• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 Super Rugby] Round 7: Stormers vs. Chiefs (08/04/2017)

My nerves are shot. Glad to lead but that Chiefs back three... we need to contain them.

Pfff, what a try. Lost for words.
Two try of the year award candidates in one game.

I love the commitment at the death. Even with an 8 point cushion.

- - - Updated - - -

Unbeaten, Baby.

- - - Updated - - -

And we go top of the log I see. Don't think even the most hard core Stormers fan would've called that pre-season. A tough couple of games still but its good to see we can indeed up the intensity.

Spent. Unbelievably stoked and proud of the lads. Won't go in depth tonight, too jacked.

What a game!!!! Congrats to the Stormers for their incredible win over the Chiefs, but congrats to both really... That match is a year-long highlight in itself

What a game, I'll just leave these here:

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tTzcZjNJNq4[/video]
[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J7xfAs-Yqhk[/video]

Congrats peeps, you not only beat them but did so in style. To be honest, i thought you'd lose composure in the second half but your lads proved me wrong.
Enjoy the win.

Great game to watch, one of the most entertaining of he season with some absolutely cracking tries.

Good God that pass!

Two awesome tries, made my night. That pass gets better each time I watch it

Rugby of the highest caliber from both teams, great tries, good to see South African rugby returning to strength, it'll go a long way to keeping Super Rugby alive and competitive. The Stormers are real contenders for the ***le this season. It'll be interesting to see how well they travel.

Surprising result, Chiefs not at their best, playing in SA which is always hard, and the Stormers played at 110%. Chiefs scored the best try I have probably ever seen in the first half, and a very good one from the Stormers late in the game. All in all very entertaining.

Hopefully its just the wake up call the Chiefs needed and their one bad game for the season, with the NZ conference so tight they need to get back on top quickly.

At least there is one side out of the NZ conference that looks like they could win the odd game at the top level. If Super Rugby is to have a future it needs more of that.

Fair call Cruz_del_Sur, you might be right, they might be able to mix it too.

Sadly had to settle for the highlights only. Mystified how this is the same Stormers that got hammered at home in the QF last year. I'll probably stop underestimating them now :p

Sadly had to settle for the highlights only. Mystified how this is the same Stormers that got hammered at home in the QF last year. I'll probably stop underestimating them now :p

No Schalk Burger standing at 1st receiver. And no JdJ, DDA and Van Wyk dropping balls or killing opportunities in whichever manner. Our 3 new faces in the backs actually have some ball sense and ability to round off the good work done by the good pack we've had for a while now.

Marais has been a breath of fresh air at the back. And I'd never have thought it but losing three test centres in pre-season and the 1st match has done us a big favor in forcing us to field Viljoen who is actually a fullback but has just clicked. Lleyds is making it difficult for Senatla to reclaim his jersey as well.

Last edited:
not suprised the chiefs dropped this game, despite winning last weekend they were off beat and having to travel to SA during the week doesn't give them a chance to fix those issues in training. And missing sam cane is a big blow against a good SA side. But I think they can win the last two games in this away tour and get back home in good shape. Apparently Cane is back next weekend too.

I've not seen the game yet but that try has to be the try of the year. How can that be beaten? That may be the most impressive try I've ever seen in super rugby...

Damien McKenzie has been amazing this season, I've been saying it every week so I have to say it again lol. We know how good his running game has been but this year his overall game has been near faultless. Positional play, High ball work and defense are all top shelf. Last year he was very good while still being our 2nd best fullback to Ben Smith. IMO McKenzie is clearly NZ's best fullback so far this season. Creates a crazy situation considering his long term goal has to be at 10.

Well thank you Stormers! Thank you for making my Saturday at the end than how it began.

This had to be the game of the tournament so far. And Dillyn Leyds, what a pass! But for me the MOTM was little Cheslin Kolbe. He played out of his skin on Saturday. And why can't Kolisi not play like that when he's wearing a bok jersey???

Absolutely amazing!

Once again incredibly proud of this team, we've been called craven week midgets, lucky to win our games thus far but the lads stood tall this weekend.
A quick summary of where I think we're at at the moment.

