• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 Super Rugby] Round 1: Sunwolves vs. Hurricanes (25/02/2017)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
Super%20Rugby.png

OrULMIN.png
Versus%20Super.png
Hurricanes.png

Venue: Prince Chichibu Memorial Stadium
Time: 06:15 (CAT, GMT+2)

Teams

Sunwolves: TBA

Hurricanes: 15 Jordie Barrett, 14 Cory Jane, 13 Matt Proctor, 12 Ngani Laumape, 11 Julian Savea, 10 Otere Black, 9 TJ Perenara (captain), 8 Blade Thomson, 7 Ardie Savea, 6 Brad Shields, 5 Michael Fatialofa, 4 James Blackwell, 3 Jeffery To'omaga-Allen, 2 Ricky Riccitelli, 1 Chris Eves

Substitutes:16 Dane Coles, 17 Ben May, 18 Mike Kainga, 19 Reed Prinsep, 20 Callum Gibbins, 21 Chris Smylie, 22 Beauden Barrett, 23 Vince Aso

Last edited:
This is going to be ugly. Like 92 points vs Cheetahs ugly. Last year the Sunwolves had a good coach and a soft schedule. This year they have neither.

This is going to be ugly. Like 92 points vs Cheetahs ugly. Last year the Sunwolves had a good coach and a soft schedule. This year they have neither.

Tu dis pas mal de bêtises...Les Sunwolves ont un très bon staff et un effectif renforcé cette année.

Agreed with Hinato, I have no doubt the Hurricanes will win, but I think the Sunwolves will show a lot of heart.
Especially at home, before they have already experienced a few losses, while the Hurricanes may still be a bit rusty.
As for Filo Tiatia I see no reason not to give him the benefit of the doubt, it's not exactly like he has zero coaching experience, Mark Hammet wasn't the one to lead the Canes to their current heights anyway, it took a change of coaching to do that.

Hopefully not too much of a beating.

Last edited:
Si ils ne battent pas les Kings la semaine prochaine, ils sont presque certain d'être sans victoire. Je considère vraiment Hammet comme un bon entraîneur pour la façon dont il a obtenu les Sunwolves et le Japon jouant lsst année. Je souhaite que mon non-sens pourrait être plus optimiste. Quelles sont les attentes pour les Sunwolves cette saison au Japon?

If they do not beat the Kings next week, they are almost certain to be without a win. I really consider Hammet as a good coach for how he got the Sunwolves and Japan playing lsst year. I wish my nonsense could be more optimistic. What are the expectations for the Sunwolves this season in Japan?

Guys,

Please keep your posts in English. If you continue using other languages on the English or Matchday threads, the posts will be removed.

Sunwolves

15 Riaan Viljoen, 14 Takaaki Nakazuru, 13 Timothy Lafaele, 12 Derek Carpenter, 11 Kenki Fukuoka, 10 Hikaru Tamura, 9 Keisuke Uchida, 8 Willie Britz, 7 Edward Quirk, 6 Malgene Ilaua, 5 Sam Wykes, 4 Liaki Moli, 3 Heiichiro Ito, 2 Shota Horie, 1 Masataka Mikami

Substitutes: 16 Takeshi Hino, 17 Koki Yamamoto, 18 Takuma Asahara, 19 Kotaro Yatabe, 20 Shokei Kin, 21 Kaito Shigeno, 22 Ryohei Yamanaka, 23 Shota Emi

Hurricanes

15 Jordie Barrett, 14 Cory Jane, 13 Matt Proctor, 12 Ngani Laumape, 11 Julian Savea, 10 Otere Black, 9 TJ Perenara (captain), 8 Blade Thomson, 7 Ardie Savea, 6 Brad Shields, 5 Michael Fatialofa, 4 James Blackwell, 3 Jeffery To'omaga-Allen, 2 Ricky Riccitelli, 1 Chris Eves

Substitutes: 16 Dane Coles, 17 Ben May, 18 Mike Kainga, 19 Reed Prinsep, 20 Callum Gibbins, 21 Chris Smylie, 22 Beauden Barrett, 23 Vince Aso

Realistically it will be a wash for the Canes

Guys,

Please keep your posts in English. If you continue using other languages on the English or Matchday threads, the posts will be removed.

Apologies. I hope Hinato can post using google translate. Also apologies for my pessimism with the Sunwolves. A lot of it is to do with the travelling and the schedule rather than the coach. I think even a top European team like Glasgow would struggle to pick up more than two wins with this Sunwolves schedule and travelling. It is absolutely rock hard!

For those that are interested, here is a link to our recent interview with the Sunwolves captain Edward Quirk who talks about the challenges faced last season and his hopes for this season: https://soundcloud.com/user-260271034/ed-quirk-19022017-1316 Also, please check out our article where he talks a bit about the Hurricanes: http://www.jrugbypodcast.com/sunwol...canes-match-well-be-throwing-the-kitchen-sink and our 'Team News' article: http://www.jrugbypodcast.com/sunwolves/team-news-sunwolves-v-hurricanes

Not sure if I should stay up or night for this, Try and wake up at 4 am (which ain't happening) or just record it.

I'm leaning on staying up all night I can finish watching a few shows like Vikings.

First twenty minutes of game:
Opens watchespn app sees wolves down 15
Closes app to come here to post something snarky about nebulae puppies but forgets
Goes back to app and sees wolves kick off again

- - - Updated - - -

That savea try looked like when they show NFL players and their highlights from high school

To be fair he did so that to the French national team

So blatantly a forward pass there from the Sunwolves for their first Try. A little disappointed the commentators chose not to say anything.

The one hurricane try had a blatant forward pass as well

Taking away that try would have just been mean, game was decided 10 minutes in

Also apologies for my pessimism with the Sunwolves. A lot of it is to do with the travelling and the schedule rather than the coach. I think even a top European team like Glasgow would struggle to pick up more than two wins with this Sunwolves schedule and travelling. It is absolutely rock hard!

This is a key issue and often northern hemisphere rugby fans are completely unaware just how much travelling and intensity there is with week in week out rugby in both the Super Rugby fraternity and the Rugby Championship.

The Sunwolves need to be dropped from this league along with one Saffer team and one Aussie team.
The Sunwolves are not just woeful, they are a disgrace.

Latest posts