• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 6 Nations] Round 4 : Wales v Italy (11/03/2018) 1500hrs

Poor start from Patchell, but I think the game will open up for him later to get back into it

Happy for Seb Davies getting a start. Bit of a Blues one eye, but he's been playing really well for club and it's good to see him get the experience.

Well - the table looks a lot more pleasing now!

Before the forensic analysis - Wales played a quarter of the game at least one man down. And briefly with 2 men down and there were all those changes before the game even started. Even though the championship is decided, and Ireland deserve it btw, next weekend is looking yummy!

Le sigh. First half alrightish, but Wales could easily have had three more tries and the scoreboard flattered Italy.

I don't think Italy will be massively behind France and England in tries scored this championship which is about the only positives I can identify beyond the performances of Negri, Minozzi and to a lesser extent Allan. Scoring tries against Northrn Hemisphere defences is not easy so some credit is merited.

Allan's play really dipped after being creamed my Faletau. A great hit but a little disappointed in the cheap shots of James Davies and Liam Williams.

I thought it was a little strange to play Bisegni at centre and Benvenuti on the wing (rather than vice versa) and I don't think we got the best out of either man.

At least the scoreline of losing by 24 points (which is the average per game this year) is not completely awful.

Quite a mixed bag performance really, it kind of come together towards the 2nd half though. However Wales really need to stop throwing as many miracle off loads and grubber kicks in play, and instead take it to ground and recycle the ball. Way too often Wales were making metres getting a bit of rhythm only to kick the ball in play giving it back to Italy to boot it back down the field. A big fan of Liam Williams but he had an absolute mare yesterday, completely lost the plot and were better off without him. Watkins and Dee were positives and showed that they have a big future ahead of them, James Davies had a decent debut and showed he can compete at this level and North seems to be starting a bit to get his form back.

Quite a mixed bag performance really, it kind of come together towards the 2nd half though. However Wales really need to stop throwing as many miracle off loads and grubber kicks in play, and instead take it to ground and recycle the ball. Way too often Wales were making metres getting a bit of rhythm only to kick the ball in play giving it back to Italy to boot it back down the field. A big fan of Liam Williams but he had an absolute mare yesterday, completely lost the plot and were better off without him. Watkins and Dee were positives and showed that they have a big future ahead of them, James Davies had a decent debut and showed he can compete at this level and North seems to be starting a bit to get his form back.

Yeah agree totally. Penalty count wasn't great either.

I knew Parkes was a good player but I can't believe how well he has done in the step up from test rugby. From the 1st minute he hasn't looked out of place, it's just a shame he is 30 and not 25. Steff Evans I believe is still a work in progress, defence has improved but he often runs sideways away from support and kicks too often instead of taking the ball into contact. I wouldn't mind seeing him being given a rest next week and Adams getting another chance or maybe Amos. Anscombe did well enough to claim a bench sport for the future, despite the missed kick to touch Patchell does bring something extra over the others. Bradley Davies did well but we all know he can play at this level, I would have rather given Seb Davies 60 minutes, and I know he scored a try but I'm still unsure of Hill at this level. I don't understand the point of having Rhodri Jones cover tight head, we all know he can't play it so would rather Dillon Lewis got 10 minutes than a player who is probably never going to pay again for Wales (as a tight head anyway).

For next week I would bring most of the pack back, Faleteau definitely keeps his place, 7 is the place I'm not sure about. Dropping Navadi would be harsh but Tipruic does look class every time plays. Patchell has to start for me and you want to give him as much time as possible before the world cup next year, Scott Williams hasn't looked his best so far so I would keep Watkins. Liam Williams really looks like he's struggling for form while Halfpenny seems to have found some attacking threat from somewhere so he would get the nod at 15. North is showing enough to deserve a starting place. It would be harsh on Evans to drop him but too many moves break down with him, I would love to see Amos given a run.
my team for France:
Halfpenny, North, Watkins, Parkes, Amos, Patchell, G Davies, R Evans, Owens, Lee, Jones, Hill, Shingler, Tipruic, Faleteau
Subs: Dee, Smith, francis, S Davies, Navadi, T Williams, Anscombe, L Williams

Halfpenny, North, Williams, Parkes, evans, Patchell, G Davies, R Evans, Owens, Lee, Jones, Hill, Shingler, J Davies, Faleteau
Subs: Dee, Smith, francis, S Davies, Tipuric, A Davies, Anscombe, L Williams

Thats my team....Tough call on 13, 11 , 7 ..the rest picks itself

Touchest choice is 7 and 13. 13 scott w isnt on fire but hes a class player, I really like watkins but he just hasnt quite done enough to usurp scott w...watkins will play out the season then tour with wales and get more experience. 7 is ridiculous. when all fit, you have warburton, tipuric, jamie davies, navidi, ellis jenkins, thomas young etc
For me jamie cubby davies did enough, top tackler, top yards made won a few turnovers. Yes hes smaller but hes most effective and terrific natural rugby player with serious pace , skill and intuition. tipuric is also terrific but for this game why not roll the dice on davies? hes proved the bets 7 in the league for years, top tries, top turonvers top MOM awards etc steff evans clings on 5 tries 9 caps lots of good and bad moments needs to stop wasting possession though

Halfpenny,North,Watkins,Parkes,Evans,Patchell,GDavies,REvans,Owens,Lee,SDavies,Hill,Shingler,JDavies,Faleteau
Subs.Dee,Smith,Francis,AWJ,Tips,ADavies,Anscombe,LWilliams

1/2p looked dangerous for the first time since returning from France, Watkins did well, Steff still the best of the competitors for his shirt (for me)

James keeps his place for his tackles, turnovers, link-play, partnership with Shingler and backs....Tips can come on for either.
AWJ to bench incase ship needs steadying
Use ADavies as soon as GDavies starts to slow/does something stupid...
Liam....well he's a very naughty boy...

@MikeTheNative spot on about Parkes! Saw a great tweet after the match saying that Parkes has been the International Rugby equivalent of a perfect "Free Transfer" for Wales - just slotted in with ease. He's not the flashiest of players, but he just does all the basics so well and gives us stability in defence and go forward in attack. His passing is great, kicking game spot on (relieved pressure with some brilliant touch finders on Sunday) and can gain ground on the crash ball when needed. Definitely changed my mind on him since he was first selected in the Autumn!

For France I'd love to see the following:

15. L Halfpenny 14. J Adams 13. O Watkins 12. H Parkes 11. G North 10. R Patchell 9. G Davies 8. T Faletau 7. J Davies 6. J Tipuric 5. C Hill s 4. C AW Jones 3. T Francis 2. K Owens 1. R Evans

16. E Dee 17. N Smith 18. S Lee (D Lewis if Lee is out again) 19. S Davies 20. J Navidi 21. T Williams / A Davies 22. G Anscombe 23. S Williams / S Evans

I am a huge fan of Watkins and reckon he's got a hell of a future with Wales and definitely would like to see him start again this week. His intercept was great, and his run, step and pass to set up North was very classy. Probably a bit harsh on Scott, though can't say I'd mind if Scott starts.

Same for Steff Evans - harsh to drop him, but I'd like to see Adams given another start. Could be an option for the 23 shirt anyway, with North able to cover centre and Evans, Adams, Patch and Anscombe all comfortable at 15 should Halfpenny get injured.

The North one there was a knock on earlier I think, whatever it was it was the correct decision. The parkes try was because 'no clear and obvious grounding' despite it looking like he got it down.

cheers mike. i saw parkes over the line with the ball on the floor and the ref was stood right there..total mystery who no try...didn see the knock on for norths hat trick either, ref seemed pedantic

Latest posts