• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 Super Rugby] QF4: Stormers vs. Chiefs (22/07/2017)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
2hUozcT.jpg

Stormers.png
vjKuIU4.gif

Venue: DHL Newlands
Time: 17:00 CAT (SA, GMT+2)
Teams

Stormers: 15 SP Marais, 14 Cheslin Kolbe, 13 EW Viljoen, 12 Damian de Allende, 11 Dillyn Leyds, 10 Damian Willemse, 9 Jano Vermaak, 8 Nizaam Carr, 7 Rynhardt Elstadt, 6 Siya Kolisi (captain), 5 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Frans Malherbe, 2 Bongi Mbonambi, 1 JC Janse van Rensburg.

Substitutes:
16 Ramone Samuels, 17 Oli Kebble, 18 Wilco Louw, 19 Chris van Zyl, 20 Sikhumbuzo Notshe, 21 Justin Phillips, 22 Seabelo Senatla, 23 Juan de Jongh

Chiefs: TBA

Last edited:
We seem to be rekindling that attacking intent with Vermaak and Willemse in the halves and Lleyds has been in fine for at the back. I'm hoping De Allende can take his game up another level. The forwards should go fine. I'm waiting to hear if Kitshoff will be available to us. One guy who needs to pick up his game is Pieter-Steph. As is he is behind both De Jager and Mostert for the Bokke.

Waiting to hear news ITO team line-ups for both teams but at home we should be able to be right in this match even with a u20 player guiding us... I hope.

We seem to be rekindling that attacking intent with Vermaak and Willemse in the halves and Lleyds has been in fine for at the back. I'm hoping De Allende can take his game up another level. The forwards should go fine. I'm waiting to hear if Kitshoff will be available to us. One guy who needs to pick up his game is Pieter-Steph. As is he is behind both De Jager and Mostert for the Bokke.

Waiting to hear news ITO team line-ups for both teams but at home we should be able to be right in this match even with a u20 player guiding us... I hope.

Well, I think you guys need to step up. You weren't as good as you think you were against the Bulls, in a game you should have won by 15+ points. How a debutant prop can outmuscle the Stormers for the better part of half an hour, is not good news for the Stormers.

And your lineouts was terrible. RG Snyman and Jenkins stole at least 5 of your throw-ins. How does that happen when your locks and hooker are all Springboks????

I am not a believer in the Stormers, sorry. They'll need to play absolutely lights out to pull this off as their defence will give the Chiefs plenty opportunities.

Well, I think you guys need to step up. You weren't as good as you think you were against the Bulls, in a game you should have won by 15+ points. How a debutant prop can outmuscle the Stormers for the better part of half an hour, is not good news for the Stormers.

And your lineouts was terrible. RG Snyman and Jenkins stole at least 5 of your throw-ins. How does that happen when your locks and hooker are all Springboks????
I am not a believer in the Stormers, sorry. They'll need to play absolutely lights out to pull this off as their defence will give the Chiefs plenty opportunities.

HEY-HEY-HEY!! Can't you see I'm trying to be optimistic for once!?

Sure, we are underdogs but we could conceivably pull it off. I am choosing to focus on the 20% chance I give us. We'll need a bit of luck and focus on defense but we are a top 8 team (even if 8th) and given the right opportunities can beat anyone bar maybe the Lions, Crusaders and Hurricanes IMO.

Haha. In the interests of optimism I'd point out you got the 7th most points. Go Stormers! :p

Haha. In the interests of optimism I'd point out you got the 7th most points. Go Stormers! :p
That's more like it LOL.

I'm gonna continue building us up.. We have in 2017 a 100% success rate against NZ opposition at home. We have historically a positive win % against NZ opposition across the globe. Our weak defense, scrum and line-outs against the Bulls are merely a ruse to get the Chiefs coming here relaxed. Cape Town is as much a holiday town as a city. I am sure our hotel staff are going to pamper and spoil the arriving Chiefs players like they are visiting royalty. Whispering while they sleep how we have already accepted defeat and are just humbly waiting for them to simply turn up. Don't even put on studs.

EZ game, Stormers to crush the hapless Chiefs by 20, Stormers to then go on and win the ***le.

In all seriousness I would give us more of a 40% chance of sneaking a victory, we seem to raise our game at home agaisnt the Kiwi sides, and our backs are hitting form at the right time. I don't think the Chiefs will dominate us up front.

A lot will come down to tactics, if we kick the ball to the Chiefs back three we will get destroyed. Keeping possession will be key, which I do think is more likely with Willemse at the helm, it forces us to go all in on attack.

Last edited:
Yip, what I am hoping for is

1) a functioning line-out
2) a lift in defense; we've gone hot and cold throughout the season.
3) effective kicking from us

IF we manage those it'll go a long way to keeping us in it. We do have the ability to score some points of our own though and should back ourselves ball in hand more often than not.