We're attacking really well but I think first and foremost we need to look to our forward pack for our success, our locks are beasts (although depth a little bit of a concern) and our front row has really stood up, our tight five has definitely put forth a claim to best tight five in the competition, the best still to come in the Lions, Saders, Canes but signs are good. Wilcow Louw has been a revelation, very nice to see some tight-heads coming through in WP.

Special mention to Kolisi who I have always liked but considered a bit of a jack of all trades master of none - he's still a jack of all trades but he's raised his game that extra 10 or 20 percent and suddenly he is carrying with intensity, linking cleverly and defending like an absolute trojan (he even got 3 turnovers this weekend, but I consider that an outlier - he still isn't a fetcher). It shows character to step up when you're named captain.

As for the backs I am flabbergasted they are playing like they are, Viljoen and DdP were complete unknowns last year and have really stood up (especially EW, who looks to be a strong runner with a cheeky kicking game) as for our outside backs, I think it is the case of us playing a game that suits them. SP is an average territorial kicker at best, and Kolbe and Leyds are not exactly complete players, but what they can do is step, run lines and offload. As long as we continue letting them do what they're good at we'll succeed with these players.

Anyway I don't want to get ahead of myself, we have a long way to go before we are even mentioned as ***le contenders - If we can win 2 of our next 5 games against the; Lions(h), Crusaders(a), Highlanders(a), Hurricanes(a), Blues(h), I think we have a legitimate chance.

On the Chiefs they are still an amazing team, you've had much harder fixtures than us and traveling to SA is not an easy task. I wouldn't say you have too much to worry about. D-Mac is a ridiculous human being.

Last edited:
not suprised the chiefs dropped this game, despite winning last weekend they were off beat and having to travel to SA during the week doesn't give them a chance to fix those issues in training. And missing sam cane is a big blow against a good SA side. But I think they can win the last two games in this away tour and get back home in good shape. Apparently Cane is back next weekend too.

I've not seen the game yet but that try has to be the try of the year. How can that be beaten? That may be the most impressive try I've ever seen in super rugby...

Damien McKenzie has been amazing this season, I've been saying it every week so I have to say it again lol. We know how good his running game has been but this year his overall game has been near faultless. Positional play, High ball work and defense are all top shelf. Last year he was very good while still being our 2nd best fullback to Ben Smith. IMO McKenzie is clearly NZ's best fullback so far this season. Creates a crazy situation considering his long term goal has to be at 10.
Do yourself a favor and watch the game despite the result. If the culling to 15 teams means we get more games of more balanced teams going at it like this then sign me on!

McKenzie and Lowe IMO kept the Chiefs in the game almost on their own. I put this win down to our pack dominance and the Chiefs forwards just couldn't seems to build forward momentum- it was all the back three starting what worked for the Chiefs. Once we tidied up our kicking in response to the Chiefs back three seemingly able to dismantle us at will if given space the game felt won to me. Not sure how the ABs are going include all of the two Barretts, McKenzie, Smith and Cruden. I suppose the likes of Milner-Skudder and others will be vying for wing spots but I just don't know how to fit all the options for the ABs backline in- someone is going to miss out that might very well be 2nd choice in the world in their position. 1st world problems.

Well thank you Stormers! Thank you for making my Saturday at the end than how it began.

This had to be the game of the tournament so far. And Dillyn Leyds, what a pass! But for me the MOTM was little Cheslin Kolbe. He played out of his skin on Saturday. And why can't Kolisi not play like that when he's wearing a bok jersey???

Absolutely amazing!

Yeah, Kolbe looks a lot more solid on the wing. The funny thing is that his impact in this game was more in a defensive capacity which is ridiculous for a guy his size! Lleyds is growing on me. I was sad we won't see much of Senatla this season which I was hoping would be his break-out but he is going to struggle to get in with Lleyds and Kolbe playing like they are.

Kolisi seems to be taking the captaincy to his head but in a good way. Great to see. Leading from the front like that. Reminds me lot of Juan Smith- quitely enough going about his business but not giving an inch. I'm still hoping we can lure a fetcher type player but as is we are going well.

Latest posts