• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 Super Rugby] Round 7: Sunwolves vs. Bulls (08/04/2017)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
Super%20Rugby.png

OrULMIN.png
Versus%20Super.png
140401043934749262.png

Venue: Prince Chichibu Memorial Stadium
Time: 07:15 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Teams

Sunwolves: 15 Kotaro Matsushima, 14 Takaaki Nakazuru, 13 Timothy Lafaele, 12 Derek Carpenter, 11 Kenki Fukuoka, 10 Hayden Cripps, 9 Fumiaki Tanaka, 8 Rahboni Warren Vosayaco, 7 Shuhei Matsuhashi, 6 Yo****aka Tokunaga, 5 Uwe Helu, 4 Liaki Moli, 3 Yasuo Yamaji, 2 Yusuke Niwai, 1 Koki Yamamoto

Substitutes: 16 Takeshi Kizu, 17 Keita Inagaki, 18 Heiichiro Ito, 19 Sam Wykes, 20 Shunsuke Nunomaki, 21 Yuki Yatomi, 22 Yu Tamura, 23 Ryohei Yamanaka

Bulls: 15 Warrick Gelant, 14 Travis Ismaiel, 13 Jan Serfontein, 12 Burger Odendaal, 11 Jamba Ulengo, 10 Tian Schoeman, 9 Rudy Paige, 8 Hanro Liebenberg, 7 Jannes Kirsten, 6 Nic de Jager, 5 RG Snyman, 4 Jason Jenkins, 3 Trevor Nyakane, 2 Adriaan Strauss (captain), 1 Lizo Gqoboko.

Substitutes: 16 Edgar Marutlulle, 17 Pierre Schoeman, 18 Martin Dreyer, 19 Jaco Visagie/Hendré Stassen, 20 Jacques Potgieter, 21 Ivan van Zyl, 22 Francois Brummer, 23 Franco Naude

Last edited:
Bulls to double their wins with a win over the Sunwolves (again). Its away but TBH the Bulls did look a lot more convincing on the weekend despite dropping off at the end.

Bulls to double their wins with a win over the Sunwolves (again). Its away but TBH the Bulls did look a lot more convincing on the weekend despite dropping off at the end.

I'm hoping that this past weekend's loss was beneficial, in that we played better than we did the first 3 games. We should win this game, Even if it is in Japan.

Great game from the SunWolves! I really didnt think they would be able to go with the Bulls, but they did. All round a hugely entertaining game with some very enterprising rugby played. A big fillup for the game in Japan to have the SW win at home.

Surprising to say the least despite recent improvements in Sunwolves form. Delighted to say I was wrong that the SW would go winless after losing to the Kings and I was wrong that their coach would be a big step backwards from Hammett. Great to see Tamura in the squad at last. I can only assume he has been out injured as for me he is a top 10 fly half in world rugby. Hopefully the scrum half Shigeno reappears too at some point.

The Stormers must be laughing their backsides off. The Cheetahs and Bulls promised stiff competition at the start of the season and have just melted away feebly. A home QF is already probably assured.

Oh me, oh my...

As happy as I am as a Stormers supporter as a Bok supporter its sad to see the Bulls so limp. Start of the season I was almost expecting us to end third in the conference looking at the pre-season form of the Cheetahs and them having gone unbeaten through the CC and the Bulls just with bigger names on paper.

The most worrying element to it all is this isn't even a Bulls B team. I'm missing only a still off form Pollard. This is just unacceptable. It would've been good for the tournament apart from that we are expecting the 'Wolves to be a prime candidate for a drop?

Ugh! I'm so angry, it's not even funny. We looked like we aren't being coached. So many mistakes and knock-on's, it was frustrating to watch.

But what I don't get is why the Sunwolves are allowed to keep on going off their feet at the ruck, or diving over, not supporting their own body weight.

Still, no excuses, we were poor. And if we don't fix it soon, we will be beaten by the Kings and then risk being kicked out of Super Rugby.

Ugh! I'm so angry, it's not even funny. We looked like we aren't being coached. So many mistakes and knock-on's, it was frustrating to watch.

But what I don't get is why the Sunwolves are allowed to keep on going off their feet at the ruck, or diving over, not supporting their own body weight.