I hope it's a closer game than when they met last year.

For me it depends which Chiefs team turns up: the Stormers' players will need to be operating at 90 - 95% effectiveness to challenge the opposition.

Saying that I'm going to put my neck on the line and say that I want the Stormers to win.

Yip, what I am hoping for is

1) a functioning line-out
2) a lift in defense; we've gone hot and cold throughout the season.
3) effective kicking from us

IF we manage those it'll go a long way to keeping us in it. We do have the ability to score some points of our own though and should back ourselves ball in hand more often than not.
I'm less greedy I'm just looking for:
1) Absolute domination in every facet of the game.
2) A vial of the Chief's players tears for later consumption.

I think the chiefs are clearly the better side, they have been the better side this season and have a much better record and should win it.
Its just a matter of are they good enough to overcome the travel factor and the lions tour hangover to win a big game like this? Its an absolute prick of a travel schedule to get over for this game. They played on Saturday evening then they were on a bus at 2am Sunday morning to start the long haul trip

I think the chiefs are clearly the better side, they have been the better side this season and have a much better record and should win it.
Its just a matter of are they good enough to overcome the travel factor and the lions tour hangover to win a big game like this? Its an absolute prick of a travel schedule to get over for this game. They played on Saturday evening then they were on a bus at 2am Sunday morning to start the long haul trip
Please don't be offended but I don't it's that clear the Chiefs are MUCH better.

Yes you have a better record but we didn't play any of the Aussie sides this year. We're 2/5 agaisnt the Kiwi sides and we've already beaten the Chiefs at home once, I have no doubt the Chiefs are the better side but I don't think it's as clear cut as you're making out. I fully expect the Chiefs to win but if we pitch up I do think we can steal it at home.

Didn't this game happened already during the regular season and the chiefs lost?

Didn't this game happened already during the regular season and the chiefs lost?

big difference between a regular season game and a final, I dont think that result has much weight now. should we mention what happened when these teams met in this game last year?
no disrespect to the stormers but Honestly I think after a string of big games against NZ teams early on the chiefs got complacent and didn't prepare well against the stormers. They probably took them lightly knowing they thrashed them in their previous meeting. And I think the regular season loss to the stormers should help the chiefs be better prepared and take them more seriously.

Please don't be offended but I don't it's that clear the Chiefs are MUCH better.

Yes you have a better record but we didn't play any of the Aussie sides this year. We're 2/5 agaisnt the Kiwi sides and we've already beaten the Chiefs at home once, I have no doubt the Chiefs are the better side but I don't think it's as clear cut as you're making out. I fully expect the Chiefs to win but if we pitch up I do think we can steal it at home.

saying you dont get games against weak aussie sides is countered by the fact the stormers are in a pool with the Cheetahs, bulls and sunwoulves.

we do basically agree though, that the chiefs are the better side but also that the stormers do have a chance because its a home game and travel will be a factor. I think the stormers are good enough this year that with home ground advantage if the chiefs are off their game the stormers can win.

Change of subject :)
selection is going to be interesting from a chiefs perspective.
Chiefs did get to rest the big 3 (Retalick, Cane and ALB)
Messam didn't play due to injury but it sounds like its not serious and he should be able to play.
Ngatai picked up an an ankle injury, hopefully he comes good. he looked in good form and even with his ankle strapped up he proved very hard to tackle.
Michael Leitch is also looking in better form.
The chiefs scrum was excellent against the Brumbies. Hames looking very good, hopefully the international break allowed hames and Laulala to freshen up.
Mckenzie got up to speed quickly after the break.
Generally things are fairly positive, its just a case of the combinations getting back into sync with what is expected to be a number of changes through the whole lineup.
on the bad side I think we have lost Seu and McNicol for the remainder of the season. maybe Dominic Bird as well...?

Just caught up on the Brumbies v Chiefs match. Chiefs look very beatable. I'm changing my initial % and bumping us up to 40% at least.

big difference between a regular season game and a final, I dont think that result has much weight now. should we mention what happened when these teams met in this game last year?
So let me get this straight... in your mind, what happened this season is irrelevant but you feel confortable enough to bring up last season's game to support your argument?
And regarding the "big difference", i'm pretty sure it is still 15 vs 15, same rules apply, you are playing in their back yard and you have to travel a lot while they do not.

Just caught up on the Brumbies v Chiefs match. Chiefs look very beatable. I'm changing my initial % and bumping us up to 40% at least.
Indeed, I was reading through this thread, and preparing to comment based on that match. I thought the brumbies did pretty good for large parts of that match, and the score flattered the Chiefs. Couple of iffy decisions never went the way of the brumbies too as I recall. Clearly, a different mind set for the brumbies at home, than a playoff game in SA, but form is form, and travel is the big equalizer. Going to be a good one to watch.

Latest posts