• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 November Tests] England vs New Zealand 10/11/18

I have no regret at the outcome, as I literally expected we'd get pummelled...
I never thought that you guys would get pummelled. If you look through my post history and find my last weeks posts regarding this game, it's all 'this is a tough game...it'll be a close game...this is our real test' thats what I was saying.

Its the english posters that were saying England was getting pummelled or something like that lol. I know rugby too well lol.

How about how England came back into a position to have that option of whether to go for the three or a try. We scored a penalty goal and then we kicked off and England just stormed their way down. Where was that strong running before? Its no wonder Farrell went for the try.

Anyway, how many times have you seen a team kick the three points only for the opposition to come straight back and kick a three of their own and your back to square one. Thats a similar scenario to what I've described in my paragraph above where we scored and then England came back.

I would say - had you guys gone for the three, we would've been under immense pressure where its so easy to quit. However, I have seen us come back from the death on a regular its ridiculous.
Here is the irony for you. New Zealanders will applaud a captains decision to back his side and go for a try, as that is how they play rugby. Front foot forward. An English man will uses near perfect hindsight, to sit and moan about what could have been. I am more ****** about Englands inability to setup a simple drop kick in front of the posts, than a choice not to kick 3 points.

I am English, and that's one of our best displays against the ABs in my lifetime. A lot like our pre World Cup win in NZ in 2003, in very similar conditions. They do not come along that often, so a decent sign considering England's recent form.

I have no regret at the outcome, as I literally expected we'd get beaten handily any time we play the ABs.. Don't care what you say, the weather helped England's cause, England can feel no shame about the outcome and result, and the Abs can feel a bit lucky they escaped with the win. That's a fair assessment, I think....... Rest is hindsight.

Amid the fairly upbeat banter on this game, can we all just admit Mr. Bean sounds like an absolute arse.

Kaplan's point is straight wrong, you can have your hands on the ball and it still be in the ruck. It leaves the ruck the instant its picked up.

As someone that plays SH, the amount of people you meet that don't know this rule is ridiculous, especially since it has been that way for a few years now.

Kaplan's point is straight wrong, you can have your hands on the ball and it still be in the ruck. It leaves the ruck the instant its picked up.
The fact remains that, with these new laws, the 9 is overprotected at the base, the game slows down to a halt, even with his hands on the ball, and IMHO, it suffers because of it.

Oh guess what's happening? 9 has hands on ball, play stops for an age as he now prepares his box kick. If I didn't know better, id swear it was an Americanism for future branding and commercial purposes. "This box kick, brought to you by Budweiser.... Making America Great Again"

What was supposed to happen is a ref is supposed to call use it. Never bloody happens.

No idea how you actually fix it though.

What was supposed to happen is a ref is supposed to call use it. Never bloody happens.

No idea how you actually fix it though.
It's the gayest thing happening in rugby. As a former SH, you had to get rid sharpish once you put hands to the ball. Today it's strike the pose, and box kick.

It's the gayest thing happening in rugby. As a former SH, you had to get rid sharpish once you put hands to the ball. Today it's strike the pose, and box kick.

Officially you have 5 seconds from when the ball is at the back of the ruck before the ref calls use it, then you have another 5 seconds, I believe.

Having just watched it, Perenara (spelling?) picks the ball up at 5 seconds from when it appears at the back of the ruck. He doesn't spend much time with hands on the ball either, infact most 9s hover their hands near it.

Personally, I feel the protection of the 9 helps the game flow more. Especially in open play, allows them to get the ball out from the ruck to the 10 quicker without being jumped on or dragged in by the forwards.

As I said before - if Lawes or anyone is allowed to do that, then it would be the end of the box kick (not that its great) as it would always get charged down.

Didn't Youngs use the box kick effectively against us?

I can certainly see I'm going against the grain here but I still think it was fine.

It's marginal/borderline and in that case the attacking team should receive the benefit of the doubt. I'm equally certain that in those last few minutes if you scrutinised every single ruck you could find at least one AB in a marginal/borderline position, which of course wouldn't happen.

I hope anyone dismissing this as the opinion of a one-eyed Englishman will realise that I was calling it a penalty last week also.

All that being said I'm relatively happy today, we put in a performance that makes me feel we have something to build on for this coming year. If we can perform well and take two wins this autumn and push on and play well in the 6N that's all I can hope for. Is wanting Binny back fit and on top form being greedy?

For those who think Barnes is a bit too close to Farrell's backside for comfort here's Stephen Jones on Itoje.

9/10. Man of the match by a distance, no fear whatsoever of the All Blacks and continued on his Lions form all day.

On Retallick

6/10. Bewilderingly made man of the match when Itoje was way ahead. Decent show in the loose but hardly irresistible.

Time to hang up your pen, Stephen.

I can certainly see I'm going against the grain here but I still think it was fine.

It's marginal/borderline and in that case the attacking team should receive the benefit of the doubt. I'm equally certain that in those last few minutes if you scrutinised every single ruck you could find at least one AB in a marginal/borderline position, which of course wouldn't happen.

I hope anyone dismissing this as the opinion of a one-eyed Englishman will realise that I was calling it a penalty last week also.

All that being said I'm relatively happy today, we put in a performance that makes me feel we have something to build on for this coming year. If we can perform well and take two wins this autumn and push on and play well in the 6N that's all I can hope for. Is wanting Binny back fit and on top form being greedy?

I think everybody's looking at the wrong thing. Having watched the replay the key breakdown wasn't a ruck. Should have been called tackle only, so no offside line a Courtney is fine. Given it didn't look like a ruck, no standing England player invovled, I don't understand why the TMO missed this.

I never thought that you guys would get pummelled. If you look through my post history and find my last weeks posts regarding this game, it's all 'this is a tough game...it'll be a close game...this is our real test' thats what I was saying.

Its the english posters that were saying England was getting pummelled or something like that lol. I know rugby too well lol.
On balance, I would observe that New Zealand were a little off their pace during the first half - especially in the first quarter. England were direct and physical at the same time, which worked very well, especially given the poor conditions. I have been impressed with England's improvements this Autumn, especially in the breakdown and the scrum ( Moon's performance has been a real standout, closely followed by Sinclar). Although we pushed New Zealand hard, it's the small decisions and the ability to work out the problems ( on this occasion, the lineout) that makes New Zealand just that bit better than everyone else so consistently. I would also say that fitness is still an area that England could improve, they looked more tired than New Zealand at the end.

I think everybody's looking at the wrong thing. Having watched the replay the key breakdown wasn't a ruck. Should have been called tackle only, so no offside line a Courtney is fine. Given it didn't look like a ruck, no standing England player invovled, I don't understand why the TMO missed this.
Does that matter though if the ref has called it as a ruck?

You got to remember that law 16 has now changed it reads:

Ruck

Law 16

A ruck commences when at least one player is on their feet and over the ball which is on the ground (tackled player, tackler). At this point the offside lines are created. Players on their feet may use their hands to pick up the ball as long as this is immediate. As soon as an opposition player arrives, no hands can be used.

Latest posts