the 2013 Rugby Championship.
(specifically, in Round 6 that year when we beat South Africa - who were ranked 2nd then - gaining 0.98 RP, rising from 92.07 to 93.05. In Johannesberg, reffed by... wait for it... Nigel Owens.)
The pinnacle was 96.57 RP in 2016 after beating South Africa in Durban in TRC Round 6, up until the November loss to Ireland in Chicago.

Last edited:

Latest posts