Stormers.png

SATURDAY, MARCH 25
Singapore - 12:55 (CAT)

Sunwolves
TBA

Stormers
TBA

Last edited:
So this is without a shadow of a doubt the game of the round, right!?

Especially with both Chiefs and Hurricanes on the bye.

I wanted to say surely we won't fall into the same trap as last year where we only just leveled the score with the Sunwolves at the end of the match but I see we are resting our best players. In conjunction with injuries this could very well backfire.. again. If we want to have a home semi final we will have to do more than top our conference which should be doable. Expecting that we will be looking at probably a maximum of a 2/5 return from NZ sides this means we cannot drop the ball on these types of games. TBF we did manage against the Bulls and Jaguares both of which were tricky matches. Hopefully we can take the points and then a refreshed team can build some momentum heading into our tougher matches.

Players we are resting;
Etzebeth, PSdT, SP Marais, Frans Malherbe

Players injured;
Juan de Jongh, Huw Jones, Damian de Allende, Cheslin Kolbe, Jano Vermaak, Jean-Luc du Plessis, Leolin Zas and Scarra Ntubeni, Nizaam Carr

So apart from loose head prop and in the loose trio we are running with a 'B'-team (Stormers' touring squad of 25 below);
Bjorn Basson, Kurt Coleman, Jan de Klerk, Dan du Plessis, Robert du Preez, Dewaldt Duvenage, Rynhardt Elstadt, JC Janse van Rensburg, Oli Kebble, Siya Kolisi (Kolisi), Dan Kriel, Dillyn Leyds, Wilco Louw, Godlen Masimla, Bongi Mbonambi, Sikhumbuzo Notshe, Caylib Oosthuizen, Ramone Samuels, JD Shickerling, Seabelo Senatla, Frans van Wyk, Chris van Zyl, EW Viljoen, Cobus Wiese, Damian Willemse.

So I am expecting;
1) JC JvR, 2) Bongi Mbonambi, 3) Wilco Louw, 4) Jan de Klerk, 5) JD Shickerling, 6) Rynhardt Elstadt, 7) Siya Kolisi (C), 8) S Notshe, 9) D Duvenhage
10) Rob du Preez, 11) S Senatla, 12) Dan Kriel, 13) EW Viljoen, 14) Bjorn Basson, 15) Dillyn Lleyds

Unless they trust someone who hasn't had a start yet to slot right in at 15. Or EW Viljoen could start at 15 and someone else comes in in the centers. I doubt Elstadt will play in the locks. De Klerk and Shickerling are quality even if they are young and in the shadow of Etzebeth and Du Toit.

I really wouldn't mind seeing Damian Willemse and Seabelo Senatla get decent game time in an open, loose game though our best bet to that BP win is probably to trust a superior pack and set piece as much as possible against the Sunwolves. I'm wondering what has happened t Justin Philips? I do not see him listed as injured and he looked good coming on at 9 from the bench.

Last edited:
Players we are resting;
Etzebeth, PSdT, SP Marais, Frans Malherbe

I see your concern about resting players (I feel it too) again in this match after what happened last year and also what has happened to the Lions two seasons in a row against the Jaguares, but I do feel our hand was forced. We need to rest our Springbok contracted players, what every five matches? and with a lineup of the Cheetahs (consistently our bogey team, plus factor in some jetlag), the Chiefs and the Lions ahead after this at home, I don't think there was any better time to rest them.

Who from the Stormers do you expect to play well in this fixture? Important & imperative Fantasy Footy information! Also what is your score predictions?

I see your concern about resting players (I feel it too) again in this match after what happened last year and also what has happened to the Lions two seasons in a row against the Jaguares, but I do feel our hand was forced. We need to rest our Springbok contracted players, what every five matches? and with a lineup of the Cheetahs (consistently our bogey team, plus factor in some jetlag), the Chiefs and the Lions ahead after this at home, I don't think there was any better time to rest them.

Fair enough I suppose. I totally forgot about that daft forced rest clause. Really think it should be more flexible but anyway its better than nothing. This won't be our toughest fixture and in all honesty we should do fine without.

Who from the Stormers do you expect to play well in this fixture? Important & imperative Fantasy Footy information! Also what is your score predictions?

This would be my expected line-up. My picks for the Stormers would include Notshe, Lleyds and Senatla. The Front row should also do well in comparison to other front rows this weekend I'd expect.