Still, no excuses, we were poor. And if we don't fix it soon, we will be beaten by the Kings and then risk being kicked out of Super Rugby.

Strauss to me is too nice of a guy. Need someone who hates losing and is a bit tougher.

Heineken, do you think there is any chance of Nollis Marais being replaced mid-season? Its not the SA way but.. damn. I get your frustration zt the 'Wolves getting away with murder at the breakdown but that shouldn't cause a loss. Not for a team who should be pushing hard for a play-off spot.

Not to rub salt in and I am hoping its not a fluke win but the Stormers had to deal with the Chiefs' shenanigans at the breakdown as well (I'm just glad Cane was unavailable!); particularly going past the ruck time after time and killing opportunities for quick recycling but credit to the ref he did at least ping both sides for side entry and had an otherwise good game. Think Wiese's binning was a good call in the context of the game and a rookie mistake from Wiese who started in only his 2nd SR game. We did go around that somewhat by trying to keep the ball alive and putting width on it, something the Bulls should have also done and they do have the caliber and strength in the backs to do so IMO. That's a coaching call though and I agree with your sentiments that they looked like there is no coaching. In fact I expect the team would be better served with the players playing off the cuff and backing their instincts.

Heineken, do you think there is any chance of Nollis Marais being replaced mid-season? Its not the SA way but.. damn. I get your frustration zt the 'Wolves getting away with murder at the breakdown but that shouldn't cause a loss. Not for a team who should be pushing hard for a play-off spot.

Not to rub salt in and I am hoping its not a fluke win but the Stormers had to deal with the Chiefs' shenanigans at the breakdown as well (I'm just glad Cane was unavailable!); particularly going past the ruck time after time and killing opportunities for quick recycling but credit to the ref he did at least ping both sides for side entry and had an otherwise good game. Think Wiese's binning was a good call in the context of the game and a rookie mistake from Wiese who started in only his 2nd SR game. We did go around that somewhat by trying to keep the ball alive and putting width on it, something the Bulls should have also done and they do have the caliber and strength in the backs to do so IMO. That's a coaching call though and I agree with your sentiments that they looked like there is no coaching. In fact I expect the team would be better served with the players playing off the cuff and backing their instincts.

I doubt that Marais will be fired mid-season. Contractual issues and all that. But I feel in a way sorry for him. The Bulls have had probably the worst schedule to start off with from all the teams. 6 out of 7 matches away from home. And unfortunately lost all of their away matches.

But we all know the Bulls are a different team at home. They were the only unbeaten team at home last year. I do however think that they will have a few more losses. There is just not enough in their tank to compete against the top teams this year.

Apart from Adriaan Strauss, all the players in the Bulls squad are 26 years or younger. So there is definitely a move in building a team. But with that said all our young guns are not performing.

Handre Pollard - Very Poor since his return from injury. Was sent home early from NZ and missed the Sunwolves game to work on his game.
RG Snyman - Trying to offload too much, keeps knocking on in the tackle. Doesn't compete on opposition lineouts. Even though he's 2.06m tall!
Warwick Gelant - Has been given very little opportunity, finally got his first start against the Sunwolves. But his decisionmaking was terrible. Trying to run back the ball without support is just stupid.
Jan Serfontein - Being overshadowed by Burger Odendaal at the moment. I didn't even know Serfontein was on the field on Saturday.
Trevor Nyakane - He's a bit of a liability on defence, and it seems like he's been given the instruction to not try and turn over the ball at the rucks.

My issue with the coaching is that whenever we slow down the game, it benefits the opposition. Our Scrumhalves, and especially Piet van Zyl takes forever to clear the ball from the ruck. By the time the ball is passed the defensive structures are already in place. But when we speed up the game, we seem to be much more attacking and we score tries. Unfortunately against the Sunwolves, we were our own enemy in knocking on the ball whenever we attacked in their 22.

The inexperience of the Ref and the TMO also didn't help. This had to be the first match this whole season where the TMO wasn't once used. And neither was there any reports of foul play from the TMO back to the referee. I mean, what is up with that? Utopia?? Plenty of high tackles went unnoticed from both teams. A lot of off the ball stuff. Yet, not a single action was taken.

The Bulls Union need a complete overall, from Management to coaching structures
Do it now and be back in a year or two, theirs a rot at the top and it's spreading down

Latest posts