1) JC JvR, 2) Bongi Mbonambi, 3) Wilco Louw, 4) Jan de Klerk, 5) JD Shickerling, 6) Rynhardt Elstadt, 7) Siya Kolisi (C), 8) S Notshe, 9) D Duvenhage
10) Rob du Preez, 11) S Senatla, 12) Dan Kriel, 13) EW Viljoen, 14) Bjorn Basson, 15) Dillyn Lleyds

Stormers team named.

15 Dillyn Leyds, 14 Bjorn Basson, 13 EW Viljoen, 12 Dan Kriel, 11 Seabelo Senatla, 10 Robert du Preez, 9 Dewaldt Duvenage, 8 Sikhumbuzo Notshe, 7 Siya Kolisi (captain), 6 Rynhardt Elstadt, 5 JD Shickerling, 4 Chris van Zyl, 3 Wilco Louw, 2 Bongi Mbonambi, 1 JC Janse van Rensburg

Substitutes: 16 Ramone Samuels, 17 Caylib Oosthuizen, 18 Oli Kebble, 19 Jan de Klerk, 20 Cobus Wiese, 21 Godlen Masimla, 22 Kurt Coleman, 23 Dan du Plessis

Pretty much as expected part from at lock where Fleck has opted for Van Zyl (whom I don't know) ahead of Kleyn which I find surprising since I really do rate Kleyn. Do we have 5 class locks on the books? We will probably have to say goodbye to our classy young locks though as I don't think Etzebeth and Du Toit will allow any of them game time apart from during down time.

17362846_1424894234229714_4136810737690581749_n.jpg

I don't understand this constantly cycling between half backs all the time. Tanaka/Cripps is definitely stronger than Uchida/Ogura. Will be a heavy defeat, but I've been pleasently surprised with some of the Sunwolves play since the Hurricanes hiding. There's never been a doubt they can score tries, but they've been able to defend fairly well for periods of their last few games.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a close one actually. I fully expect we (Stormers..) should win but if we rush our chances thinking its already 'in the bag' and if we are tempted to play too loose- both very likely- we could be in for a surprise and having to play catch-up like last year in this away fixture... especially with our team dynamic in all likelihood set to be disrupted by the heavy player rotation, travel and coming off the bye.

What a half! And now the first try in the second half. Great rugby by the Sunwolves. 31-20

The Sunwolves always fade sadly.

Wish the wolves where in the Aus conference.

I think they will be next season. The Aussies teams are no worse than the South African teams though. Both nations going through a really bad period.

The Sunwolves always fade sadly.

I think they will be next season. The Aussies teams are no worse than the South African teams though. Both nations going through a really bad period.

I reckon the aus teams would still smash them BUT they play in a more similar style to the Subwolves and I think they could benefit from the Japanese/Asian market in Aus.

Also wish they would stop playing in Singapore.

That was a pretty bad miss at a very important goal. Sunwolves look knackered.

Also wish they would stop playing in Singapore.

Me to, the crowds sucks & they're a Japanese team. It's a shame.

- - - Updated - - -

Damn, the Sunwolves won't even get a bonus point. That's cruel.

Yeah you gotta feel for them. Unlike Zebro and Treviso up north, the Sunwolves can actually compete and score tries. Hats off to them. I'm excited for the future prospects of Japanese rugby as a whole. They just suit rugby so much.

bugger, really hoping they would get up for a win there.

I dont think it would work having them in the Aus conference either, I really think it was a mistake expanding Super Rugby to include a Japanese team and South American team.

None the less they are fun to watch!

Pretty sure EW Viljoen got a great try stolen from him because the Ref misunderstood the TMO. Both were second language English speakers and it sounded like the TMO said no offside you may award the try, the ref then responded "so offside" I may not award the try". And blew his whistle for the previous penalty. That's a bit of a disaster and it's a good thing it won't affect the result.

Pretty sure EW Viljoen got a great try stolen from him because the Ref misunderstood the TMO. Both were second language English speakers and it sounded like the TMO said no offside you may award the try, the ref then responded "so offside" I may not award the try". And blew his whistle for the previous penalty. That's a bit of a disaster and it's a good thing it won't affect the result.

Yeah I saw that. To be fair to the on field official, that guys English was simply atrocious and he shouldn't have been in that position, or at least had a translator.

It was comical and amateur, it sums up the state of this competition really.

Latest posts